Thread: Smoking

Default Smoking

This may be a stupid question (my wife says that is my favorite kind!), but I was wondering if you can smoke meat & fish using the actual fruit? I am talking about apples, cherries, peaches, etc. I tried finding info on the net, but no luck. Called local Agriculture Dept- no reply in a week.
    If anyone has experience in or knows of an article / website I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean that instead of throwing the salmon in the smoker and burning cherry wood chips, you would actually burn cherries? That's a new one -- definitely thinking outside the box. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

In a manner of speaking YES I would burn the fruit. My wife would say I am NO WAY close to the box muchless in it.

REASON: I have access to overripe (VERY!!!) fruit that I could either burn wet or put in my dehydrator, then burn.

How in the world would you burn wet fruit? That's a good one.

I know - sounds MESSY!!!
    I guess .............................. Just let'er sizzle until she burns. Steam MUST have some flavor molecules in it that would penetrate the food, then the burn will release smoke.

You can do this. However first you want to dehydrate or not do it at all. Sometimes there is enough moisture in the old fruit to send to much condensation or steam into the smoker from the generator. This can do many things to your product. Smoking is also drying and adding wet fruit to the fire is counter productive, it will soften the pellicle(sp) and make your end result mushy or mealy. If you're using this as a way to get rid of some fruit great other wise I would not waste fruit on such a manner. It takes a huge amount to make any noticeable difference in the end, remember that smoking is more for the nose than the taste buds, you can taste the smokiness long before you that chunk of whatever crosses your lips.

Owl

I would add fruit juice to the brine before I tried to burn the fruit in the smoker.

Sounds messy and you would probably get a lot of burnt sugar taste on the final product. Would probably gum up your equipment as well.

Smoke with apple or cherry wood, and add some juice to the brine for added flavor.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....