Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? on Fly Reels

Default ? on Fly Reels

I have a good friend. His first name starts with a C and rhymes with "yuck"! He bought an awesome 7wt Sage for me (that I'm paying him back for, by the way), but I have to pair it with a reel that's worthy for such a fine rod.

He is partial to Solitude. His rig with the Solitude is sublime! I really loved the drag and the balance of the rod with the reel. My only dillema is even though the Solitude is a great reel, there are so many great reels in that price range or even lower with the same lifetime warranty!

I'm seriously considering the Lamson "Guru". I really like the conical drag system of the Lamson series of reels. I've read nothing but great reviews on the Lamsons and the Guru is more than $75 less than the Solitude. Again, I'm not knocking the Solitude as it is a very fine reel. I just like the design and theory of the conical drag system of the Lamson.

So, whatcha think? I'd really like some recommendations from the great folks on this site before I pull the trigger on the Lamson.

Thanks for your input!

I have both.

I like the Lamson for lightness, the Solitude to balance a longer / heavier rod.

I like the Solitude for the micro-adjustable, silky-smooth drag...same with the Lamson, although not as micro adjustable.

I like the Solitude for its Bomb-proof construction...Lamson, not so much. The Lamson can take a hit, but is overall slightly more fragile - but only in the way that an old Chevy Suburban is fragile, when compared to an Armored Personnel Carrier.

The Lamson has a wider spool, and the 3.5 has WAAAAAY more capacity than the Solitude LA5.

Customer service? Dunno...never had a problem with either reel. I have buddies that have sent in their Lamsons on warranty issues, and they couldn't be happier with the customer service. By the same token, calling Solitude and getting Jon (production manager) on the telephone and having him take down your order means that there isn't enough wiggle-room in the company for bad customer service.

Follow your heart. Whichever one you end up with, you will probably be happiest with.

Better yet, admit that you are a junkie, and buy both.

It don't matter what you get John.
    Ya still can't catch fish!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    It don't matter what you get John.
    Ya still can't catch fish!!!!!
    Umm... we're talking fly fishing, not center pinning, ya wannabe wish ya could and never will be fly fisherman!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    I have a good friend. His first name starts with a C and rhymes with "yuck"! He bought an awesome 7wt Sage for me (that I'm paying him back for, by the way), but I have to pair it with a reel that's worthy for such a fine rod.

He is partial to Solitude. His rig with the Solitude is sublime! I really loved the drag and the balance of the rod with the reel. My only dillema is even though the Solitude is a great reel, there are so many great reels in that price range or even lower with the same lifetime warranty!

I'm seriously considering the Lamson "Guru". I really like the conical drag system of the Lamson series of reels. I've read nothing but great reviews on the Lamsons and the Guru is more than $75 less than the Solitude. Again, I'm not knocking the Solitude as it is a very fine reel. I just like the design and theory of the conical drag system of the Lamson.

So, whatcha think? I'd really like some recommendations from the great folks on this site before I pull the trigger on the Lamson.

Thanks for your input!
    oh, lets see.... JOHN, i am getting a new fly rod what should i put on it? here vince... this is PERFECT... 37.95 model at cabelias... TRUST me you'll never go wrong. ... i just bought 3 of them for EVERY ROD I OWN...

all a sudden thats not good enough eh?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ask a guy what's best and he'll tell you what he's got. The best without regards to cost? Van Staal. The best value? Ross CLA. I have both along with several others. Those two get my nod time after time.

I don't know anything about Solitude except C + huck loves his

I do own 5 Lamson reels and consider them to be excellent. I have Lamson velocitys on my 7 wt outfit. Awesome reels. I was looking at the guru for Carrie last month until I found 3 older lightspeeds with 2 spare spools unused and got a good deal on them. This is for a 9 wt outfit I put together for her with two Scott A3 rods. Will use for saltwater in NC and salmon in Alaska. The older lightspeed had some issue with seizing if not cleaned properly after use in salt, so I contacted Lamson and inquired about the retro-fit I had read about. They changed out the cassette/bearings in the reels I bought for free with the ones that are in the newest lightspeed reels. Charged me $10 for return shipping and had 2 day turn around. I couldn't be happier. I would buy Lamson again without thinking twice about it.

If you do go with Lamson gurus, check out Yagers Fly Shop. Ronn Johnson owns it and is a good guy. Ordered several of my Scotts from him. Also got mine and Carrie's Simms waders ordered through him after he sent me a 20 percent off email. He did that after I sent him some pics from the Upper Kenai last year, one image he put on his website and made me customer of the month. Ha ha.. Anyway, he will give you free backing and fly line on the reel if you buy from him. Also, you can choose from many premium lines at checkout and he will put that on for you as well. The Rio nymph line is one such option that would be good for fishing beads I suspect. Link below...

http://www.yagersflies.com/wagurenewfor.html

http://www.yagersflies.com/cuofmo5.html

As you say, lots of good quality reels out there. Take your time and pick out what you like. You got 30 days man

Oh, reminds me, PM me your dates again. See you soon.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dam, talk about "Speak of the devil".

I just went to check my email after posting this and had an email from Yagers. Looks like 15 percent off on orders in the next few days. Sweet.

Save percent from August 19th thru August 22nd
    Point, Click, Fish

Beat the heat and hit the water with some great deals on flies and gear. Save 15 percent on merchandise when you enter Coupon Code SUMMER10 on your order.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

No matter what John buys he always breaks it. Rods and reels. Somehow, someway he will end up using my gear. In the end he will end up using one of my solitudes. Trust me

When I started off on this addiction I started off on the low end of reels working my way up. I have never used a Lamason. When Solitude sent me some reels to try for them I just fell in love with them. I am not knocking other reels as I have not used them. I just got hooked on the solitudes from day one. Tough as a truck, as smolt said, silky smooth drag, they look nice. From day one I have liked and enjoyed fishing them. The balance of them on my Sages's is amazing. I told John last night. I go with what I know and the Solitudes have been working for me for a while now and I have never had an issue. I just go with what I know and what has proven it works for me.

I think when you get in the 250 dollar and up reels they all "should" be of some pretty good quality. I have used my solitude 2 all last year on reds and this year too plus I use it for bows. I have a 3 and it is a back up. My wife has a 2 and a 3 also. I am so picky about drags and that is the biggest selling point to me on the solitudes. I guess we will see what Joan buys this fall. Oh and if has an "issue" with it and it is not a solitude I will be taking video of him whining like a girl Love ya bro see ya in a month
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    No matter what John buys he always breaks it. Rods and reels.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    This coming from the guy who doesn't know how to spell (it's Sahtu) and would rather spoon with him than fish!!!!

John,

The more I think about it, the more I think you should be shopping for TWO reels.

I buy in everything in pairs for the same reason.

If I spoon with a mutt on gravel bar, it won't be because my rod/reel is out of commision

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    John,

If I spoon with a mutt on gravel bar, it won't be because my rod/reel is out of commision

-Dan
    **** you man. Baileys and coffee all over the laptop this morning That there was a good "zing"
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Dam, talk about "Speak of the devil".

I just went to check my email after posting this and had an email from Yagers. Looks like 15 percent off on orders in the next few days. Sweet.

Save percent from August 19th thru August 22nd
    Point, Click, Fish

Beat the heat and hit the water with some great deals on flies and gear. Save 15 percent on merchandise when you enter Coupon Code SUMMER10 on your order.
    Coupon code not working.

John,

The more I think about it, the more I think you should be shopping for TWO reels.

I buy in everything in pairs for the same reason.

-Dan

Even without the coupon code, I couldn't pass up the deal with the free line and free shipping! Thanks Dan!

+1 for the Ross CLA.

I hope you are as happy with your Lamson as I am with mine. I have 5 Lamsons, with two more coming for September. I couldn't be happier. The price is nice and the drag has not let me down.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I hope you are as happy with your Lamson as I am with mine. I have 5 Lamsons, with two more coming for September. I couldn't be happier. The price is nice and the drag has not let me down.
    I was looking into getting a guru.........but I want a 6-7 wt and they don't have one so I am lookin at the 7-8.
    My other choice was a ross cla they have a 6-7 wt. ANy thoughts?

I really don't care about drag much because I will be usuing this from a boat and I pretty much just turn the drag way down, I am just looking for a decent reel that wont brake the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I really don't care about drag much...
    Not caring about drag on a reel is like not caring about the hook on a fly IMHO.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

You want a 6/7??

Do tell why.

I am type A more than most so I understand wanting shet to match but you got me curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Not caring about drag on a reel is like not caring about the hook on a fly IMHO.
    ah very true when your standing on the bank but from a boat, you don't need to crank it down, besides I would rather have a fish run on me and whip my butt then worry about having the to worry about the drag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast