Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a Compound Bow Need Honest Opinions

Default Purchasing a Compound Bow Need Honest Opinions

I am wanting to start Bow hunting a little. I am sure I will love it! I do not need the ultimate bow to end all others. I have been told that Mathews actually sells a model for the $300 range. Is it worth it to look into it or would my money be spent on another brand? From what I have gathered Mathews seems to be the top choice most of the time. What kind of Bow do you guys recommend. I will only use it on black bear and bou's. I would rather not spend more than $400. Are the bowtech's any good?
    Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum? if not please let me know where it moves to! lol

Really any bow you go with will be just fine. Most bows made these days are good bows, just some are better than others. Everyone that replies to this thread will likely give you a different answer on what they think is the best. But finding a bow for $300 bucks may be pretty tough, even a used bow. With all the added accessories that come along with a bow, the price shoots up. You have to figure in the rest, the sites, the arrows, a quiver if it doesn't have one, broadheads, stabilizer, release, etc.

I don't know of a mathews model that would be that cheap. The only thing I can think of is a Mathews Genesis and that is a youth beginner type bow if I'm correct. Bowtech is good too, they have a cheaper offshoot called Diamond bows. There are many other brands such as Hoyt, Bear, Martin, PSE, Reflex, etc. The list goes on.

If you are looking for a used bow, make sure it will fit your draw length first. A lot of bows these days don't have adjustable draw lengths and you have to buy a new set of cams (wheels) to make the bow fit you and those can run $80 or more. Also, most used bows are already set up with everything. The arrows may not be what you want, same with some of the other accessories. So buying new can save you from buying things twice and instead getting set up the way you want right from the get go.

My advice is to go to a shop and shoot a bunch of different bows and talk with a pro shop owner about what you want and they may have something that will fit the mold.

If your in the valley stop by screaming eagle archery. Wayne will set u up with all diffrent kinds, what feels right for you will work for u. This place will set u up if your serious!!!

a bare bow for 300, you wont get into it for 400. You've got sights, rests, releases (or tab), stabiliziers, quiver, arrows, and broadheads to buy. Just something to considering when setting your budget and the bow you pick out.

Maybe you are thinking of the Mission line of bows with is made by Mathews. Consider the bow the cheap part of the deal, by the time you add it all up, arrows, tips, sights, release, rest, etc plan on spending more. You might consider buying a used bow from someone who wants to upgrade because they have to have latest and greatest new model (i am guilty of that). try archerytalk.com craigslist.com or even the for sale forum here. Good luck and you might want to go to a shop and at least talk to them, most of the dealers here are great and very low pressure.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

.i have two mission bows in the house, 3 Martin, a bow tech, and a Darton.... all are great bows, that all put arrows down range, get to know your bow dealer have him explain brace height, and forgiveness for new shooters, many a package deal comes along. just traded one bow tech in for he new one at archers den.. the new one fully set up was 349.99... with a wide range of adjustment... you can get name brand at an affordable price.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Good advice? Service after the sale?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Really any bow you go with will be just fine. Most bows made these days are good bows, just some are better than others. Everyone that replies to this thread will likely give you a different answer on what they think is the best...My advice is to go to a shop and shoot a bunch of different bows and talk with a pro shop owner about what you want and they may have something that will fit the mold.
    This makes sense to me. Paul Asman/Archers Den helped me a lot with my bow after the year-end discounts put a bow in my stocking. For some, it's more about where you buy than what you buy. People who know a lot about archery gear or hunting or both, don't need much advice, but for the less experienced, less knowledgeable others, having a good relationship with a bowshop owner might be more important in the long run than the specific gear in your hands. I can see picking a bowshop as the decision that matters more than which bow for some folks.

Good luck.

maby look at mathews mission line they seem to be a good value.

the model they have at sportsmans is a bowtech all ready to go. It is around $350. Definately not the quality of the Mathews I am sure. Well I dont need a set up until sring for bear baiting. I would like to have something by April in order to get comfortable with it. I appreciate the above info and I will use that in my search over this winter. I would like a used higher quality one over a cheap new one I believe.

I agree with your assessment that a used higher quality bow is better than a newer cheaper one. I would highly caution getting a bow that is already set up as you mentioned. For that price, it sounds too good to be true. Make sure it's got what you need, proper draw length, adequate poundage (draw weight). Do the arrows fit the bow as far as proper arrow spine?

I've been shooting bows a long time and have found that it is better in the long run to spend a little more money and end up with something that is going to work good and last a long time. You don't need the best of the best but there are some products that are at the bottom that I'd steer clear from. I would really suggest you go to a reputable pro shop and talk with someone there first before you do anything. They may just have the perfect used bow for you.

Also, one more note. Look around on Craigslist and other places for used bow equipment such as rests, sights, releases. I have some sights that are just laying around cause I bought new ones. People have older stuff laying around that is perfectly good but they just wanted something newer and better. So check around and even ask on here if anyone has any sights or anything laying around they want to get rid of. You could end up with some great deals.

My wife and my uncle's wife both shoot the missions - go talk to Bill at Backcountry Archery down on Arctic - he will set you up. they are a very good bow for a good price. They shoot nicer than my old Outback and about as good as the new top of the line mathews.

I finished last years valley outdoor 3D with my wife's because my sight broke...I actually shot better with hers.......

You can get new bows ready to shoot in your price range at Sportsman's...I think Alpine makes some pretty economical packages...and they can set it up for you. Though you can get a higher quality bow for less money used, you need to be really careful. I've seen many dry fired bows with hairline cracks in the limbs (at the cam axles). Being new to the sport, I would suggest new bows, or used from an archery shop that can tell you it's good to go.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I bought one of the Bowtech Diamond packacges from sportsman's a few years ago for around $300. I've been shooting it on and off since then (and am still using it) and am very happy with it. I've never shot anything else though, so I can't compare it :/ I have replaced the quiver, sights, and rests though. But for starting out, when I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in something major (which I would like to do in the future), I thought it was a good purchase. .

thanks for the useful info gents!
    Well PSE has been in the game the longest of them all right? Seems like they might be a great option for me. I am away from home so I am just searching around looking for good deals at the moment. I am just looking into getting into Bow hunting. I dont need the best and baddest out there. So what do you think of this set up, all ready to go! or should I look at a higher end used Mathews?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...E-SPG-3-GOOGLE

Just so I can compare on my own I guess. What is a comparable bow from the other brands to the PSE Nova? Bowtech ? Mathews? Ect.?
    The Bowtech Admiral seems like a great choice, but they appear to be a bit more expensive.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Just so I can compare on my own I guess. What is a comparable bow from the other brands to the PSE Nova? Bowtech ? Mathews? Ect.?
    The Bowtech Admiral seems like a great choice, but they appear to be a bit more expensive.
    really you must still be single right? picking a bow is like picking a women... go out try as many as you can and keep trying until one owns you.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Don't buy anything on line. You need to shoot the bow first and look at it and make sure it's something you'll like. Every bow is not created equal. You really need to do yourself a favor and go shoot one and pick one out that way. PSE's Nova is pretty much at the bottom of PSE's line of bows. There are hundreds of different bows and models and what not out there. I challenge you to go shoot a top of the line bow and a bottom end bow and see the differences. I'm not saying you need to buy the best but you should be aware of the differences between cheap and more expensive equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Don't buy anything on line. You need to shoot the bow first and look at it and make sure it's something you'll like. Every bow is not created equal. You really need to do yourself a favor and go shoot one and pick one out that way. PSE's Nova is pretty much at the bottom of PSE's line of bows. There are hundreds of different bows and models and what not out there. I challenge you to go shoot a top of the line bow and a bottom end bow and see the differences. I'm not saying you need to buy the best but you should be aware of the differences between cheap and more expensive equipment.
    You guys are right! I get a lil excited up here on the slope at times and I kinda loose my mind. There is no feasible logic to purchasing a bow over the internet before I try some out and see what fits me best. I dont even know my proper draw length! I am guessing 29"? Anyways Thanks for opening my eyes. I might buy one online after I know the bow I want. until then I will just kill time researching.
    So what do most of you guys prefer, a single cam or dual? What is the benefits of the Dual? More adjust-ability? Anything else?
    If I plan on only using this bow on Bou's and Black Bears what is the min ft/sec I should consider? What is considered a long shot by a modern day bow? 25 yds?
    Thanks for opening my eyes!

I don't know much about dual cam bows. What I do know is that Solo cams are proven and have been much more popular with archers. I'm not 100% on this but I thought dual cam bows were more prone to cam syncronization (timing) issues. I'd go with a solo cam bow personally. Todays bows, as well as older bows too, need to be properly tuned. Everything needs to work together so that your arrow leaves your bow flying true and straight. If it's not properly tuned you'll get an arrow that fish tails and you lose accuracy, speed, and penetration.

Not knowing your draw length is just one more reason to get into a shop and get properly fitted to a bow. Also, feet/second is not a measure of how well you'll kill an animal. Kinetic energy is a better measure but, all aside, any bow set at 50+ lbs at a 29" draw (if you infact are a 29" draw) will kill a caribou or a black bear. But I'm sure you'd be more up around 65-70lbs. Some bows are easier to draw and hold than others. My dad had an old old bow made back in the early 90's I think and just at 65-70 lbs that thing was a bear to draw, my god! But my Mathews set at 66 lbs I can shoot all day and hardly get tired.

What kills animals is the effectiveness of the shooter and a sharp broadhead. Faster bows mean a flatter trajectory for longer shots. It makes the margin of error for guessing yardage smaller. Take any old bow that is properly tuned, set to legal draw weight, a sharp broadhead, and lots of practice, you'll be capable of taking any game you want to shoot.

Now as far as shot distances, that can turn into a messy topic. Everyone has different ideas of what's "ethical" and what's not. I think in the archery world anything over 60yds is pushing it, 60 is a long shot. You'll hear lots of guys that say they'll never shoot past 25-30 yards and chastize anyone who does. You'll hear guys bragging about shooting 100 yards, don't be one of those guys. So that's a tough question to answer. Basically the answer is whatever you feel comfortable with, cause ultimately you're the one that has to make the decision when the time comes. Every situation is different and you have to weigh the factors and come up with a decision about whether or not it's good shot or not. Wind, distance, awareness of the animal, shot angle, is there any brush in the way, etc. It's much better to let an animal walk than to take a risky shot and wound an animal.

My 2c, I started shooting bow last Oct.I bought a Mission Elimator and to date have shot it a little over 6000 arrows. I've had to put the little rubber dampners on twice and just did the string maybe 4-500 arrows ago. Love it. Then I bought a Switchback XT (mathews) used and it shoots great. Now the money-625.00 out the door W/ 12 gold tip arrows all set up shooting. The used XT 500.oo shooting (no arrows W/ it). I like shooting the XT better but the mission is my choise for hunting, smaller and lighter.
    Now , how much do you spend on a rifle? The bow is going to do the same work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast