Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who animal is it?

Default Who animal is it?

Thought that this would make an interesting tread after reading another thread. Couple of different secnerios. You and your buddy are hunting and you shoot the animal runs off some, your buddy shoots the same animal and it goes down. Upon skinning you discover that the original first shot was a killing shot. Who owns the kill? Is there anything in the regs requarding this? Next scenerio, You shoot hit animal keeps going then your buddy shoots it and it drops. Yours grazed the animal and his was a killing shot. This one would seem easier. What about if your first shot is a gut shot, yes the animal will die but it may be days. How about if you play the game 1,2,3.....shoot? My buddy always shot on 2 Do you think that there is a difference in what is sportman like conduct between partnes that would or is different than what the law states? Share some of your stories, good or bad. Leave the names of the innocent out Please play nice and no name calling

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think good partners have that figured out before the first shot is fired....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The meat would belong to the guy with the most room in the freezer?
    I've got a LOT of room... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i think good partners have that figured out before the first shot is fired....
    couldnt agree more

Usually the first person to put a bullet in the animal and a good partner backs him, or her, up to insure the animal does not needlessly suffer. I've been on both sides and as Vince stated, good partners have this already settled. Besides, we split the meat so the only question is who's tag is used. (And no, its not a party hunt)

I agree with Bill S. Split the meat first shot fills out the tag.

Partners usually have the figured out before hand. My partner and I could care less. We split the meat anyways. Most years we both shoot our own animals.

I would say if you have to ask you were not really buddies
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

First to draw blood fills out the tag. Everybody else is supporting cast.

This seems to come up every year...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would say if you have to ask you were not really buddies

I agree totally, when I go with a partner it is to share the experience as a team, there is no animal - trophy or not - that I would want to claim away from a friend that shot and hit it first! Even if his or her shot would not have been a killing shot..
    I would not even lay claim to an animal shot by another hunter that I did not know or was not in my party if they shot first. If tagging an animal is that important to the 2nd shooter than they need to do some deep soul searching.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'm with everybody else, decieded long before the hunt, never a problem. After all, the work after is shared also, so is the meat.

You fire the first shot, it goes on your tag. It seemed last year at this time we had quite an issue with this "backing up" scenario.

Last year my dad and I shot a grizz in the Brooks during Sheep season. He fired first and I backed him up and the bear was dead within 30 seconds of the first shot. Some members of the board then labeled us as "not true sportsman" for killing the bear "out of revenge". (Don't know where they got that from) Others then cried about how I backed him up as it wasn't "legal" and we had no morals.

Bottom line, you shoot first, it's on your tag. You miss/make a bad shot, tough luck.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Our arguement has always been: Who has to punch their tag.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

i like the first blood rules,then there is no ??.

it's up to him or her

I like the "what happens in the field, stays in the field".....TMI....to much information!......

Pike Palace- I can't see why someone would say that backing your dad up is "not true sportsmenís'.. but you know how some folks are!.......I would have said..my dad got a nice grizzly!, here a picture, have a nice day!.......That's keeps the arm chairs hunters off your case...imo

The first shooter intended to kill the animal, but for whatever reason failed to do so. Backing someone up is simply an attempt to ensure the animal does not escape wounded, to die a painful, lingering death. I agree that this all needs to be talked out in advance though. I don't think you'll find a lot of clarity in the law on this one (though perhaps our Trooper friends would be so kind as to chime in on this one?).

Of course on guided hunts, it is not uncommon for a guide to shoot a wounded animal. In those cases there is no question who tags the animal.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Three years ago, I took a shot at a caribou. It ran 40 yards. My buddy shot at it. It ran 40 more yards, then it folded up dead. One shot in the animal - vitals. We logged it as 1/2 a caribou each, and kept that amount of meat. We punched my tag, though.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I have heard of a big mature ram that was barely grazed by one party and ran over the mountain over a mile away and another party killed the ram. The original party came and claimed it because it was hit first by party 1. The wound was so superficial that it was hardly visible except a little red on the white hair. Second party relinquished to first party. But I would have a hard time doing so especially if the animal was never to be seen by the first party if it wasn't for the second party killing it. Would it matter if it was subsistence hunters vs sport as in unit 23 that hunt at the same time? This was a sub hunter that wounded it and a sport hunter that killed and turned it over to sub hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Three years ago, I took a shot at a caribou. It ran 40 yards. My buddy shot at it. It ran 40 more yards, then it folded up dead. One shot in the animal - vitals. We logged it as 1/2 a caribou each, and kept that amount of meat. We punched my tag, though.

-Gr
    Thats when I just smile at my bud and say, heck we must have both shot it in the same hole!

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I have heard of a big mature ram that was barely grazed by one party and ran over the mountain over a mile away and another party killed the ram. The original party came and claimed it because it was hit first by party 1. The wound was so superficial that it was hardly visible except a little red on the white hair. Second party relinquished to first party. But I would have a hard time doing so especially if the animal was never to be seen by the first party if it wasn't for the second party killing it. Would it matter if it was subsistence hunters vs sport as in unit 23 that hunt at the same time? This was a sub hunter that wounded it and a sport hunter that killed and turned it over to sub hunter.

This happened to me when I was in college hunting whitetails in IA....I shot a decent buck on public land (good hit I thought)...it ran down a hill about 150 yards totally out of sight and I hear "BOOM"....aaaah dang I thought. I hustled down there and found a 12 year old boy with his grandpa standing over my buck with the biggest smile I'd ever seen. My original shot took out one lung and the buck was running on pure adrenaline...his shot spined him on the spot at 40 yards. Being totally new to hunting the kid didn't know any different. The old man looked at me and I knew he knew what had happened because he saw the hole in the lung...neither of us said a word. So I will never know if I'd have recovered that deer or not. It was bitter sweet, but ended up being one of the coolest hunts I was ever a part of because of how excited that kid was.

Sort of along the same lines I guess - tough call in any situation.

The trick is to find a partner to hunt with that no matter what happens in the end you're both smiling from ear to ear and there are no sour grapes about anything....those partners are hard to find, but once found and that bond is formed, your hunts are at a whole new level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast