Thread: sink tip line on kodiak road system?

Default sink tip line on kodiak road system?

Anyone out there know if a sink tip or full sinking line would be helpful on the kodiak road system for the silvers?

Thanks!

I did not find it necessary fishing last year, most holes are only a few feet. Maybe for the reds but not for the silvers.

Leave it home unless you're headed offshore.

We use Rio Outbound Version 8's offshore for casting to salmon busting bait balls and for halibut. But in freshwater or casting in saltwater from shore even slow sink is a bad deal.

Thanks Colonel, Brownbear...that's 45 bucks or so that I won't have to spend!!!!

hap

Most is simple chuck and duck, so use your worst line and forget about what the wrapper says... The silvers are big, creeks small, and obstacles many; Exactly the right place to ruin a good line. Often as not you will not even be using "standard casting techniques."

Better yet is having a second rod rigged and ready to cast poppers and such in the early morning, and after the fish have been thoroughly put down in a hole.

If your roll casting is weak I would suggest practicing that with an actual heavy fly and split shot set-up. Silvers hide under overhangs a bunch and being able to deliver the fly to them under wierd and funky conditions will give you a serious leg up.
    art

Thanks Hap! That answers my other question on a spey rod, too!! Having never seen the waters, I wasn't quite sure if the sinking line was needed. Come to think of it, I've only ever been in need of a sinking line once in AK, that I can recall. Normally, I (try to) employ your tactics described above, sometimes with an indicator/corkie, sometimes without.

Great idea on the poppers!