Thread: cabin power

Default cabin power

What gauge wire should I run from my generator to my power box of my cabin? I will only be running 2 or 3 circuits off of my box. It will mainly be used to run lights, and occasional power tools, for the cabin.
    thanks

How long of a run from your generator to the box this may seem minimal but can make a big difference

The largest you can afford. You may want to upgrade your power system in the future and if your run is to small gauge you will have to scrap it and start all over. For 3kw gen and 80ft run I used 6 gauge.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have about 75 feet between 6kw generator and cabin. I used 10/3 direct burial wire. I've never had any problems.

I'm the same as Mr Pid, 10/3 direct bury, the two hot wires landed on the hot terminals in the house panel (for single phase). No problems as of yet.

Look at the plug-in you wish to use on the generator. Most have nothing larger than a 30amp 220v plug-in. In this case there is no problem running 10/3 direct burial wire for up to 100'. For a 20 amp plug you can get away with 12/3 wire.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default The load?

There are formulas for calculating the loads on residential dwellings, which determine service, feeder, and branch circut wire sizes. The load determines the wire size in these calculations. If you stick with NEC calculations you can't go wrong. The cable (wire) must be 115% of the generator output, but if you size to the load not to the generator you can upgrade to larger generators without replacing your service wires. ALSO this type of generator connection is considered permanent and requires a grounding rod, grounding electrode conductor, etc. I highly recommend this! With more info I'll caculate it out for you.