Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Days

Default Sheep Days

After alot of waiting for permits to be announced the day finally came and with it a DS102 (Tok Sheep). I've been putting in for 8 years for all kinds of different permits some low sucess some high but had never drawn a permit for anything. As it turns out it took 8 years for the sheep I shot to get big enough to be harvested.

Stats and info-
    Hunters-3 (Myself, Wife, Dad)
    Area- TMA
    Flight Service- Fortymile Air (Awesome)
    Pack- Barney's Pinnacle (The only way to go)
    Tent- Nallo 4GT (plenty of room for 3)
    Rifle- Tikka T3 .300 Win Mag
    Bullet/load- 180 grain Partition 72.5 grains IMR 4350
    Sheep- 8yrs old, Fullcurl
    Shot-300 yards down hill at a 45 degree angle
    Result- Happy Hunters

We flew in on the 8th of August so we settled in a took some photos for a few days.

Lots of action to see from camp

That first 'bou is a dandy...

keep em coming! Wishin I was going sheep hunting instead of 'bou hunting on Friday.....but glad I am getting out this year.

After 2 days in the field the waiting was finally over. The alarm went of at 3:30 on August 10th and we were off. We had seen 7 different rams pour over ridge just behind our camp so we thought that would be a good place to start. Just after topping out I came around a corner and down below me I spot a nice ram bedded down 100 yards away. I back track a few steps and signaled for my wife a dad to stop. Maybe 30 seconds pass and I slowly creep out to look for the Ram. Nothing, gone, what? we look around and no sign of any sheep below us. We were on a nice rolling slope. I am completely confused. Was I seeing things. Did I invent this Ram in all my opening day excitement. There is no way we spooked it, it was bedded down below us. Wierd how your mind plays tricks on you when you have so much anticipation. After I calm down I am sure this ram existed I just need to find out were it disappered to. I go up and my Dad goes down. Still seeing nothing I head for a small saddle above were I had originally seen the ram as I crest over the rim I see THEM. 4 Rams all good sized one clearly bigger than the other 3 in the lead. As they slowly walk away (250 yards) I fumble with a rest and put a bullet in the chamber with the safety on. I get the Largest Ram in my scope and its moving and starting to pickup speed. Oh no its going to get away..... I put my finger on the safety and take one more look at the horns. Thats when I heard a little voice in my head say "Make sure its legal". "Make sure this is the Ram you want to look at on your wall." It has the mass but the curl is just not there. No time to age it do I shoot and risk it? Will this be my only chance on this hunt?

I stop, stand up and let the sheep walk away. My wife watches them crest the hill and wonders why I don't shoot. I just tell her thats not our sheep. The rest of the day we are up on rigdes looking down on pinnnacles a few Rams peak out here and there but we can never see them long enough to judge them. Finally at about four in the afternoon we decide to hunt our way back to camp. The plans for the next day were already filling our heads. I figured I blew it but was confident the Ram was sublegal. Then all at once things changed. We got a new perspective on the pinnacles we had seen some rams on you and I was able to identify 3 legal Rams mixed in rocks and cliffs. My dad and I selected a spot to shoot from and just as we got into position the rains came. For the first and only time on our trip it started to pour the rocks got wet and we had to think about a new strategy. Wait out the weather or comeback the next day? I talked it over with my Dad and he was definately leaning towards coming back the next day when we had more time to deal with a dead sheep. I didn't want to walk away, there is no way I could sleep with 3 legal Rams in the drainage behind my tent. I ask my wife if she was willing to wait it out if that meant spending the night away from camp. Her response was something like "this is easy compared to Chitina." At that moment I thought what a lucky man I am. My wife wants to sleep out in the rocks if thats what it takes to get our Ram. There was no way I was walking from this sheep. The decision was made to stay.

