Thread: Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag Is A Real Shooter

Default Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag Is A Real Shooter

You all have all ready seen some of the groups with my Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag. Here are the four groups I shot today which illustrates the consistency of this rifle.

165gr HPBT - H1000 3114fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer

165gr HPBT - (1gr more) H1000 3119fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer

165gr HPBT - IMR4350 3218fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primer

Last target on next Post
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

180gr Ballistic Tip - IMR4350 3091fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primers
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Above the second picture I meant to say 1/10th grain not 1 grain.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Savage does not make the prettiest rifles but as you can see they are shooters!! For the money they are hard to beat. how much better groups would you get with a 2.000.00 rife? Not any better from what i have seen

Yes, you get a whole lot of good shooting rifle out of the box with a Savage and this one shoots more consistently using different bullets and powder than some of my customs do.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well, it was bugging me about the group using the 165gr HPBT in front of IMR4350 using CCI250 primers. I wanted to see if it was a consistent load and also checking the consistency of my barrel. I cleaned my barrel before I went to shoot this group because it had fired 45 rounds since my last cleaning. I wanted to see if it would shoot with a clean barrel as well as it shot with a fouled barrel. So this morning early before I had to go to work I stopped buy the range and shot this group.

Well my barrel is truly a shooter and my load is good and consistent. Here is a six shot group out of a clean barrel. The flyer is the first shot out of the totally cleaned barrel. I am pleased to say the least. It should even tighten up a little more after firing these six rounds.

165gr Sierra HPBT, IMR4350, Win Brass, CCI primers. With flyer the group is 1.276" and without the flyer the next five measure .662 and the average velocity over the six rounds was 3228fps.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Mike, that looks pretty good. I imagine that little 165gr Sierra would be smashing on whitetails in your area. I bet it does some massive damage at 300Win Mag Speeds. Looks like that Savage is well set up for hunting! You are making me a little antsy to get back and start shooting mine a little more! Scotty
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by beretzs View Post
    Mike, that looks pretty good. I imagine that little 165gr Sierra would be smashing on whitetails in your area. I bet it does some massive damage at 300Win Mag Speeds. Looks like that Savage is well set up for hunting! You are making me a little antsy to get back and start shooting mine a little more! Scotty
    The Sierra 165gr HPBT is a much tougher bullet than is the 165gr SPT made by Sierra and Sierra will tell you that. I have out of my 300Wby at 3300fps drove the 165gr HPBT through an 8" Laminated beam at 25yds leaving a 50 cent size hole on the off side where it exited and 75yds down range pull what was left of the bullet out of the dirt and it had not separated from it's jacket still had 42% of it's weight intact.

This same bullet killed my last black bear at 90yds on a heart an lung shot that went through the bear and exited out a golf ball size hole and took the heart and lungs with it. When we cleaned that bear the heart and lungs had been sucked out of the body cavity. That bear leaped in the air and then hit the ground dead and never moved. I have put this bullet through a 355 pound boar on the Pass River out of my 300Wby at 30yds and it exited out the other side and the boar clasped. This is one of the most under estimated bullets out there today.

Dropped 38 deer in a row, with the closest being 60yds and the furthest one being 236yds using my 30-06 and all fell where I shot them and every shot on every deer exited. I have taken one elk using a 300Win mag Mod 70 at just over 70yds with this bullet and it was found in a rib on the off side and still had 38% of it's weight left and was not separated from it's jacket, and that elk took two forward steps and fell nose first to the ground. This is not only a very accurate bullet but a very deadly one to say the least. When I use this 165gr HPBT the game I hit with it except the elk acted like they were hit by lightening, especially out of my 300Wby and 300Win mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Mike, thanks for the heads up on that bullet. I have heard good things about it, but I have never tried it. Might give it a whirl in the wife 308 if the 150gr Accubonds won't shoot. Sounds like it should be a great all around bullet out of a 308, being it will be going much slower than a 300 Win or Wby. Scotty
    Semper Fi

It would be perfect for a 308
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If I get the chance, I will get some and test them out when I do the load work for the wifes 308. Seems like something should make it a shooter. It is a Ruger Hawkeye, SS/Synthetic. It has a Leupold 2x7 on it and it shoots nice, but has a hard time breaking the 1" line. ery consistent in the 1.25 range though. Still working it out, but those 165's sound pretty good. Scotty
    Semper Fi

I have settled on a load after much testing now. I tried this load with different primers to make sure. 165gr Sierra HPBT, 74grs IMR4350, Win Brass, CCI250 primers, COAL, 3.340" moving 3218fps (average over five 5 shot groups), Extreme Spread 22 and Deviaton of 9.47. Average group size of five 5 shot groups including flyers is 1/2" without flyers 1/4".
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice shooting Mike. Sounds like an awesome load. Do you have any pictures of that bullet shot into water jugs or any other kind of bullet stopper? Scotty
    Semper Fi

No, just years of killing deer, hogs and black bear with this bullet. Did one time shoot it through an 8" laminated beam at 25yds out of my 300Wby and it exited the beam and 75yds down range dug out what was left and it was still intact.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Wow, that is a torture test all by itself. Says alot for that bullet. I may have to give it a whirl sooner than later. Scotty
    Semper Fi

Scotty, I believe I have not done my best shooting with this rifle. I am still getting use to it, plus, I know that my last three times to the range were not my best or what I really could do. When I settle back down with my shooting and get back into the groove, I will begin to eliminate these periodic fliers. Hopefully I will be going to South Louisiana this Friday and shoot at a range where I can shoot 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards. That should tell me if I have a good load and I hope my shooting becomes consistent and steady again. NO COFFEE FRIDAY MORNING, JUST A GOOD BREAKFAST WITH JUICE.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good luck when you get out to long range. Looking forward to seeing some of those targets! Never got my rifles out past 500, so I would like to give it a whirl sometime. Are you going to shoot with GB? Hope your loads run true and it makes some nice sub 6" groups out at 600. Scotty
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by beretzs View Post
    Good luck when you get out to long range. Looking forward to seeing some of those targets! Never got my rifles out past 500, so I would like to give it a whirl sometime. Are you going to shoot with GB? Hope your loads run true and it makes some nice sub 6" groups out at 600. Scotty
    Yes Scotty, I will be shooting with Jerry, he has his 300Win Mag really dialed in at 600. I just hope I can keep it in a 5" circle at 600
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yeah, he has really given me some ideas and pointers for the 257WBY. I hope to hear some good things about the shoot. 600 yards really starts to test the shooter. Scotty
    Semper Fi