Thread: Alpha Fur and deer capes

Default Alpha Fur and deer capes

Assuming that there are any deer left on Kodiak after this winter. I hope to be shipping some deer capes and maybe a fox hide or two back to NM come November. I might as well have them tanned and shipped. I was wondering if anyone has experience with Alpha Fur in Anchorage, good or bad. I've searched the archives and read some good and some bad about their handling of furbearers, but not much about their handling of capes. The fox don't have to be taxidermy grade but I plan on mounting the deer.

Thanks,
    --Bill

had a sheep go south of cheese at their place course they blamed me for that, but everything else has been taken care of just fine.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up Alpha fur

I have had great results in using them for capes and bear hides...I also encourage my clients to leave all their trophies there so they don't have to mess with shipping, etc plus get quality tanning, and then let Alpha do the shipping to you or your taxidermist. That's also what I'll personally do if I'm fortunate to down a brownie this fall.

Two thumbs and two big toes up for Alpha. Very professional and always a quick, quality turn around.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

--Bill

Default First-timer experience

Last year was my first experience with them; dropped a moose cape off there and they did a very good job on it.

I've been using Knight's Taxidermy, but the hunter insisted...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

That is good to hear. I do my own taxidermy and usually tan my own capes, but I figured that it would be one less box to worry about shipping and maybe losing.

--Bill

Default Nope

I took one bear in with two holes. It came back with around one hundred holes. Won't use them.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Don't

I have had many problems with Alpha.
    Muskox, blackbear,sheep,bison,and martin all came back with damage.

Default How recently?

Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    I have had many problems with Alpha.
    Muskox, blackbear,sheep,bison,and martin all came back with damage.
    Pooh and others who have had problems with Alpha-

I was recently told that Alpha USED to have a lot of trouble, but that they changed hands recently (within the last year or two) and that they are doing a great job now. What's your take?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Angry Bear

Seen a black bear come back last spring with a whole foot missing? It was skinned out very well with no cuts when it went to them. The bottom line is how aggressive the person is using the fleshing machine. After the initial pickle the hide is shaved down using a round knife fleshing machine. If you go to fast while running this thing, you will cut holes in the hide. I just figured that if they cut a foot off then at least they would give you back the foot and not tell you that it is not their problem.

I've used them for wolves and caribou over the past few years with mostly good luck. I say mostly because one wolf was suppose to be a pedistal shoulder mount, which I explained to them repeatedly, and when I got it back, they had cut the cape right up the middle to the chin. It can still be used, but it means a line of stitches will need to be hidden when it could have been avoided. Everyting else has come back very quickly and in good shape. I would still use them again, just make sure you are on the same page when telling them what you want. I don't think they have changed hands recently, as I have been dealing with the same person over the years. They have changed location within the past 2 years.

I've used Alpha with no problems. I don't think they've changed hands recently either. I first used them about four years ago. I used them again last year and the same guy is running the place, although they moved from off the Old Seward Hgwy to over in the neighborhood of the SBS on Minnesota (as a rough location).

Last year I took my spring brown bear hide to them and they did a good job. If I get another bear this year, that's where the hide is going.