Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heads up to Taylor Highway caribou hunters

Default Heads up to Taylor Highway caribou hunters

Just a heads up. The construction company that is doing the work on the Taylor has decided to close the Taylor Highway on the 27 and 28th for travel. This is bs and if you think it is, go to 511.alaska.gov and get the phone # and voice your displeasure. It will take some phone calls to get this changed, so if you don't care, it won't happen. So basically on the 27 and 28, no traffic will be allowed past Chicken until the scheduled convoy on the 29th.

Why is it B.S.? Is there any other way to get the work done? If not, there is not a whole lot of construction season left to do the work.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

No Biggie. Drop the wheelers and go around the construction zones. I have heard of the planned closure before. Take extra fuel and expect to work around whatever presents itself. There is not much one can do about what others have planned. Be prepared to adapt to whatever you might run into.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

at least they are fixing it, as i recall sever flooding took a lot of it out and was near impassable to begin with.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It's bs because the construction company working on it really isn't on the ball. They are garbage at best and the state should NOT let them close the road especially during hunting season, but hey, no big deal to me. There is not going to be a way to go around it. The state got this road back and rolling in a few days. Of course there is a way to get the work done. They are doing convoys each day, but for these days they are closing the road.

This is the main Taylor, not the branch to Eagle. This road is not near impassable, it was mainly flooded along Jack Wade Creek.

Dang man, a guys gets his arse ripped trying to give people a heads up. Sorry for the heads up. I'll keep the info to myself.

Thanks for the heads up Nway.

I'm not heading up this year, but I imagine if a guy can get up north of the Top of the World junction, the hunting pressure would lessen significantly due to the late season, road issues,etc. Might be the best year yet to make the trip up....with a little planning and forethought.

I think you're right, its bs to close the road at that time. I doubt anyone will be "driving around" the construction area--its not that easy.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog
    Might be the best year yet to make the trip up....with a little planning and forethought.
    I'm thinking it could be just the opposite. Seriously, it will be a major zoo right there in Chicken if that's as far as people can drive. Plus, if this wet weather keeps up who knows what new damage may happen, and it isn't at all beyond the realm of possibility that people can get stuck out on the road if it washes out again while they are out there. Not to mention all the trails off road are gonna be soggy wet and it screws the miners if too many people use them when they are in that condition.

Thanks for the heads up Northway...sure is a shame how this has affected Eagle residents this year and anyone else wanting to travel there.

The road to Eagle is really screwed! Major slides and BLM is really screwing them over and not letting them push a "natural" slide into the river to make it easy to clear. They are going to have to "back" dump trucks up for a LONG distance to load the slide material into the trucks and take to a gravel pit. I am going to doubt the Eagle road will be open for a LONG time. Don't be surprised if the Taylor washes out again with the rain we are getting right now. There will be NO way around the construction once they close it, so those thinking they will unload there wheelers and get around it are sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I'm thinking it could be just the opposite. Seriously, it will be a major zoo right there in Chicken if that's as far as people can drive. Plus, if this wet weather keeps up who knows what new damage may happen, and it isn't at all beyond the realm of possibility that people can get stuck out on the road if it washes out again while they are out there. Not to mention all the trails off road are gonna be soggy wet and it screws the miners if too many people use them when they are in that condition.

Thanks for the heads up Northway...sure is a shame how this has affected Eagle residents this year and anyone else wanting to travel there.
    I was just thinking that if you planned ahead and went up to say dennison fork prior to the road closing you may have less competition than normal...

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I think you're right, its bs to close the road at that time. I doubt anyone will be "driving around" the construction area--its not that easy.

Tim
    When would you rather they do the work? Before it washed out? After hunting season when it is frozen and they can't build the road?

Default It is ridiculous

that they close the road. They have plenty of time to get it done without "closures". Piss poor company. Lost Chicken Creek washed out today, so road closed again.

Nothway, what would you suggest they do? Do you want them off the road til hunting season is over? I'm sure they could do that, but how does that help you?

I think some on here are getting rut fever.lol.

My point is that they can get the job done without the road closures. Why would you close the road on a Friday and Saturday during the highest traffic days on the road? They could close it during the middle of the week or they could even work in the evening when very little traffic is passing through. Kind of like how "most" construction companies do. I guess if you don't live here and understand the situation you won't get it. Sorry, I'll let it go. Thought hunters might be a bit pissed about the closure, but I guess not. Maybe our grand plan of having a lot less people hunting up there is working out!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

did any one tell them it was one of the most popular hunt openers?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

First of all I've worked construction all my life, so I know what is intaled here.

What about the military closing down certian spots every year for thier games, (all the time during hunting season)

You have already got a good hunt in, and I can see where you want to help out fellow hunters but at the same time it sounds like you are pissed as to the fact you can't go up the road and shoot something else.

Not every year is going to be perfect. Mother Nature has the upper hand in this state.

Actually not pissed at all Rock Skipper. Just a little torqued that they would close the road for those two days since that is the caribou opener! And, yes, they know it is the opening of the season. I posted this info to inform people and so they could have a chance to call and voice their opinion. Kind of like the military closing that land and then reversing so it will be open. This closure makes no sense though. I haven't hunted this hunt for years since I don't want to be in the crazy situation and like sheep hunting better, plus I take advantage of our November opening for caribou. So this really doesn't affect me, but thought others would want to know. If no one complains, then the company will close it down! Just playing the messenger here.

Default Question??

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    First of all I've worked construction all my life, so I know what is intaled here.

What about the military closing down certian spots every year for thier games, (all the time during hunting season)

You have already got a good hunt in, and I can see where you want to help out fellow hunters but at the same time it sounds like you are pissed as to the fact you can't go up the road and shoot something else.

Am I only entitled to "one" good hunt?? I can promise you I have at least a few more up my sleeve!

Not every year is going to be perfect. Mother Nature has the upper hand in this state.
    Am I only entitled to "one" good hunt a year?? I can promise you I have a few more up my sleeve!

I dont know... I know that some people were really anticipating this hunt and it is weird timing, they could have chosen the 24th and 25th, but they didnt. Maybe after having hunt after hunt being interrupted or cancelled due to being in the military has drawn me to this conclusion, but sometimes %$*# happens that we cant control and its really not worth getting all rutted up over. Just my opinion, but thanks for the heads up Northway, I will be trying the hunt via the steese.

Northway, there's nothing like "local knowledge" and I appreciate you letting me know about the road situation. It is BS...people plan all year long for this hunt, burn vacation time to put meat in the freezer, and then ADF&G doesn't coordinate with DOT and we all end up in Chicken. What a mess. They need to be a little more creative in managing this project to allow for seasonal intense use.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast