Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifes first Moose!!

Default Wifes first Moose!!

Opening day we found ourselves glassing our hunting area only to play the 'hide and seek' game with a legal bull we only saw for a few minutes.

A buddy of mine had contact me prior to the hunt and we knew we were going to be hunting the same area and we had spotted them 1/2 mile away glassing the opposite hillside from us. As they were headed our direction to say 'hi', we were trying to get closer to seeing this bull we had spotted earlier.

Well, he was nowhere to be seen so we shot the breeze for a while until "BEAR!". Lumbering along was a very size-able grizzly bear. The wind was terrible, and he was on the move, so we just tried to head him off and see what we could see. We hot-footed it his direction only to peek over some brush to see him standing on his hind-legs peering to catch a glimpse of what he had already smelled. Back on four feet, he was gone, but we decided to go a bit furthur to see if we could catch a glimpse of him again.

Luckily our buddy, Kyle, stands a towering 6 feet and had a 'birds eye view' compared to our perspective. After we had spooked the bear and were going for another look, he happened to see the bull and his accompanying cow over the brush.

From 700 yards we put the sneak on him until we were within 180 yards.

From the kneeling position off shooting-sticks, my wife bagged her first bull moose and big-game animal. To say I was happy for her would've been a gross understatement. I was on top of the world and, man, what an experience to share together. Well done, Babe!! I am very proud her. She kept up the chase on the grizzly, wouldn't let me carry her rifle, went from 'bear hunting' back to 'moose hunting' in the blink of an eye, and made an outstanding shot on her first animal.

I'm looking forward to many more trips like this and hopefully she caught a little of the 'bug' as well

Fresh burger and roasts in the freezer....

Awesome job, getting my wife to hunt was the best thing that I could have done. Great story and pics.

Steve

Right on Im taking the lady on her first trip friday!Sounds like a fine time had by all. Right on right on.

Great 1st moose!! Glad she enjoyed it... Now I need to show my wife it can be done!! Lol

"Fresh burger and roasts in the freezer...."

**** Subsistance Hunters.......

Making me crave meat at this hour..........

Most Excellent, hope its the first of many.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I wonder,how many alaskans first moose was a spike or a forkie?I know mine was and all four of us boys and even old pops was either a spike or a fork.Good job on geting your wife out and filling the freezer with some good eating!Now I bet you can never go moose hunting with out her, your wife will make the perfect hunting partner that you'll ever find!My first date with mine was a goat hunt,since then I knew she was the one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

way to go Kyle, glad you finally got some time out together.. awesome way to get it done...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well done sir! Kudos to the wife. What was her cartridge and bullet?
    Thanks

Congrats to you both!
    My son is 26 and single - sooo if your wife has a single sister I could use a hunting Daughter in law!
    Well done young lady!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

She does look like she might be happy. Congrat to the both of you.

Congrats to you and your wife!!! Great write up...It looks like the freezer is full and the pressure is off, Now you can hunt for fun.

One question, where is the Model Seven? I guess she doesnt like it and your ready to pass it on to me???

Nice job - well done to the both of you.

Great job to you and your wife! The smile says it all!

Yeah, She looks pretty happy and proud herself, Rightfully So Girl, Well Done

What a nice animal to harvest for you guys to enjoy cooking and remember for Sooo Long
    Lot of meat there, and I bet that boy is gonna be one Fine Tasting Harvest

Oh also, Nice write up Hunt, great pictures great story, thanks for posting
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Well done!! Congrats to you and your wife, great to see a pic or two of a person's first successful moose hunt..Tell her to keep it going...

Tikka .308 win shooting Federal Premium 180 grain Trophy Bonded.

I knew I was going to get caught w/o the model seven! I got it set up on short notice but the rings were too high and because she had already practiced with the Tikka, we decided to not change things up last minute.

What I want to know is why you waited so long to share the story on here? This thing was down on the 15th, and here you are four days later leisurely posting of your wife's great success. You've been derelict in your duties as a valued member here, particularly for those of us languishing at work and living vicariously through hunt reports and photos. Come on man, get it together!

Congrats to your wife. Sara was really excited to read the story and see the pictures and passes along her congratulations as well.

I know, I know...

15th--moose down

16th--hunted a second day

17th--had to make it home and unpack and process meat and get it in the freezer

18th--still cleaning but gotcha covered!

I would've posted earlier, but I can't figure out how to post pics with tapatalk...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I know, I know...

15th--moose down

16th--hunted a second day

17th--had to make it home and unpack and process meat and get it in the freezer

18th--still cleaning but gotcha covered!

I would've posted earlier, but I can't figure out how to post pics with tapatalk...
    LOL well at least you actually got your but out of the house this year.

PS seen your little ones while i was down last month... that baby with those new teeth and smile is ADORABLE... gave me a huge grin to show them off...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That is some fine eating there, Kyle. Loved the pics, thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats to the Mrs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast