Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Survey- Tents

Thumbs up The Ultimate Survey- Tents

Okay folks,

I'm seeing more pack questions coming up, and I'm sure you've noticed, if you've been here long, that the subject of best packs, tents, rifles, sleeping bags, stoves, water filters, etc. comes up pretty frequently. So I thought we could try a poll on each item, starting with tents.

What I'd like to do is to have you post your favorite tent, if you could choose only one, in this thread. Then I'll take the most popular requests and put them in a poll. We'll try the same thing with rifles, packs, sleeping bags and other gear. It's not scientific, but it might be helpful for a lot of these new folks coming in (this website is growing by leaps and bounds, by the way).

So... how about it? If you could choose only one tent for all your Alaska hunting needs, which one would it be?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default North Face VE-25

I've used this model tent on high mountains on four continents and on the Greenland ice cap. While it is a bit cramped for luxury lounging in hunting camp, it is bombproof in high winds, snow, rain, etc. If weight is a concern in your pack or in an aircraft, this is the first tent to consider.

But, as they say, other's mileage may vary...

Dan

Thumbs up MSR fusion 3 / Barneys Bomb Shelter

MSR fusion 3 Is a 3-4 season tent for two people "one person really comfortable , two people and gear is kinda tight" I love this tent for packing back in aways for you and your buddy because it only weighs about 5 lbs and breaks down smaller than my sleeping bag . It is also very quick to set up and break down. I used it for a season over in Iliamna for assitante guiding caribou and moose and had been trough some REALLY NASTY WEATHER and that little tent held up great and i always stayed dry. So as soon as i got back to town i had to have one.

If i was to stay very comfortable and not have to worry about the weight or bulkyness being an issue i would have to highly recommend Barney's Bomb Shelters These were another tent that we used for caribou and moose hunts and once again these tents are a snap to set up and tear down and will stand up to any kind of weather you can throw at em " I have exsperinced it raining sideways in 70mph wind for 3 days straight and stayed totally dry" .

Todd
    Last edited by akpredator; 02-06-2007 at 08:59. Reason: spell check
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Hilleberg Namatj 3 GT. Weighs about 8.5 pounds and is a good four season tent. You have to be careful with venting if it gets too warm out. Extremely large vestibule makes it a must have for when the weather turns wet. I only wanted one tent and I felt it was the best all around choice for Alaska hunting, if you leave out below zero camping. Holds two people with space for drying clothes and cooking in the tent and the vestibule can hold boots, two packs, and more.

I back pack with this tent (my wife and I split the weight) but if you're really concerned about weight you can get the Nallo 3GT and drop about a pound and a half at the expense of a little thinner poles and material.

Default one man mt hardware pct1

unreal quality for the price, less than 4lbs, one man tent with some room, lasted my clients three years before i replaced it.

big tent...only one! the arctic oven!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default No good answer

Mike:

To get a good answer, you'll probably need to qualify it a bit more. Tents come in such a variety of shapes & sizes for different applications -- essentially, everything from a bivvy sack to a canvas "Taj Mahal".

I have 5 "shelters": Mountain Hardware bivvy sack, Black Diamond mega-mid, Northface 2-person, 4 season (loaner/spare/backup), Mountain Hardware Trango2 2+-person, 4 season, and a Eureka 12x12 basecamp-type. They're all good, just depends on the application and/or limitations.

The Mega-mid is great for spiking out, or using at basecamp as a place for out-of-the-weather storage or out-of-the-weather cooking. No floor means not having to worry about removing muddy boots or spillling fuel, food, etc.

I only got the Trango2 a couple months ago and haven't had a chance to put it to any hard use yet. It's a bit on the heavy side at close to 10 lbs, but its well-built and apperars to be able to take on whatever Ma Nature might throw your way. Some people have called it "bombproof". I'd have to say it would probably be my first choice for 2 people on an extended trip or potentially real bad weather (ie, snow, wind).

The old Northface still does what I ask of it, and for a short trip, travelling light, from late spring to early fall, I'd probably take it to save a few pounds. On an extended drop-off trip I'll take it along as a backup and leave it at the landing strip, just in case our primary tent gets trashed.

So . . . .

Default Cabelas guide series tent

I've used a Cabelas Guide series tent on a few occasions in terrible weather adn I have to say it is the nicest tent I've ever used, so I went and bought one myself. So far mine hasn't seen any bad weather, but I'm confident that when I do it will perform well.
    Upside: roomy, well ventilated if need be, has extra (doors) for putting stuff out and in without going outside, has wide variety of options, does well in weather, wind.
    Downside: heavy, this is definatley not a sheep tent, the zipper on the front door while pretty heavy duty is not nearly heavy enough IMO, somewhat tricky to put up until you've done it a few times. I recommend it for most hunting camps, just not where weight is going to be the main factor.
    Justin
    Justin

Thumbs up Mountain Hardware Trango 2

Great tent with PLENTY of room for 1 person and gear and adequate room for 2 with gear. Lots of storage inside, two vestibules, and versitility of using just the footprint and rainfly if you want lighter pack weight. I bought mine on sale over the internet for $350 ($100 savings). There may be better tents out there, but for the money, this one is tough to beat in my opinion.

Shannon

Default tent

love my Kifaru tipi with the stove. I have an 8 man that sees use as a base camp type tent (wish I'd gone for the 12 man for 4 hunters). it has a 18'x15' footprint, so we do/can hunt 4 out of it without any real crowding. weighs in at about 18 lbs with the stove & liner (it's an older model), so it's very air taxi friendly. With the stove fired up, it'll dry out wet raingear & everything else in a short amount of time.
    Gary

If someone is with me to share the load and the space, my North Face VE-24 (same as VE-25 but without the vestibule; VE-24 is no longer available.) Absolutely bombproof in all weather, four seasons of the year.

If I'm alone and not expecting really high wind or really heavy snow, my MSR Missing Link. Weighs 3 lbs., with a sewn-in floor, great big door, weathertight, and uses my trekking poles instead of having to carry separate poles.

If I wanted something lighter than the VE-24 for harsh conditions, I'd get a North Face Mountain 25 (two person, four season mountaineering, maybe the tent that Forestar refers to above?). EDIt: Just noticed that the otherwise estimable Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 tips the scales at 9 lbs., 1 oz. -- no weight savings to speak of compared to my VE-24.

Kifaru Tipi.....with a wood stove.....for moose hunting type camps.

Default Hilleberg Akto

This little bugger can take the wind and weather, does not seem to suffer the condensation as badly as some claim about other Hillebergs, and is light at under 3 lbs. I also like it's "vestibule" - plenty big enough to keep my boots and pack out of the weather or to cook in if it's nasty outside (though they recommend this -- for obvious safety reasons).

On the big end -- I have a massive, 150 lb plus wall tent that I have used for elk hunts in Oregon but have not even unrolled since coming to AK 5 years ago -- thinking about a Kifaru tipi instead.

I'm curious to hear what folks come up with in the 3-4 person, 3-4 season range -- need a good family tent that I can also use for multiple hunter walk ins (read -- not too heavy).

Thanks for starting this one Mike -- should prove interesting/informative!

Default Arctic Oven

Warm even in the cold Barrow weather, and roomy depending on size. Plus in November it is a great extra bunk room at deer camp in the U.P. of Michigan when I head back there.

Default The Tent I love!

I have a tan colored 12' x 17' wall tent made out of Realite material from Montana Tent and Canvas and the aluminum frame. It has no floor, 2 screened doors and 2 screened windows. When the cots, table and wood stove are set up life is good! It is our "Moose Hunting Camp". I brought a remote controlled LED lantern along last fall and we had a yard light. Don't worry guys. I have hunted in Alaska since 1965. Alot of that time was spent sleeping on the ground, under a tree or tarp and living out of a back pack. When I would wake up every thing was damp or wet. Times have changed and so have I.

Default Kelty Canyon Ridge 4

Kelty does not make it any more but I sure wish I could get my hands on a new one...Mine has seen it last days. Woe is me...

Kifaru tipi 12 man is my go to tent, I have a small 4 dogs stove for heat.18 lbs total.

Default sierra designs omega

I've used a 2 man Sierra Designs Omega 4 season for the last few years. No complaints. It is a bit tight with 2 guys, but it has a decent sized vestibule, a gear loft, and an internal guy system that really makes a difference in high winds.

Default Cabela's Guide tents

I have been using a Cabela's 6 man guide for a few years now and really like it. I do have a 3 man EMS that is great when its just you and a buddy.

Default Hilleberg

I purchased the Hilleberg Kaitum last year and love it. It is 4 season, 2 person tent with two door/two vestibule.

I'm looking at the Katium my self......looks handier than the Nallo 2Gt.....tad bit on the heavy side....what do you think?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast