Thread: Hunted on Alaska with the Russian carbine of SKS 7.62x39?

Question Hunted on Alaska with the Russian carbine of SKS 7.62x39?

Hi all.
    Interesting question of,- who that hunted on Alaska with the Russian carbine of SKS 7.62x39?
    It is talked that action of cartridge 7.62x39 and 30-30 analogical...

It wouldn't be my first choice as SKS aren't super accurate and I would limit my shots to 100 yards or less. I would use it in a survival situation perhaps but that is just me. Would be ok for a black tail or caribou I wouldn't use it on a moose or brown bear would probably be ok on a black bear as well.

I used to ride with a Norinco underfolder AK for a couple winters in the 80s, in my scabbard on my snowgo. Cool little rig and I used FMJ's on Caribou (We could shoot them on the move legally back then) Wolves, a couple Moose and a Black Bear, once.
    5 rd mag and folded , it was a small package, untill needed.
    Accurate at 100 yards easily, and no different than a 30-30.
    There were no commercial loads back then, just milsurp, and I used to get 1440 rds of Keng's Match(ya, right) 7.62X39 landed in Kotzebue 82$ a case. I thought the gun and cartrige were cool, and many regarded it as 'Evil'~~Lol!!~~I had all the accessories and 20 or so mags for each AK.
    Then Chinese milsurp dried up and I used commercial ammo a bit, but never took up the 7.62X39 again.
    I sold off The 7.62X39's and bought every one an AK in 5.56X45, accessories, mags and all.

I've had an SKS or two, but was never satisfyed with 'em, at least the Chinese ones, but I also know a couple guys who carry them everywhere.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

After my experience in training the Iraqis with their AK 47s(7.62x39), I would personally not use it for trying to accurately shoot animals at any considerable range.. The RPK that shoots 7.62x51 was a lot better at longer distances. Of course this is just my opinion and Im sure there are nicer weapons than what we got to shoot over there.

I have a mini 30 and shoot corbond 7.62x39 in it. they are advertised at 2400fps W/ a 150 gr hunting bullet, .308. It is comp. to the 30-30, about a 100fps slower. there are no choises on bullets like the 30-30 and are at max load. So if you are asking are they the same no they are not. As a side note the SKS and AK's are bored to 310-311 roughly and don't shoot .308 very well and they don't make much other than FMJ 110 or so. Soo my answer would be no .
    ps. the mini 30 will shoot surplus junk and to do so they enlongagted the chamber to give the bullet a bit of a jump into the barrel to lower the presure as they are bored to .308. I've never shot anything but a .308 in mine because of that. Also I could be completly wrong about everything I just wrote.

I know a long time commercial fisherman that used to use one for deer hunting in the southeast. They were strictly meat hunting and the bag limits were liberal. He liked the fast followup of the SKS and most of his shots were close. He just wanted to fill his tags while limiting the amount of fuel spent doing it so the option of getting a couple deer from a group suited him well. I wouldn't go that route however and would much prefer a 6.8SPC or 25wssm in an AR platform.

Hi .
    I read all of answers-thank you,-they are cognitive.
    I will say from the experience of hunt with the carbine of SKS;most successful distance it from 30 meters to 150 meters;wild boar from
    70kg. to 150kg.,wolf, fox, deer, elk-depending on distance;in Magadane - on Kolyme I shot brown bears 1.5 years -pestun- it seems to me, that weight was to max.200kg. distance 40m.-50m..
    SKS reliable carbine with good E-energiey to 100m..

Id like to see some Ahootnik Pictures.

Can you post pix?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have a Yugo SKS that will group 2" at 100yds with open sites... from the bench of course. Never hunted with it since no semi's can be used in PA... but I am sure it would do as good as a 30-30 on deer sized game and up. I have know several folks who have hunted and killed many elk with 30-30. I would not compare AK accuracy with an SKS... they are not the same action.

The SKS was designed for & used to kill humans...get a bolt action rifle, designed for, & used to kill animals...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    The SKS was designed for & used to kill humans...get a bolt action rifle, designed for, & used to kill animals...
    ?????

I guess you don't mean the Mauser style bolt actions!

SKS is a wee bit less accurate than a good bolt action, that's well ,know...sks was designed to spray bullets down range, faster than a bolt action...sacrificing accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Id like to see some Ahootnik Pictures.

Can you post pix?
    Below story of my acquaintance on a forum, I did a translation by the technical program
    http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/14/259-m20846.html
    Real shot - in foundation of breast, broke a front paw BEFORE a shoulder-blade, broke through lights, liver and dropped in place. Well and farther - after 2 cut 3 shots . A lens is an outage, 50 mm, distance of survey is 15 m. Weapon - banal SKS.
    Unprovoked attacks of bear in the period of gona.
    This case happened on the coast of sea of okhotsk, in a 80 km severo-vostochnee Magadana in beginning of June.
    I discovered ashore brown bear of middle sizes, which dug out pebble in search of hidden there rachkov-bokoplavov. Wind blew favourably and I decided to walk up to him closer and to do a few pictures with a beautiful general plan. For this purpose fastened on the Nikon a 801 300mm lens and moved to the beast. On a breast for me SKS hung with the opened breech-sight. In general, SKS from the successful location of front antabki very comfortable for the rapid throwing up from position 'on a breast'.
    On the face of it all was folded enough successfully. Wind blew sideways, the rustle of waves muffled my steps, a bear was dug on a background a picturesque cobble which gulls sat on. I walked up on 70 meters to the beast and decided to be not farther approached. Then did a few personnels and decided slightly to change foreshortening. At the same time I looked around incessantly, as do it permanent in the places of concentration of beasts. Not once and not two to me during such concealing other bear befitted in support, and twice only a rifle rescued me from truly serious troubles.
    While I looked around, I some lost control after an initial view point and sittings on a stone teas saw me and rose in air.
    A bear, even not looking in my side, slowly trudged after a bank, and then meters in three hundred turned to the hill and hid in stlanike.
    I waved a hand to the helper to Ruslan Kastoevu and he walked up to me. We are necessary it was to find the clear imprints of tracks of this beast, that it is possible it was to confront him with other tracks of bears in the same district. In an order sfotografirovat' tracks, I took off a long-focus lens and the standard fastened. A camera left to hang on a neck. We conversed long and loudly and silhouettes our was well drawn on a background grey water of sea of okhotsk.
    Suddenly at some instant (and with bears it often is so - suddenly) I with half an an eye saw that on the slope of hill a bear goes and very suspiciously approaches us. Considered here - wind changed a beast, catching our smell, led itself very offtype - in place of that. To go away a little rather, he began on a smell to go near us, especially as in spite of the dull sight, he could distinguish us on a background a surf. Nevertheless, I decided that we have all of possibilities to avoid troubles yet. I began to speak with Ruslan intentionally by loud voice, stepped back from him a little rather. For me an idea appeared on an instant, that a beast accepted us, standings together, for some large four-footed, therefore this action was called to underline that we and) people; and ) us two. From other side a that circumstance talked against this hypothesis, that he went expressly down wind, and wind must was in detail tell a bear about that, who appeared on this segment of bank.
    Therefore I expressly explained Ruslana our position and we moved a speed-up step on the edge of water there, from where send. Which our surprise was, when we saw that a bear had accelerated the rate of the motion and tries to call at the front. Barely 30 meters stayed till him, I began to the cry loudly, and Ruslan fired off for him above a head from a double-barrelled gun 12 caliber.
    A bear sat down, and then not hurrying, but advanced smartly, loudly growling. At this juncture I just lifted one-arm to the person camera and began to take off a left arm, and SKS opened out right toward a beast. After my back student Kastoev talked constantly - M.A., he already alongside, he quite alongside!
    I decided on your own - as soon as a bear will become paws on pebble, shoot at once. Did ask just in case - Light brown, you perezavryadilsya? Recharged, - Ruslan answers. - Here he goes out on pebble, I chop him, then you. Well and in that moment when I pronounced it, a beast had been stuck forward in the attacking manner. I dropped a chamber which hung on a neck, SKS opened out and fired off in the middle of body. A bear fallen down instantly, made an effort get up, I added two shots, whereupon he left off to move. Such here history.