Thread: 240 Merc SportJet

Default 240 Merc SportJet

Just wondering how many of you out there have one of the 240HP Sportjets in your boat and what you are running it in???

I have an 18' RMX - Riddle Marine Center Console, Full UHMW.

Mine is a 2004 Jet Craft 1975 now the "FastWater"

Nice,

How do you like the motor. I just got mine in May and like the power. A little smokey and hard on fuel but sure fly's.

No issues as of yet really, seems I may have some water in the fuel as the warning alarm goes off right after the start of the last 2 trips. I have only ran it twice, once in Lake Louise to check it over and then in the Talkeetna yesterday... That was the first time she has been in a river, it only had 72 hours on it when I got it. Mine doesn't appear to be smokey except right after start up and I would agree with you about the fuel. But so far, I am happy with it....

I have a place up clear creek, so maybe I will see you on the river. Mine smokes mostly at start-up.

Shoot me a PM or click on my site and send me an email if you dont mind

Just curious what oil do you guys run. I run full synthetic and get 0 smoke. I do have a 200 SJ but I also run full synthetic in all my old snowmachines with almost 0 smoke. Just somthing to think about.

I am running West Marine Premium, but the boat did the same thing with the factory Merc oil as well. It only smokes at start up and then goes away.

I am using regular TCW-3, what type of synthetic are you using?

Sorry just notice you have a 200 Opti. I have one in my other boat and they do not smoke at all. From what I have heard the 240 over-injects at idle and are know to be a little smokey?

Amsoil for me. Im a believer and run it in all my rotating engines. I wonder on the 240 over injecting at an idle. If your trolling will it load up? I dont think over injecting a little is bad but if your trolling around in the ocean and foul a plug that would suck.

I have not doen any trolling, but yes that would suck. I would like to reduce the smoke and might give Amsoil a try. Do you know if you can mix it with regular TCW-3? I am new to the 240, but from what I have heard they are stout engines.

Not sure about the mixing. I would check out the amsoil site and see what they say. Also If you become a prefered member $10 a year you save a ton on oil compared to napa or any other dealer. There is a warehouse in wasilla or eagle river and it ships fast.