Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upper Kenai Report from 8-18

Post Upper Kenai Report from 8-18

Floated it with Bowdy yesterday. First time he and I have fished together and it was a pleasure. Good fisherman, Loves to work the water, new to the river and just soaks up any and all info that you will share.

First off the weather. WOWOWOWOW. Shortsleeve shirts, just enough breeze to keep the bugs away.

Water. Yes it is still way HIGH but it is not ripping down the river like I thought it would. It is about mid july speed not mid june speed. Not real clear but you can see the bottom when in 3 feet of water or less.

Fishing. The reds are not stacked up in the upper yet to much above windy corner. Below that the mass red swarms are starting to form. We only had about 5 hours to fish so we worked the glory hole first. 1 nice dolly landed there and a couple of fishes lost. Moved down to whirlpool and 1 little dink in the upper end of the back channel there. Moved down to 100% and popped a little dolly and a bow. Stopped at last chance and lost 2 small fish and Bowdy lost a nice bow. Pushing the 20 range.

Either way it was a great day on the water. Nice to see the red swarms forming. Not really bedding up yet. Just the big masses in the water still. Bright red, no white on them. No carcasses in the water at all as im sure what ever there was in there got washed out.

chuck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

2 more pictures of the day. Quite a few guides working the lake at the bridge. I only saw 6 or 7 boats on the river fishing and a couple of banana boats. If the water drops fishing should be pretty good over the next month. I stayed on the main channel yesterday as i have been running all the back channels all year. Gonna work the sides and back channels this weekend. All in all it was just a great day to be on the water

If it were me, I would of been fishin the deep water where the other Red fish are. Fishin has been great!! helpful tip

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    2 more pictures of the day. Quite a few guides working the lake at the bridge. I only saw 6 or 7 boats on the river fishing and a couple of banana boats. If the water drops fishing should be pretty good over the next month. I stayed on the main channel yesterday as i have been running all the back channels all year. Gonna work the sides and back channels this weekend. All in all it was just a great day to be on the water
    HMMMMMMMMMMM, what's that I see on the ground behind BOWDY in the second picture

Another one comes over to the darkside!!!!

Sounds like another fun trip for the Goddess
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Exactly....if the water is deeper, make your leader longer...

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    HMMMMMMMMMMM, what's that I see on the ground behind BOWDY in the second picture

Another one comes over to the darkside!!!!
    is it oh no it couldn't OMG it is.....it is a center pin!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    is it oh no it couldn't OMG it is.....it is a center pin!
    Oh it was not mine believe me. He did not use it in the boat.

Oh and it will be the last time I let one in the boat. To much of a pain in the ass for me. He did not use it till the end of the day. 1st time on it and popped 2 fish.

I wanted to work more water yesterday but Ryan had to get back t town. Just a fun run. Only had about 5 1/2 hours on the water. With the weather I would have stayed 12 and worked every hole and bar all day long. Good run though and a nice day

If a centerpin is used correctly it should be a lot easier on the person rowing the boat. I know it was his first time and it takes getting used to. If the guy isn't rowing correctly and your indicator or float gets behind the boat its no problem for a pin you can just let it spool out. Also with the high water you can run longer leaders because of the longer rods. Another option is to run a slip float with the pin.
    Something else you all might be interested in is indicators that once you hook a fish they pop loose and slide down to your weights. I run these when I have newer fly fishers in my boat or real high water. You can run a 12-15ft leader and once the fish is hooked it pops the indicator and slides down. Worldwide angler carries them. I am not sure about mossy's.

I have been part of the darkside for a while now.

Oh it was not mine believe me. He did not use it in the boat.

Oh and it will be the last time I let one in the boat. To much of a pain in the ass for me. He did not use it till the end of the day. 1st time on it and popped 2 fish.

I wanted to work more water yesterday but Ryan had to get back t town. Just a fun run. Only had about 5 1/2 hours on the water. With the weather I would have stayed 12 and worked every hole and bar all day long. Good run though and a nice day
    Oh no I know it was Ryan's............he has been talking about that thing all summer, about time he finally got to use it. I am not to sure what to think about them, but I must admit it has perked my intrest though. On the other hand if you have a guy running the boat right you dont need a center pin.

By the way I hate you guys for posting those pics while I am at work! LOL

What great weather you had yesterday, Chuck. Glad to hear you enjoyed the day.

So, to show my newbie-ness...can someone kindly explain what a Center pin is?
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by fishak24 View Post
    Exactly....if the water is deeper, make your leader longer...

What if the water is shallower?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    On the other hand if you have a guy running the boat right you dont need a center pin.

Ever tried making a gravel bar move at the same speed with the current?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

slide your float down, be sure not to put your swivel to high up though otherwise you have to take your float off to move it down. Or are you being sarcastic.

remember.....im the "new guy" on this forum so i dont know when all of you regulars are kidding or not.

Dan was screwing with you there fishak. He is a dark side pinheader too. He does use his fly rod also. His wife can fish with the best of us. So lets say this, Dan, Phish, Me, Drifter, JohnSWA are all smart asses. Give it a few weeks on here and you will learn lots about us

. So lets say this, Dan, Phish, Me, Drifter, JohnSWA are all smart asses.
    Why did I get included in the smartass group? I'm a peace, love, and rock and roll guy.

I even have a tie dye shirt somewhere.

ha i would say that the rock and roll cancells out the peace and love. i gotcha though chuck. i'll keep that in mind.

I meant sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The posts get edited when sex and drugs are brought up so I substituted some Kumbaya stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Ever tried making a gravel bar move at the same speed with the current?
    yeah but I am lazy, it is easier from a boat..........LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast