Thread: Last minute fly rod on a budget??

Default Last minute fly rod on a budget??

I'm fishing/camping the Denali Hwy this weekend, and all I have is my clunky 9wt Lamiglass. I really don't want to be stuck horsing pretty little grayling on that ogre rod. BUT I've only got about 200 to spend, 300 if I really, really scrape next week (like, eat cup noodles all week - lol!). Which I am willing to do.

My roomie MIGHT maybe MAYBE have a 6wt reel I can use. If not I will have to get a rod, reel, and line. My boyfriend got a 5wt TFO last night and it's okay, pretty stiff all around though. I think I want something with a little more play.

Suggestions??
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Go to Mossy's Fly Shop on Diamond. Mike will hook you up. Seems I read he sells Echo. Great rod for the dough.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm going to go there on lunch. The boyfriend said he has an old 6wt that used to be his step grandfathers. No name on it, and I haven't had the chance to play with it.

I have to make a decision before we leave town at 5. Should I save myself some money and use the antique, or not risk me disliking it and spring for a new rod??

Girl, you must be joking.

GET A NEW ROD AND REEL
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...sJS=true#chart

8'6" 3 wt is a nice little rod for grayling fishing. It packs small and meets your price. Overnight shipping will have it for you. The 7'6" 4 wt is a nice little rod too.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have to leave today at 5, it's gotte be local.

I am gonna go to Mossys at lunch, and see what I can see. I will want something lighter for trout this Sep. anyway!

Thanks =)

Id go with the Echo, they are real nice.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

I did! =)

Mossys was great. I still feel so stupid when I go into fly shops though, since I'm such a n00b =S Can't wait to get out and try it tonight! I'll report on Monday =)

Im headin up tommorow right after school. Tangle lake and landmark gap lake here we come
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee