Thread: Savage Edge..how good is it?

Default Savage Edge..how good is it?

I bought a .223 Rem. in the new Savage Edge as a cheap gun for a "Truck gun", home defense and because the ammo is cheap and available! I put a cheap 3 x 9 x 40 scope on it, it was an old one my Dad had and was free. Whole rig only cost $330.00, tax and all. I shot it today and it shoots pretty good....trigger pull is very hard but shot OK. Anyone else had any experience with one? This is the first "cheap gun" I've every bought!! Opinions...

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Ya don't see too many home defense guns with a 3-9 X 40 scope on it. How big is your house?

This is just part of my battery of guns...Kimber 45 ACP by my bed or on my side...12 ga Stage Coach double in the bed room ...Guide gun 45-70 near by or by the door... the 223 is for a bit further out...and a whole safe full of other assorted weapons...any questions? I was asking about the Savage rifle not an opinion on home defense!!!
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Whoa! Easy there Silver Tip, didn't mean to upset you at all, but you did say you got the gun for home defense...and you did ask for others opinions. I do have experience with Savage Arms, but not specically with an Edge. I grew up shooting an old Savage 22/.410 and I also have a Savage .243. The .243 has the Accu-Trigger, which is very smooth, but it doesn't sound like the Edge line uses it. I wouldn't think it would terribly difficult to get the trigger smoothed out a bit, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your input Frostbitten...this is going to be a gun to carry around in the truck to shoot at coyotes and other critters in addition to any two legged critters that may want to mess around the old homestead. Western Colorado is generally a safe place and us folks that live in the mountains tend to help protect each other....BUT if the economy goes to hell in a "hand basket" I want a bit more fire power for the old ranch! I considered a Ruger Ranch Rifle but I'm a bolt or lever gun sort of guy...except for my 1911. I guess I'm showing my age.

Silver Tip

Well you are "Silver Tip" on here!!

I've been curious about these as well. Can you give us a little more than 'shot pretty good'?

Well, I just shot it "over the fence" and plan a trip to the range soon...I'll get back to you on how that goes and give you a good answer...

Silver Tip

Default Savage Edge...how good is it?

I haven't gotten to the range yet but here is a picture of the rifle I fixed up...3 X 9 scope and sling. I'll let you know how the range work goes, I hope to go on Tues..

Silver TipSavage Edge .223.jpgSavage Edge .223.jpg

Got any larger pics? Did the stock come that way? Looks good...

Talking Savage Edge...how good is it?

The rifle is stock except for the sling...I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Colorado.

I'm having trouble uploading any bigger pics...

Silver Tip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics. It didn't look like a dipped camo in the small pics...

Hunt AK....The stock is "plastic" or similar stuff and is not dipped but the color runs through the entire thickness. The butt stock is hollow. The length of pull was too long for me and I cut off part of the recoil pad to make it 13 1/2". The recoil pad is "ventilated" and I just cut off the outer portion leaving about a 1/2' of rubber then put the boot style sling on. Maybe this makes no sense but it worked out OK!

Good Luck...I will let you know how it shoots, i'm going to the range in the morning...

Silver Tip

Man, I gotta see that to believe it (but that would be way cool as it would be 100x tougher than a dip job)!

Hunt-AK...I just got back from the range and the .223 shot just about a 1 1/2" group at 100 yds. Seems like I would get 2 shots at 1" apart and then a flyer or I just pulled off and would get one out to make a 1 1/2 to 2" group. I also shot 2 of my Remington 700's (6mm and 270 Win) and could consistently get MOA or better. Both guns are a bit heavier and I've shot 700's all my life and they are more expensive guns...you get what you pay for. I was however pretty happy with my "cheap gun" and think I can take some coyotes and other critter with it....

I wish you well...it's all good fun.

Silver Tip

Thanks for the report. Factory ammo?

I bet with a new trigger you would get moa or better. Rifle Basix has an adjustable trigger that will take you down from 5-6lbs of pull to 1.5-3lbs. A 5 plus pound trigger will have anyone struggling to print them itty bitty beartooth groups!

hap

The Savage trigger is easily adjusted by someone familiar with them and a better trigger IMO&E than the accu-trigger.

The Ammo is HSM out of Stevensville, MT. 55 gr soft points. I bought it at Sportsmans Warehouse. Do you have any suggestions for factory stuff. I handload for all of my other calibers but decided to go factory on this one because of the price.

Silver Tip