Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Silver Fly

Default Favorite Silver Fly

Headed to the Tsiu this weekend. Thought I would poll the experts....

Not an expert, but caught lots of silvers. My favorite fly is a #2 egg sucking bunny leech (purple/pink) from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'll second Dan's suggestion. Bunny leeches and purple and pink egg sucking leeches. I also like blue flash flies when the water is a little stained. I've had success on popsicle flys. Seems like anything with maribou and purple/pink/blue in color are good bets.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Not an expert, but caught lots of silvers. My favorite fly is a #2 egg sucking bunny leech (purple/pink) from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html
    do you get all your stuff from there Dan? By the way I had a nice talk with Mike, and told him you steered me in his direction. Also just to throw it out there you shoudl go look at trout beads .com I think you might like what you seen Mr. Dan the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I'll second Dan's suggestion. Bunny leeches and purple and pink egg sucking leeches. I also like blue flash flies when the water is a little stained. I've had success on popsicle flys. Seems like anything with maribou and purple/pink/blue in color are good bets.
    I kinda came up with an articulating bunny flesh fly, tail being pink and the body being purple that worked well, the 2 I made, one with a barbell and the other with out. It seemed to me the one with out seemed to work better, I guess it was a bit further off the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    do you get all your stuff from there Dan?
    Yeah man, I am a fan of Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. They run exactly the kind of business I want to help support. I have bought flies from a dozen fly shops across the country. Had some "pro" tiers make custom creations at my suggestion on Ebay and other places. Bought flies in all the normal places, Hill's Discount Flies, Cabelas junk, Sportsmans junk and formerly McAfee's (now Mossy's) in Anch. By far, the best flies (selection and quality) have come from the good folks at AFFG in Juneau.

I am a fan. I even wear their hat to prove it. Ha ha..

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah man, I am a fan of Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. I have bought flies from a dozen fly shops across the country. Had some "pro" tiers make custom creations at my suggestion on Ebay and other places. Bought flies in all the normal places, Cabelas, Sportsmans and Mcaffey's (now Mossy's) in Anch. Gas stations, you name it. BY FAR, the best flies have come from the good folks at AFFG in Juneau. I even wear their hat to prove it. Ha ha... I am a fan.
    well I can certainly see why you like them, Mike seems like a pretty good guy.

Also if you can find a pink bunny with dumbell eyes try it out
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Yeah man, I am a fan of Alaska Fly Fishing Goods. They run exactly the kind of business I want to help support. I have bought flies from a dozen fly shops across the country. Had some "pro" tiers make custom creations at my suggestion on Ebay and other places. Bought flies in all the normal places, Hill's Discount Flies, Cabelas junk, Sportsmans junk and formerly McAfee's (now Mossy's) in Anch. By far, the best flies (selection and quality) have come from the good folks at AFFG in Juneau.

I am a fan. I even wear their hat to prove it. Ha ha..

-Dan
    Wow if that pic isn't ever a commercial..........LOL Maybe you should stop in Juneau some time and fish there on your way up here, I have heard there is good fishing down there. NIce hat, looks like you need to get the stink off it! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by twozero View Post
    Headed to the Tsiu this weekend. Thought I would poll the experts....
    I've been out around there several times; best luck on black ESLs with red heads, silver flash flies, and fuchsia bunny leeches. That's about it.

Dolly Llamas/Bunny Leeches in pink, fushia, purple, and chartruse seem to work in most places. Egg Sucking Leeches rarely fail, especially in low water.

Yain't got naw silvers in Yellerknife

Betcha never seen a silver.

Got any pichures to proove it??

That page has it all wrong haven't they seen the russian when the reds are in???????? Silvers most sought after bows????? Hmmm what about kings????? I think more people care about kings and reds then silvers and bows. just my opinion though.

Hey Dan............sho du gawda purdy mowth!

Sounds like someone needs so lay of the beer If ya want i can send some flys ive been experimenting with. A yellow zonker strip with a pink hackle, With dumbell eyes it works really good casting upriver and aggresivly striping it in. But hell why would i send any to you? the fly needs some work tho
    -Local 907 Riders Union

My favorite way to fish silvers is with a wog. I'd never go chasing silvers without a few. Other than that? They'll bite anything. It's hard to beat a hook with a piece of yarn. My yarn box has 8 colors and I'm not afraid to use them.

Make sure you have a few topwater flies in your box. Techno-wogs, pollywogs, poppers...As long as it is pink, and it floats, you are in business.

How would you fish topwater? I havent really fished top water salmon. Just 'bows and grays. Is it the same way as a dry, or do you cast upstream and strip down?
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Make sure you have a few topwater flies in your box. Techno-wogs, pollywogs, poppers...As long as it is pink, and it floats, you are in business.
    People say that but I have never seen a silver hit one, tons of pinks though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast