Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvers in Whittier?

Default Silvers in Whittier?

Does anyone know if the silvers have started coming in at Whittier. Sure would be nice if they came in this year.

Nothing to be seen along the shore or the usual places like the harbor, Smitty's, or Salmon Run as of 08/20. Beautiful day, though....sunny and very calm. Caught some herring just to give myself something to do. Now I have more fresh bait for when they do show.

Already a sea lion prowling around near the harbor, though....not a good sign for the salmon or fisherman.

Man, everybody on the dock today was complaining, almost EVERYBODY - including the guides, got skunked or just pulled in only 1 or 2.

Personally, we hit upper and lower culross, pigot point and into the bay, cochran bay, shotgun cove and even salmon run. Only 1 irish lord and that was it.

At least the weather was fairly good - mostly flat.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Put in a long hard day trying to find silvers on friday. Hit all of the above places plus Lone and Perry area. Zip!!!!! Two weeks ago we cleaned up at Perry on silvers. Last week the commerial boats were all over that area targeting pinks I presume. This week nada! Friday was at least the best day we had on the sound. Sun and flat

We grinded for a good 7 hours today and not a single bit. Been killing them and couldn't buy a salmon today. Got a nice ling a couple butts though.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I thought someone last year said they're just not releasing many silvers into Passage Canal any more, or at least not nearly as many as in past years.

According to ADF&G's stocking information page, they don't stock Whittier with silvers, but they released about 100,000 chinook fingerlings into passage canal this summer. (They also released about the same number in Valdez.) Is this a new policy, or am I missing something? They show no Coho salmon releases for quite some time in the recent past at Whittier. I have no idea if any of the silvers released in the past manage to find somewhere to spawn in the creek near the harbor, but I'm getting the feeling that any silvers you find inside Passage Canal these days are stragglers who for some reason stayed out at sea more than a year before returning. (F&G's site says stocked silvers only stay out a year, not 3 or 4.)

I think Prince William Sound Aquaculture or one of the other commercial hatcheries does the stocking.

Saw two jumpers near Smitty's cove that looked like silvers. Too bright, and too big to be pinks. Floated around in my kayak around the ferry dock and alternated jigging up herring then slapping a live herring on a salmon rod in the area with nothing. Did get about 10 pounds of herring after I gave up on the salmon fishing.

Spoke with couple of large boats trolling around the seawall since I was wondering what they were doing trolling so close but I guess maybe the reports have something to do with that. One said they had caught silvers in the area. Spoke with a couple in a small inflatable who said they had couple several silvers near shotgun cove on Friday but nothing on Saturday. Everyone had the classic fishing line of "It was a LOT better yesterday!"

How close to the ferry dock did you jig? I still haven't tried to catch any in Wittier. I have to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    How close to the ferry dock did you jig? I still haven't tried to catch any in Wittier. I have to give it a shot.
    I was catching them from shore a few days ago. Just fish off the end of the road to the left of the ferry dock. There's almost always a group of folks down there fishing for them. Cast as far out as you can and let it sink...they hit it on the drop. Once you feel one hit, reel just enough to keep tension and others often follow and take the other jigs on the line with a typical Sabiki rig. You will probably also catch a lot of baby cod....there seems to be as many of them as herring.

Heh, figured out a backup plan today... when not catching anything else - go to a school of pinks and torture them for 4 or 5 hours. We must have caught and released 40+ pinks today.

Better than swearing at a empty hook anyway...
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Got one today by Applegate Island, and then one right in at Whittier by the old boat launch. Quite a few people fishing from shore there, but never say them hook up. We did not go out farther than south Colross due to by guests appitite for rough weather. Seems like things are slowing down for silvers the last couple of trips.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

We caught our limit Sat. just off of Esther Rock, our limit was 6 and it took about an hour. We were fishing for halibut and the Silvers were hitting on the drop, changed rods and just slayed them. Lost about 4 others on our way to our limit.

Thursday through Sunday - tried the usual spots on the way out of Whittier on our annual silver pilgrimage to Valdez.
    None at Pigot, none near Eaglek Bay, none at Glacier Island, none at Smith Island.

Up in Valdez Arm and Port Valdez we got into some nice silvers.
    On the way home, tried the usual spots again - none.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Headed out to Colross for shrimp and butt's but didnt do to well so headed to pinot point, and hooked into a few silvers and caught 5. Bad weather? man it was goregous out there... less than 2 ft sees..

Last weekend, trolled north end of Knight and nothing. Then trolled for a while just inside south entrance to Culross Passage and picked up one silver after catching a pink and a chum. Trolled for a while near Pigot Point (water was kind of rough elsewhere) and nada. Was ok though because Friday the sun was out, and over the weekend we went outside the Montague/Hitchenbrook entrance and picked up 3 halibut and 7 keeper lings fishing on flat water. Then of course typical Whittier weather returned Saturday night/Sunday. My next-to-last fishing trip this season so glad it was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    The best jigging was just outside of where all the shore folk were fishing's casting range. I also jigged up a few along side where the fishing boats tie up between Smitty's and the ferry dock. I didn't have my sonar with me but the herring were deep. I would say 60 ft down or more. It actually felt a little like fishing because you had to stay on top of where the sabiki rigs were. Too shallow=no fish. Too deep=cod and pollock. A couple of times I drifted fairly close to shore and the herring were tiny. Like the red label. Further out and deep, I got into the blue label size herring.

Nice!
    Thanks for info. I'll pick up a couple rigs before I come down this week. I'll try my sonar too, although the biggest silver I've landed this year was full of immature cod. Maybe 3' long, about the size of a cigarette.

Shore-fishing update:

Silvers are starting to show in small, scattered schools. If you're patient and wait for the fish to come to you, you'll probably get some. Not huge numbers yet, though. Smitty's had a good school move in right when I was leaving, pretty much at low tide. They were just slowly circling the cove, so you had to sit and watch them jump for a while before they got close enough to cast to, but I saw 7 or 8 caught in a pretty short period.

Nothing to see in the harbor.

Herring were strangely absent from the Ferry dock area today, too, for some reason.

Absolutely beautiful day in Whittier, though, and completely worth not catching anything!! It's not often you can come home from a day in Whittier with a sunburn.

I trolled the top of Culross to Hidden and got one bite. Saw just three jumpers the whole day. Beautiful day, big bath tub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast