Thread: reasonable expectations on the Koyukuk

Default reasonable expectations on the Koyukuk

As I have a late season Koyukuk tag and plan to hunt the entire season I'm wondering what to set as a goal as far as moose trophy size. I'm treating this hunt as a once in a lifetime hunt. Yes, I know it's about the entire experience, but would like some guidance from people who have more experience in this area as to what I can expect as far as moose sizes and numbers. I know that there a lot of people who have hunted the area and would like your input.

While I haven't made the trip in a few years, I'd venture the number of animals has risen. Prior to '04 there was no draw, and I know fr a fact the guides were heavily targeting large bulls. That being said, we left with a 57, 55, 64 a 53 and a smaller bull. At mo time did we pass up anything wanting a bigger bull. It was cold as hell, ice every morning. Our 10 day hunt ended at a good time since the slough was dropping fast.

There's really no way to head up there with something in mind, moose hunting is a crap shoot. The trip alone is fantastic, taking home an animal is the icing. Be ready for a wolf at a moments notice, not uncommon to happen upon a loner making his way in/out of the river. Our groupnhant seen any til we were past Ellas cabin.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

which tag did you draw? I drew the dm830 tag and had heard nothing but good info on the area, I have a friend that hunts the area with family under the registration hunt and they have taken nice bulls year after year, to bad the have to cut the horns/ per the regs. they apply for the permit but have not drawn. There are lots of moose in the area, according to the biologist, cant remember the cow to bull ratio or moose per sq. mile he qouted me but it was good. there are a lot of trophy moose there thats for sure just do some research on the cabela hunts, anyone that ive talked to that has been there says the same lots of moose.my tag is in the controlled use area, no fly zone, guessing yours is to? I would like to know who you used for transport, because that was my problem. my friends take a boat down from the yukon at the bridge making the day journey down river and useing up all that gas, I dont have a boat so I was S.O.L., guess i should have planned better and looked into the cost. I just wanted a good moose and a adventure, but what I got was tag soup? I could not find a transporter with a reasonable price I think the $20,000 from galena was a JOKE!! and the prices from others were not far from that. I won't and can't post the names, and thats almost as much as I make in a year, I found other means to hunt this season with a friend on a fly out for a heck of a lot less. im probably passing on a great hunt, and a true trophy, but unless you got room for another paying hunter on your trip, you will have one less guy to contend with out there good luck! please pm me to let me know what your situation is.

There's only one boat based transporter that I know of in Galena, and I'd be greatly surprised to hear $20,000. Not sure who ya meant or what that included, and I don't doubt you btw.

DM829/830 is a tag I could not fathom eating. A decent used Zodiac and motor would cost a fraction of that to buy and fly into Galena with Everts. Take it to the beach, blow it up, and set sail.

Right after the draw in April, I thought of starting a thread where guys running from the bridge could all unite and hook up to share costs, or with an open seats, but I figguered there would be to many who "planned"making the trek, only to back out at the last minute.
    Last edited by 379 Peterbilt; 08-19-2010 at 02:26. Reason: Add info

We had moose tags down there last year, talked to the transporter, was $3000.00 to rent a boat and motor from him!...that was for three people!

I'm with 379 Peterbilt, I'd have a tuff tme eating that tag!....it's a great time and hunt..imo

I ended up buying a Phantom Sport Jon and talking it last year!, My wife also threw that tag for this year so we will be back down there again in the sport jon, and I can't wait!

I have hunted that area numerous times and fortunately the biggest moose I shot was prior to the horn cutting regulation. I have hunted with buddies that had a tag a few times as well. I don't remember ever passing on a legal bull. If you take a look at my photos on this forum there is a few moose pictures - Most of which are from that area and were the first moose spotted each trip. Gives you an Idea of what to expect. I drew my first tag for that area this year and I am torn - obviously I would like to see a big one but will have a real hard time passing one up to keep looking - not sure I can pass one up.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp?albumid=468