Thread: sight options

Question sight options

I'm going to be buying a new rifle shortly and am currently considering a Savage 116 in .338 win. I am not sure how I want the new rifle sighted. I'm thinking that a low power variable is best but I think I would really like open sights as a backup. Anybody know of a QD setup that would let me mount an aperture sight? I know Ruger has a rear peep that locks onto the rear integral scope mount but since I'm left handed, on a budget and want a caliber bigger than Ruger offers in LH it looks like Ruger is out!
    Remingtons and Winchesters are just a bit out of my Range for right now. Anybody have an open sight/scope setup on your rifle that is simple, as little hassle as possible and reliable? Or should I just pick my poison with a short scope and live with it?
    Thanks ya'll................

Default Removeable aperture...

The only thing that springs to mind is something along the lines of the old Lyman series, specifically the Model 48's. I believe that the Model 57 also had the pushbutton release. The 57 is a good sight, but I believe only half-minute adjustments, I don't know if there's a quarter minute adjustment knob available. Midway's got the 57's for the 110 at $67.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=278103

New rifles are rarely encountered drilled and tapped for a receiver sight anymore, so plan on having to have that done, and find someone who can do it right.
    Only problem with this type sight is that I usually leave them in the rangebox at home when I need them in the field.....

If you're able to use a Weaver-style base on the Savage you can get an aperture sight from NECG that is designed to mount on it. It's the same idea as the one for the Ruger base, but designed to fit a Weaver base. Cabela's, etc. have them.

Rooster, The 116 Savage is a fine rifle with a very good trigger. About sights - they can get spendy and even pass up a good scope on price. XS makes ghost ring sights for just about everything these days, but add 75.00 plus mounting to the cost of the rifle. Bushnell makes a great scope of the money and adding a little short scope is going to make that rifle sweet. You can always upgrade scopes later on, but a scope makes the rifle complete. This bit if wisdom is coming from a guy that hangs glass on everything that shoots because my eyes are old and sharp as a gravy ladle. If you are buying on Pricepoint (cheapest bang for the buck) and do not have to have new stock, You may want to scan the gun shops and gunbroker.com gunsamerica.com and my little secret gun place kitterytradingpost.com in Maine. Guys buy Alaska guns and discover those Magnums kick ,so the trade in for 22's. Kittery gets stuck with big caliber Mags and sells them cheap sometimes. Example:
    Savage Model: 110D
    Action: Rifle: Bolt
    Caliber: 338 Win Mag
    Condition: 96%
    Features: 26"; OPEN SIGHTS
    Price: $345.00

-OR-

Model: M77
    Action: Rifle: Bolt
    Caliber:338 Win Mag
    Condition:85%
    Features: 24"; CAMO ,SIGHTS,PORT
    Price: $405.00

I simply can't see a backup iron sight that isn't permanently attached to the rifle. If your luck goes and the scope takes a crap, odds are you'll have somehow lost the clamp on rear sight, and will have to re-zero it as well.

I've found std barrel mounted sights are capable of 2 moa accuracy, and thus a 4" group at 200 yds is fine with me, as I just can't make out animals further than that with irons.

A 338 dishes out notable levels of recoil, and hence you will have to spend some $ on a good scope. I'm quite partial to leupolds compact 2.5X, it has a generous 5" of eye relief, plenty bright, and has stood up to rifles that dish out 2 to 3 times as much recoil as a 338 mag. I know folks think you need a telestial telescope to accurately place shots, but that little 2.5X has never kept me from shooting my hunting rifles as accurately as they are capable of (closer to 1/2" than 1" groups) and I've proved that by swapping out to higher powered glass that didn't do a thing to shrink my groups.

Smile Thanks guys

You have given me lots to ponder... I don't really think there is a perfect solution here either. I have considered every comment and all have valid points!
    Here in Minnesota having a sight system crash only ruins a few hours for me. But in Alaska I want to be able to keep hunting if I crash a scope. I can't carry a spare everything with me!....
    I was thinking at work today maybe the scout setup might work... A forward setting scope with a peep securely attached at the rear. I grew up with a peep/aperture sight and love them. Most of the scopes I own are 4X or 1.5 x4ish variables. Really high power scopes are frustrating for me to use because they accentuate every move I make!! Ruins my concentration! I am partial to Burris and Leupold but I know there are others that are just as good. My best buddies here are shop owners and gunsmiths so I'm pretty well taken care of that way. But even their price breaks can't solve all my problems! Tomorrow I'll head over to the shop and verify prices on the Savage 116, and ask my smith what a scout scope mount would run and if it would be practical. I guess if I could have the rear sight mounted seperately from the scope it would eliminate any possibility of damage from a scope getting wrecked. I looked at the XS site and am refering to their scout scope mounts... with the ghost ring mounted behind the scope I could just remove the scope and be ready to go.....
    I'll keep you guys informed as things progress.
    One question on the side. Do you think the factory barrel length on the magnum Savages are a bit long?
    Thanks all................

I consider a quality scope with good mounts the wisest investment you can make, I'd take a $300 rifle with a $300 scope over a $500 rifle with a $100 scope every single time. When you're looking at $1-3,000 just in travel and other costs for a hunt, saving a hundred bucks or so on a scope, that if it goes south will make for the loss of every dollar of that hunt is a poor bargain.

I think the scout setup is a poor compromise on a bolt gun, and your money would be better spent on a good scope in conventional mounts than spending a bunch to put a scope setup on your savage. Also realize a scout on a bolt gun will put alot of weight forward on the gun, which will throw it out of balance.

Don't try to overthink or mickey mouse the gun. Just get a leupold 2.5X compact or 1.5-5 variable, put it in a good set of weaver type mounts, such as talleys, and put a couple of boxes of ammo through it to make sure everything is solid. If you invest in a quality scope, the backup sights aren't such a concern. If you put your $ into backup sights intead of the scope, then you're much more likely to have to use them.

Default your sight options

Google "Brockmans Rifles" and look at the pop up peep sight he puts on the rear Talley base. If you like it call and talk to him and tell him what kind of scope and rifle you are using and he will tell you if it will work.

Talking Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    Don't try to overthink or mickey mouse the gun. Just get a leupold 2.5X compact or 1.5-5 variable, put it in a good set of weaver type mounts, such as talleys, and put a couple of boxes of ammo through it to make sure everything is solid. If you invest in a quality scope, the backup sights aren't such a concern. If you put your $ into backup sights intead of the scope, then you're much more likely to have to use them.
    Point well taken... and that is exactly what I don't want to end up with. I do however want to look at all angles before I decide. I want to do it right the first time. Down here in Minnesota it wouldn't matter much as I can just go get another rifle from the truck or just drive home quick. But the setup I choose is a bit more critical (I would think) in Alaska. I know that you guys take your rifles much more seriously up there than down here. Here you are very likely to see half butchered japanese arisaka's with homemade sights (and worse!)..... out taking deer But I doubt anyone in Alaska would venture out with one if given a choice!! (hahaha).... But seriously.... I just want to considered all my options before checks get written and it's a done deal. Thats why I asked here because I know I'll get answers from people who actually depend on their equipment more than what is needed here....