View Poll Results: Which of these three towns is the best for hunting, fishing, lifestyle?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Juneau

4 11.43%
  • Sitka

17 48.57%
  • Ketchikan

14 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Town For Sportsman Juneau, Sitka or Ketchikan- A Poll

Default Best Town For Sportsman Juneau, Sitka or Ketchikan- A Poll

So, if you're options are one of these three places, and it's a career oriented move that demands that you be in one of the three, how do you rank them? Strangely, this is what's on the table right now.

We like fly-fishing mostly, prefer trout over salmon. Like steelhead. Insane about duck hunting followed closely by big game hunting.

Now, these aren't the only factors involved in this move, quality of life is also important- and Juneau seems to lead the pack on this one. For now, from a sporting/quality of life/ease of travel perspective, which one of these three takes the cake?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    So, if you're options are one of these three places, and it's a career oriented move that demands that you be in one of the three, how do you rank them? Strangely, this is what's on the table right now.

We like fly-fishing mostly, prefer trout over salmon. Like steelhead. Insane about duck hunting followed closely by big game hunting.

Now, these aren't the only factors involved in this move, quality of life is also important- and Juneau seems to lead the pack on this one. For now, from a sporting/quality of life/ease of travel perspective, which one of these three takes the cake?
    Move to Ketchikan. Buy a boat. Done.

I would much prefer to live in Ketchikan than Juneau. Easier access to POW and many other wonderful places from Ketchikan.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sitka has my vote
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sitka has lots of opportunity.

I can't seem to vote, but I'd prefer Ketchikan first, Sitka second, then Juneau. With all three, a boat is a must, but with Ketchikan, you also have the roads of Prince of Wales Island nearby to enjoy. I like southeast more than any other area of the state, but you've got to be tolerant of the rain.

Juneau... if you need to work and you are employable....only 6.5 percent unemployed, lowest in Alaska.
    Any/either or your choices....you will need a 22'+- boat for local hunting and fishing.
    Any/either/all you will need to fly (commercial?) to other AK locations to hunt moose/caribou/sheep.
    All three location experience a high yearly rainfall.

Sounds like you need to travel and make your decision...

dennis

jwolf

Yes, I suppose its a decision based upon what you deem is more/most important for you and your circumstance

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Juneau... if you need to work and you are employable....only 6.5 percent unemployed, lowest in Alaska.
    Any/either or your choices....you will need a 22'+- boat for local hunting and fishing.
    Any/either/all you will need to fly (commercial?) to other AK locations to hunt moose/caribou/sheep.
    All three location experience a high yearly rainfall.

Sounds like you need to travel and make your decision...

dennis

So Benjy...tell us more about yourself, so we can decide what is best for you. Really, we can make this important decision very logically with additional information.
    Occupation?
    Independently wealthy?
    Do you have a private pilot license?
    Are you a boat guy?
    Married?
    Kids?
    Do you enjoy spending time with them?
    What color is your dog?

dennis

"What color is your dog" really?? LOL

Do you have webbed feet?

Do you want to develope webbed feet?

I have webbed feet.

I carry paddles everywhere. Honestly....who wants to come to Sitka and deal with all this rain. I only live here because they pay me two million bucks a year. The hunting....it's too hard for the average man. Honestly.....the water it's always rough and the seas way too high. Think Deadliest Catch, way to rough. The mountains, well, there are bears behind every tree too. Cliffs, there are cliffs everywhere and the trees are downed all over making walking way too tough. Oh well, I better go load up my kayak and rifle. There's hunting and fishing to do.

ok, I will tell you a little bit more. I am a fly-fishign guide here in MT. My fiancee is a lawyer, or is almost a lawyer. She is nearly done with law school and looking to clerk in the federal court system. We are both adventurous and looking for something new. I have also worked for a fortune 300 company as an outside salesman and I was hoping to be in more of a population center so I could get into b to b sales in some capacity up there. I probably won't be able to do that in these locations. I have two boats, and here they are:

I am trying to sell the duck hunting sled right now, though if things change and we have an opportunity to move farther north, like Anchorage, I will keep it. No kids. 1 black lab. I probably hunt ducks 60-70 days per-year, and big game 20, fly fish just a ton. Here, I can get in my truck and drive anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours and be in great hunting. I still want to be able to hunt with ease. We are not independently wealthy or anything, and this will probably be a little bit of a challenge financially. I grew up flying but don't have a license or a plane, and no plans to get one. As far as a 22' boat- probably don't need anything else that resembles standing in the rain and tearing up $100 bills. I do not necessarily want to work in the service industry- but I did own and sell a successful whitewater rafting company and also have a lot of fly fishing experience/guiding under my belt. Have also guided elk and deer a couple of seasons. I could do that and wouldn't mind it for some time but hoping to get more of a career type position.

What is the pay scale like up there? Real estate seems pretty high considering what you get..

And here's the dog:

Unless you have the employment angle sewn up, I can't imagine too many instances where Anchorage wouldn't be a better choice than the 3 areas you mentioned. Anchorage has access to over 1/2 the state's population via the road system and much broader job opportunties. Any of the 3 places you're polling you should sell your current ride, get a beater locally & buy the boat. The boat will do for you what the truck currently does. If you don't get the boat you'll have to charter some sort of transport to do most of your hunting & fishing. Or find a friend (who does own a boat) FAST. Then you're obligated to "tag along & share the expense" status.
    There are opportunties up here, but there willl also be a learning curve - it takes most people a season or two until they are comfortable in their understanding of the fish & game regs (although I've looked at MT's & you might have less trouble than most).
    I've never visited the area's of intrest & have no opinion, but would probably go to the Ketichan area as first choice - there are some giant blacktails on POW, some great black bear hunting opportunties and mountian goats nearby; as well as some outstanding steelhead fishing. You'll also make Bighorse happier.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I carry paddles everywhere. Honestly....who wants to come to Sitka and deal with all this rain. I only live here because they pay me two million bucks a year. The hunting....it's too hard for the average man. Honestly.....the water it's always rough and the seas way too high. Think Deadliest Catch, way to rough. The mountains, well, there are bears behind every tree too. Cliffs, there are cliffs everywhere and the trees are downed all over making walking way too tough. Oh well, I better go load up my kayak and rifle. There's hunting and fishing to do.

You really don't want anymore neighbors down there do you?

Having spent time there under the expert tootlidge of academy staff, Sitka would be my pick too.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I carry paddles everywhere. Honestly....who wants to come to Sitka and deal with all this rain. I only live here because they pay me two million bucks a year.
    You bunch of light-weights, your average rainfall in inches is in the mid-90's, Ketchikan's average annual rainfall is over 160".

There are two very important words to keep in mind when moving to Sitka or Ketchikan: Cruise Ships

Some folks don't mind them. I can't stand them.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    There are two very important words to keep in mind when moving to Sitka or Ketchikan: Cruise Ships

Some folks don't mind them. I can't stand them.
    It's not so much the ships, it's the cargo.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast