Thread: Hunting/camping on the Haul Rd. w/ kids.

Default Hunting/camping on the Haul Rd. w/ kids.

Have any of you brought your wife and kids up to the Haul Road for a bow hunting/camping trip? My husband and I are heading north this Saturday with our three little girls. I don't have a bow yet, so my husband will be hunting while we stay back at camp. We plan to be up there about a week or so depending on how things go. We have a Ford F250 with a truck camper that we be driving up. I've been researching like crazy and reading many of the old threads here to help prepare us both mentally and phsyically. We've camped a ton, but usually not in campgrounds as we enjoy being away from the crowds. I know it's going to be an adventure, but we're really looking forward to it. Although I have to admit, I get a tiny bit jittery thinking about it. So if any of you have done this hunt as a family, I'd love to hear any advice you may have. The information and advice on this forum has been incredibly helpful - thank you all for taking the time to swap stories and give advice.

I have not taken my kids up there, but I can throw a few idead out there.
    Take alot of things to keep them ocupied, games, art stuff, and snacks.
    prepare for 80's temps and 30's and rain, the last thing you want is to be stuck for 3 days in a camper cuz they don't have warm enough clothes.
    Buy them each on of the kids digatal cameras, and let them go crazy, they will have some great photos.
    Keep an eye on them, don't let them wander to far,
    One thing you must do is scent control, no food garbage, candy wrapers scatered about. Keep coolers inside your rig, or Teddy might visit.
    The Slope is a wild and beautiful place, it has it's challanges, and with the right mindset it will be an unforgettable experience.

Scott
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

We have gone up as a family before. It is a great time. I second what Scott in AK said about bringing lots of things for the kids to do and being prepared for any type of weather. Bring your own fire wood if you want to have a fire. If you are near the river the kids can fish for grayling and have a great time. There will also be char in the river. Keep the kids close to you. The river can be dangerous and there are bears around. We also had the kids doing outdoor activities like scavenger hunts to keep them busy. If your kids have the right attitude and you are prepared you will have a great time. Enjoy and stay safe!
    Jim

We take our 3 kids up their every year.. Have been doing so since my oldest was 6 and youngest was 2. Now their 10-15 almost 16.. and 2 of them hunted last year with the wife and I.. This year my son is 10, so we will all be hunting now fir the first time.. Its a good trip. lots of caribou, lots of walking.. just extra logistics need to be thought of.. One year they flew kites, last year was kickball on the tundra.. this year were bringing a volleyball net..

Fishing for grayling in the small creeks that flow into the sag offer a better peice of mind..(for us anyway) The SAG is FAST and if one falls in, even with a lifejacket.. that could be the end of the trip..and their life.. the small creeks are knee deep, slow moving and hold lots of small fish..camp right next to one and you can watch em fish from your lawn chair.. Bring firewood, and really enforce the trash and scent issues.. No food in the tent, no candy bars in their pockets when they go to sleep..no garbage... etc.. bears could smell it and could get ugly real quick. last but not least, just do it, make the best of it..

Buy a bug tent. It will be the best money you've ever spent for the kids. We have a 10x10 EZ-Up canopy and a 10x10 bug tent canopy. Every camp we set up has these in it..although we've now upgraded to a massive 20x20 shelter. We have a big bus converted to a camper and the kids still want to be outside. The ez-up and bug tents allow the kids to get outside and do something else even if the weather is crappy. Also, bring big 12" long spikes to anchor the shelters. Ours have held up to 30mph winds this way. Also bring fishing poles. There are tons of great greyling streams on the drive up and that makes a great break from all the driving.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks guys. You've give some really good ideas here that we'll definitely be using. Our girls are young but are very used to and love being outdoors in all types of weather. It's nice to hear that others have done this and that we're not crazy to give it a try.