Thread: Is it worth planning a "king trip" for next year?

Default Is it worth planning a "king trip" for next year?

I keep hearing how bad the king runs have been the last few years. Should I give it a try, or wait a few years?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

My wife & I did not have any luck this year (one hit, no hookup), but that was a change from past years. Can't be sure, but I know the weather was not the greatest on the days we were out- rain, wind, cold. We have already told the person making our 2011 plans to set us up for TWO days on the Kenai.
    So for now, I would say to NOT be in a hurry to write off the Kings. Hopefully I will not regret that decision.
    BUT HEY....... That why they call it "fishing" and not "catching". Atleast the fish could do their part and BITE!

If it were me coming from out of town I'd target other species and play the salmon runs by ear. Halibut, rockfish, trout and sightseeing are all a safe bet.

Perhaps a steelhead trip?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

No, it's too early.

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I keep hearing how bad the king runs have been the last few years. Should I give it a try, or wait a few years?
    I would not wait to long if you plan a trip for next year. If you "wait and see", and the fish are plentiful, you may not get a spot on any boat. I would plan a trip, see what the cancellation policy is, and if things aren't right you could always cancel. Also, make sure you are booking with an Alaska Resident, not some outsider making revenue on our resources. Spend it in Alaska, keep it in Alaska.

Make your bookings and plans now. Set your sights a little lower than what you see in the brochures and on the internet. Dinks are the norm, now. Be willing to sit out of creeks that are not meeting their minimum escapement goals, but hammer the creeks that are chocked full of the dinks. The more dinks removed from the gene pool, the better the future runs will be. It is still a good way to spend your money.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

All depends on who? what? where? when? And how hard you want to work for it. This was the first year in the last four I worked for kings and was successful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep an ear on fisheries actions in February. There may very well be localized closures and restrictions, particularly in Kodiak Rivers and Susitna Valley streams. That said, there should still be some bright spots. Deshka River, Klutina and Gulkana should do well, and Kasilof and Kenai should also be ok. After this year's disaster on the Nushagak, its hard to call that one and other Western Alaska streams. I definitely wouldn't write it off yet; Deshka River was as good as it gets for quite a bit of the season.

It was sorta a "Right place right time" situation for us. One day the fishing was a hook up about every 20min the other day was a hookup every few hours.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

It's always worth planning.
    Next years is always going to be better than this year.
    I tell folks now (for fishing) to come up the end of July to mid August. Best fishing time IMO
    Late run Kenai kings, 2nd run reds in Russian & Kenai rivers, silvers every where, chum & pinks in the Mat-Su valley.

If a man likes catching a big king salmon I would plan on fishing the Kenai River next year. Where else can you catch a 50 lb king and no body thinks much of it? I went king fishing on the Kenai River 3 times this year. We landed 5 kings with the biggest being 58 lbs. Fishing was ok but enjoyed every minute of it and when you do get that big one one its all worth it.

Klutinas got its brutes too, but hey i never said that
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Go to bed, you got school in the morning.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

You go to bed. Dont you got work?
    -Local 907 Riders Union

I am at work goober. Do your math homework, have some milk, and hit the hay

"real thugs live in Palmer"
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Next years is always going to be better than this year
    Really, cause EVERY guide I've ever fished with has told me, "You should have been here last week"
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

it is going to be interesting to say say the least for next year. With all the runs in trouble next year should tell how bad off they really are. I am keeping my fingers crossed. You just dont know untill you know. this year they thought the UCI sockeye run would be down and it was great! Several million above the predictions so only time will tell.

Racer: If you are interested in just catching a less than average--say 30# king--from the Kenai River, then by all means come next year. There should be a good return of 3-ocean fish. However, if you are after one of the fish the Kenai is renowned for, then wait at least one year, better yet two. There was no apparent strength to the 3&4-ocean age classes in this years return, thus next year there likely won't be much strength to the 4's and 5's, which are of course the larger fish. The "dinks" the guys are referring to are 2-ocean fish, and although some are complaining about the large numbers of these--it is indicative of a strong year class. Unless something strange is going on in the ocean causing premature return, this age class will carrry over to a decent, possibly even strong, return of 3&4 ocean fish. And if this does come about, and you are interested in a better chance for a true hog, then come up in 2013 when this years "dinks" become the trophies of the future. Now keep in mind that all of this is salmon forecasting and God, ADF&G, and most fishermen know--this is a **** hard thing to do!

All great advice; which is why we typically focus on mid-July to the first week of August. We primarily focus on the reds and that timing coincides with the 2nd run of kings. No fishing is guaranteed but I believe the reds to be the most feasible/predictable of the runs.
    I would say that I would not spend the money focusing just on kings; just too much of a crap shoot.

As pointed out; reds & salt species are awesome at the same time, be a waste to not diversify.
    One more thing; I would put little trust and base my actions on predictions & opinions regarding projected runs; can't tell you how many times we've ignored the "reports" and just went fishing and it paid off big time. Just go fishing!

Every time we make our Alaska plans, the "what if the run's off?" ideas run thru my mind, at which point we try to come up with other ideas/areas/plans so as to not waste time scrambling around.

I'm definitely always open to king fishing and would love to catch a big one but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket!
    Last edited by Big Jim; 08-21-2010 at 11:51. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    All depends on who? what? where? when? And how hard you want to work for it. This was the first year in the last four I worked for kings and was successful.
    Had this fish spawned?