Thread: Any one catch halibut off the beach recently?

Default Any one catch halibut off the beach recently?

Husband wants to give it a go one of these days soon and was wondering if anyone is having any recent success off the Cook Inlet beaches?

Thanks!

I went down to Whiskey Gulch a few times in July with very limited success. I was tossing bait and used some heavy Kroc spoons but only managed a 5-6lbs halibut for 3-4 days of fishing.
    I also caught about 25 bucket mouthes during my attempts.

Probably not the info you were looking for but that is my most recent trip.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Just getting around to posting some "events" from my trip up in July. On our way out of Homer we stop at the end of the spit by Lands End and get some pollock for bait. We just drop down a 3oz jig and they are on. Well this time we had a suprise. As we drifted out i hooked up a 25lb Halibut. I did not keep it as we were just heading out and i thought it would be cool if some kid on the spit caught it so we let it go. It was a nice fish and quite a suprise!

Sodabiscuit12345,
    OK.... I am going to show my flatlander, lower 48 ignorance right now but........ "I also caught about 25 bucket mouthes during my attempts."
    What is a bucket mouth?

great sculpin, often erroneously referred to as irish lords.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

These are the magnificent beasts I speak of.

I wish they would put up a fight.

but it really just feels like you're reeling in a bucket. Or a boot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

the pic on the right is ( i think) a true irish lord, likely a red irish lord though the only sure way to tell is to count the rows of scales above he lateral line, there is some color overlap between the red and brown species.
    the pic on the left is a great sculpin, but this is a better representation of what they look like around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Went down last week to Homer and it was slow by Lands End. A lot of Cod with the high Tide. There are flounder there as well. Small but they are there. Some people call them Sole but they are there. Not hard to get them. Cast as far as you can on an incoming tide with squid or salmon cut bait.

I know this is up for debate, but Dave i think that the picture on the right is a big mouth sculpin. The BM sculpin has barbels on its lower jaw and the great sculpin does not. To me it seems that there are barbles but it could be some vegetation. It would be an interesting pic since the BM lives pretty deep.