Thread: Paxson area

Default Paxson area

Alright im probably ganna get laughed off the site but was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for moose in the Paxon area, me and a buddy are thinking of taking a road trip up towards Paxon neither of us have hunted moose off of the kenai before and just want to get out and explore a different part of the state.. Is it possible to get into decent hunting areas with just a 4x4 and no 4 wheeler. Can anyone recommend a good resource for info on Paxon I have read a lot of the archives. If anyone wants to share tips please PM me. Alright let the laughing and snickering begin.

It is a nice area - take your shotguns for the tasty tarmies...and your backpacks! I have only been in there once so hardly any experience here - but it didn't seem like a 4x4 would do a guy much good...wheelers would - but there is also some non off road areas.

Lots of restrictions. Check the BLM website and it will show where motorized vehicles are allowed.

It's a federal substistence area so you and your 50" tag will be competing against those with any-bull.

I wouldnt recommend a 4x4, mostly because you cant count on having good trees, rocks etc to winch off of if you get stuck. Also there is lots of restrictions that change depending on where you are. I speak from bad experience about 4x4 trucks out there. It took us 3 days out of our 4 day moose hunt to get our 4x4 unstuck. Not pleasant.
    The Denali Highway area is good and you have 4 options:
    1. Road hunt. Drive around and spot and enjoy the laid back hunting style, and accept the lower success rate.
    2. Hike your butt off, especially to the north.
    3. Bring a 4 wheeler and move, glass, move, glass, move, glass..... (Thats how I got last year's moose)
    4. I know a lot of people that tow a raft or canoe up the MacLaren or some of the other drainages north where everything is not motorized and then float back down.
    From what I gather, options 3 and 4 are the most successful in the Denali Highway/Paxson area. I used #3 last year to get my moose. My supervisor uses #4 every year and gets one about half the time (including last year).
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

PC190387.jpg
    Exhibit A of why I will never take a 4x4 back there. Guy on the left is my hunting partner, Jeremiah. The white buggy with muskeg/mud up to his drivers side window is his. The guy on the right is the friend we had to call to come and help get us out. Trail conditions change so fast and you can find muskeg holes in crazy places with no trees to winch to. Plan B with 4-wheelers was much more successful. You can get places on the 4x4 but I think you're a little more limited with trails and such. I think 4-wheelers let you get a little more space to yourself. My two cents.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

My Favorite place in the world, I go not to hunt but fish mostly! but there are wheeler trails but most are packed with other hunters. Though this year may be different seeing that Moose is open right now with 3 brow tines so a lot of people are out filling there tags, maybe there will be less pressure in the late season.

There are a number of trails in the area that you can use a truck or atv on. If you go in the BLM website it has a map and lsit the trail conditions of all the trails under their jurisdiction. There are plenty of trails not under them. If you are on federal land(BLM ran) you have to stay on the trails and can not go cross country like you can on state land. Like H20Dogg that is one of my favorite areas and I normally am in there during the summer for fishing but have gone in the fall a number of times.

Back to the truck thing, not sure what you have for a truck but if it is stock or even close do not plan on taking it off the road up there. Way too much muskeg to be playing around with small tires.

You might contact the F&G office in Glenallen to see if they have done any arial surveys in the past few years for moose density. It could help you narrow down an area to concentrate on. They will do grid patterns usually in a 6 mile square