As soon as we made the decision to stay the weather began to clear.

there were two Rams on a ridge 300 yards below us. Both Rams were fullcurl but one was noticably larger than the other. I get a rest and wait for the larger ram to show me its body from behind a rock. 15 minutes later the larger Ram is joined by the smaller of the two. They've got their heads buried in the rocks. It turns out they were both trying to break off their lamb tips. Finally the two Rams split up and the larger of the two stood broad side thats when I noticed the left horn was broomed. I immediately lost interest in the larger Ram and moved my crosshairs to the smaller of the two. I squeezed of a shot and the Ram lurched forward my Dads back up shot followed directly after and both Rams disappeared?

I have been hunting Goats with my Dad since I was 14, we always back each other up. This sheep was no different. I owe my Dad big time because the first thing that came out of my mouth was " Dad you shot the wrong one." From my perspective I hit the sheep I wanted good and he dropped the larger one that was to the left. To my amazement after a few seconds a lone broomed Ram steps out in the sun. What a relief. Sorry Dad. My Ram took a nasty fall 60-70 feet from this

We gathered our things and headed down into the valley to find our trophy. I worked my way up to where the Ram was standing when I shot him. No sign of anything. While I was scurrying around in the nasties I thought to myself I've got a wife a kids what am I doing up here. Then things went a little different. I hear my dad roar and yell down below and then a shot, then more yelling. I had left my wife and dad down below to look for the Ram. I can't see them. My instincts tell me its a Bear. I look out across the valley and see a young bear running away. Not nearly as fast as you would hope but still leaving the area.
    What a relief everyone is ok. But, still no Ram. I decide thats enough looking around I've got to get back down to my hunting partners. I scan the rest of the nooks and crannies looking for blood or anything, I am starting to wonder if we are ever going to find the Ram. Next, I hear a shot I go over to edge to look . My wife had found it, sweet.

One horn popped of from the fall and we lost some meat. My wife found the other horn 20 feet from where the Ram laid. As we where packing up to leave I tell my wife now you can tell everyone you have been officially charged by a bear. Not more than 5 minutes later she yells "Bear." My Dad and I look up and see the same bear running at us from the side thru the rocks at 100 yards. We grab our guns my Dad says "wait let me shoot first." The bear closes in to 75 then 50 yards then my Dad fires. The Bear took a hard hit and changed direction I backed him up with a organ shot the bear was down we both missed our second shots then we let the bear die. Woa. Thanks to my wife for spotting the bear, it could have been an ugly scene.

That bear doesn't look so good, though admittedly not the best angle to really judge that. Looks skinny for mid Aug to me.

Awesome hunt. This is my first Ram in 4 sheep hunts. I could not have done it with out the help of my Wife, Dad, and most of all God's protection.

R 36 1/2" L 36 1/4 13" bases 8 yrs old

More of that High tech camo I see! Congrat on a great hunt with the family!!!

Lujon, the bear was a 2-3 yr old sow, maybe 5 foot. She had very little fat and a bad attitude.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Great job Chano - I'm most envious!!!

Great job, the Hunt, the story, thanks for posting

Great pics too and Congrats On Sheep Success to all of you
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great hunt and great write up!

Memories for a lifetime. Thanks for letting us enjoy them too.
    Proud to be an American!

Now that is one heck of a hunt! Congrats!!!!

WHOA!!! Right on! What a fantastic hunt! And to have your Dad and wife along as well. Truly a hunt of a lifetime and your first ram to boot. That must have been one hard fall to knock one of his horns off his head. And then for your wife to be able to find it!?!?!? How cool is that?!

Hey big guy! Great job and story! Had RC up from Sitka and we had a good hunt. Saw where you had your sheep sealed in Tok! Glad you got one. Glad you had 40 mile air fly you in!

Enjoyed your story and pictures.

Tim

Beautiful ram! I killed one that lost a horn one year, but it was not through falling (the bullet entered the eye socket and shattered the base of the horn, popping it off). Must have been a tremendous fall to do that!

Congrats on having family along; my wife and I have hunted moose and caribou together, but not sheep. That would really be something.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast