Thread: Delta Clearwater without a boat??

Default Delta Clearwater without a boat??

I really, reeeeally wanna go North this weekend but I want to make it worth my time. I want Grayling, mostly. Been looking into the Delta Clearwater, but our buddy with a boat is out of town. Is it even worth fishing from the shore? We have a raft...but only one vehicle.

If Delta isn't worth it, where is? We've had some luck in the Gulkana, but I was hoping to try somewhere new.

Thanks!
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

If you want to drive the denali highway. Fish tangle lakes, Tangle river, Tangle day use, Rock creek, Brushkana river,and mclaren tribs should be good. Hit any of those with nymphs or drys and your in some serious fish. Tangle lakes is good the second stream down flowing into the lake.

For rock creek just scout the pools. Brushkana just hit back eddys and pools. Hope all goes well on that trip
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

We fished Tangle Lakes last time and I was not impressed. However, we just fished by the lodge and were short on time, this weekend we've got a couple days to camp/fish our way around.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do some research =)

If you hike down to the second stream down from the campground it is a really good place to fish as it goes into the lake. Any stream on the denali highway has a ton of fish. And maybe you can hike or raft to landmark gap lake. Fish the streams connecting the lakes and its crazy, Even ask alaskachuck were heading that way after school on friday.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

re the delta clearwater, it's a rather tough river to wade, but it's well worth the effort. tons of big grayling. far as i know, the clearwater lodge on remington rd is fine with fisherman accessing the river from their property. (maybe ask first and/or buy a beer or two from the lodge when you're done, to repay their generosity.)
    you can start by wading upstream along the outside of the bend along the lodge's property. then, you can cross (if you want) at the tailout riffle above that bend, and work your way up. make sure you bring some polarized glasses and watch out for jet boat wakes

We decided to do the Denali Highway. I'm in love with the Tundra so I got sold on that idea fast. Plus, I'm into photography and there can be some unique birds up that way =)

I took off tomorrow to have more time to fish!

Now the big problem....I've got a 9wt fly rod and that's IT. I've got some extra cash, but only 200 bucks.