Thread: rigging questions for the SHARC fisherman

Default rigging questions for the SHARC fisherman

Was hoping to bounce some ideas off those who have the subsitence halibut permits: how you rig your skates, baits, soak times and depths. PM me if you care to chat. thanks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

It's really not rocket science to toss out a 30 hook'r and catch hali. Just aim for the places you normally fish, and use fresh bait. Space em out good, and use the tide flow to put your scent trail in good areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    It's really not rocket science to toss out a 30 hook'r and catch hali. Just aim for the places you normally fish, and use fresh bait. Space em out good, and use the tide flow to put your scent trail in good areas.
    I'm not having any problem catching them, was just looking to share some thoughts. I've found the best places to catch them is places nobody fishes

Thanks for the note Brian M.

There's spot nearby that is about 135'. Mine has 16 hooks rigged on gangions on a 20 fathom groundline anchored on either end with cement-filled coffee cans. I had been using salted herring as bait, but discovered octopus stays on the hooks better.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    There's spot nearby that is about 135'. Mine has 16 hooks rigged on gangions on a 20 fathom groundline anchored on either end with cement-filled coffee cans. I had been using salted herring as bait, but discovered octopus stays on the hooks better.
    I like the coffee can system, will try that. My anchors now are common house bricks. I have two skates, each with 15 hooks. Both are about 80 fathoms of ground line with hooks spread 5-6 fathoms apart. I keep about 50 fathoms of bouy line. I normally fish a spot that goes from 25 fathoms to 40 fathoms. Caught some real nice fish in July around 15-20 fathoms though. I like herring but quality is an issue around anchorage. I always put a chunk of skin on each hook, then mixture of cod or squid or octopus when I can get it. Each skate usually has a couple sockeye or pink heads on one of the hooks. I'v been adding a chum bucket on each of them, its filled with those oil absorbent pads that have been soaking in herring oil. Really gets the scent trail out there.