Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to hunt wolves?

Question What's the best way to hunt wolves?

I'm 16 and just got a license and have always wanted a wolf. I have a .22/250, 12 gauge, and a rabbit call. But i want to know what time of year and how to find them.

The most effective way seems to be with a shotgun while flying slowly over them with a super cub.

A decent read is "Hunting the Hunters" wich is all about predator hunting in AK. My suggestion is to get out and start hiking in the fall and winter making stands and calling in anything that is willing to respond to you, you never know just what it might be! Wolves in general cover too much ground to really target specifically without being able to do the same.

I have that book and it gives lots of info but I think the winter would be better but i don't have a lot of time because I competitively cross country ski year round.

A snowgo is also a crucially important tool to use when huntin' wolves, you could break a trail where you find wolf sign & then follow that trail the next day & VIOLA! You could find yerself some wolves...

Hey Z, welcome to the Forums, this is a good place to ask around, you might try doing a search on here, to see how wolves are being killed.

Seems not very many target them but there are several stories of guys killing them incidentally on other hunts. Study those situations and you might get some ideas.

Your search (using "Wolf")should find a thread on Wolf Howlers that was up lately, a guy named Rich Cronk down south makes these really nice Wolf Howl calls and his website makes him out to be pretty knowledgeable about hunting them. Might give him a call as he seems pretty cool.

I am also hoping to get some Targeted Wolf hunting in soon, down here around Unimak Island which is serious Wolf country but having no experience I am asking around and searching for info. going to order one of those Howlers $75 seems worth it, some can do it by mouth tho. I have several Fawn/Rabbit distress calls also which I'll try. Mainly thinking sit a stand with long range visibility and do a small bit of calling. Glass like crazy, etc.

Good thread, thanks for posting, I'll be watching also to learn from these guys. Good Hunting to You
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

thanks I'll do some looking. I'm also going moose hunting in unit 13 in september. does anyone think there is a chance for wolves out there?

+1 with what Kodiak says...howlin' is the best way to find them...they'll answer if they're near...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    A snowgo is also a crucially important tool to use when huntin' wolves, you could break a trail where you find wolf sign & then follow that trail the next day & VIOLA! You could find yerself some wolves...
    +1 with what Kodiak says...howlin' is the best way to find them...they'll answer if they're near...
    how interesting, now if i wander over the the predator control thread.... it is an entirely different GOGO man...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I believe the BEST (not necessarily the most effective/guaranteed)) way is by snowmachine over a few days. Go out in a wolf-ie area and stay at a lodge, cabin whatever. If it snows, immediately get out on the snowmachine until you get a fresh set of tracks and run them down. I've only gone twice this fashion without success but I know a few guys who swear by it. I think its the BEST way because worst case, you spend a bunch of time snowmachining. If you do run into the pack, one or two hides should pay for the whole trip.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I called one in with a rabbit call while moose hunting. I have also heard that if you are in good wolf area, a coyote call will bring them in to run the coyote out of their area. They don't like sharing the pantry.
    PC gag in place.

On a sno-go.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by zbrown View Post
    thanks I'll do some looking. I'm also going moose hunting in unit 13 in september. does anyone think there is a chance for wolves out there?
    Yes, absolutely. There are a number of wolves in unit 13, so keep you eyes open and you just might get lucky.

I was in unit 13 last year spotting moose when a black wolf ran out of the brush and chased two moose for awhile. i couldn't get a good shot at him since he turned off once he closed in to 260 yards from me. 15 minutes later my son hears something running in the water and here comes a caribou with the same wolf chasing it. Once he got about 200 yrds from me he broke chase again. I never could get a shot on him. i wish I had since about an hour later a caribou had walked into a bowl and soon after could hear howling coming from their.

I am prepared this year with a predator call and my AR-15 with a EOtech. I can hit a moving target out to about 250 yrds no problem and if I miss I have 29 more chances!

Glad to see I am not the only one packing one of the plastic guns in hopes of getting on some predators. I figure that I can be my own back up gun w/ the capacity of the AR. Extremely accurate, almost 0 recoil. I never lose sight of the target and see the impact to make on the fly corrections. The added benefit of a possible "double" in the right conditions is a good thing to! I currently carry a 16" bull barrel but think that I will switch to a regular carbine flat top in the future to save some weight.

LuJon,
    I was using a RRA with 18" bull barrel on it, but got tired of toting the unnecessary weight. I switched to a 16" lighweight carbine style model and couldn't be happier. While riding on the snowmachine all day, those bull barrels take their tole on the shoulders.

Over the next 5 years or so I plan on building 5 just like that but w/ "multi" lowers, one for each member of the fam. I think I will put my DPMS upper on the market when I get back stateside. It shoots well, just too heavy for what I want to do.

I carry a M-4 to keep length and weight to a minimum. I keep this weapon close to me on the ranger and in the boat just in case a predator oppertunity arrises. This rifle with an EOTech is very accurate for moving targets. Awsome sight picture and fast acqusition. I kick myself in the butt for not having it with me last year for that wolf.

Plus, if you carry an assult rife and a ammo can full of mag's in the woods, every one thinks your a loony and gives you plenty of space!!!

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I believe the BEST (not necessarily the most effective/guaranteed)) way is by snowmachine over a few days. Go out in a wolf-ie area and stay at a lodge, cabin whatever. If it snows, immediately get out on the snowmachine until you get a fresh set of tracks and run them down. I've only gone twice this fashion without success but I know a few guys who swear by it. I think its the BEST way because worst case, you spend a bunch of time snowmachining. If you do run into the pack, one or two hides should pay for the whole trip.
    X2. No other real way w/o luck.

A picture is worth a thousand words. And the person I was with on this gets QUITE a few each year:
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

****! Them wolves just DWARFIN' the cabin in the back ground! (wink wink) THEY'RE HUGE!

****! Them wolves just DWARFIN' the cabin in the back ground! (wink wink) THEY'RE HUGE!
    Definately a "close" sleep at night...but at least we are warm.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast