Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does F&G get $, for fish management?

Default Where does F&G get $, for fish management?

I found where in 2005, AK license fees were increased. To fund the folowing:
    I found where they spent $76 million on fish hatcheries ($25Mil Fairbanks & $45mil Anch & $5.5 Mil in South East.
    http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...56&issue_id=27.

Is there a budget link to see how much $$ taken in from Sports fishing, Commercial Fishing & guide fishing?
    & Same for hunting.

It would be educational to everyone to see where ADFG get there revenue & how/where it's spent.

What is the percentage of ADFG revenue coming directly from each group?

I know (everyone know) what I pay for 2 hunt/fish licenses, 2 duck stamps, king tags, permit hunt drawings as this is listed in the ADFG reg books.

What do guides pay to the state in licenses & fees? Assistant guides? Is there publicized rule book for guides? Broken down for fresh water salmon, salt water salmon & halibut.

What do commercial fishermen pay to the state in licenses, permits & fees? Boat license requirements. Broken down to Salmon? Halibut? Crab? Cod? Trawlers? Etc.

percentage of catch each group takes?

Any state taxes levied on any/all/none of the groups?

This is probably somewhere in public Alaska State records, as this much $$$money would be tracked so well. I just cant seem to find it online.

This may stop most of the arguments we get into on many ADFG management programs & policies.

Basically who pays in the most, least etc & what percentage of the resource does each group use.

Any one else curious & have any ideas how to find the data?

Default Commercial permit cook inlet $75

So the State of Alaska gets $50 for a guide license (resident or non-resident) & $75 for a commercial license

$75 for set net or drift or seine

http://www.cfec.state.ak.us/Regs/201..._Fee_Table.pdf

Actually who pays the most is not the issue. The people of the United States pay a significant portion of ADF&G management and lots of them do not fish or hunt. What is important is how the monies are spent and the priorities for the limited funds.

Good point.
    Soon the people of the US may be paying less to Alaska.
    By the way, I am one of them (people of the United states)

office of management & budget for ADFG: sport fisheries budget
    Refenue:
    $17 mil federal money
    $13 mil licenses fees F&G
    $3 mll Ak general fund
    some others

http://gov.state.ak.us/omb/11_omb/bu...sh/comp464.pdf

mudbuddy, looks like you tracked down what you were looking for. Keep in mind that, as Nerka alluded, there are various federal matching funds that come to each state's F&G department. On the game side those are Pittman-Robertson funds from taxes on guns and ammo. On the fish side they are Dingell-Johnson funds from taxes on rods, reels, etc.

mudbuddy, that is just for sport fish division, what about commercial fisheries division? Subsistence division? I'm guessing those budgets are all general fund dollars with maybe some test fish revenues and grant money mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Actually who pays the most is not the issue. The people of the United States pay a significant portion of ADF&G management and lots of them do not fish or hunt. What is important is how the monies are spent and the priorities for the limited funds.
    Nerka: I am not disagreeing with you, but when you say "people of the United States pay a significant portion of ADF&G management and lots of them do not fish or hunt" what exactly are you referring to? What is the funding source for those folks that don't hunt and fish?

ClearCreek

Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    mudbuddy, that is just for sport fish division, what about commercial fisheries division? Subsistence division? I'm guessing those budgets are all general fund dollars with maybe some test fish revenues and grant money mixed in.
    Mostly Federal money to support commercial fishing Management, Admin & other cost , I think loans too.
    Salmon run enhancement (sports fish & federal $$) but commercial guys benefit from it too.
    Commercial guy don't pay much to State of AK, $75.00 for annual permit. Much Much Much more $$$ leaves the state than commercial fishing makes for the state. (don't get me wrong, lots of instate jobs resident & non-residents) No tax $$ goes to the state for commercial fishing.

Didn't find how much it coats to manage the subsistence fishery

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    mudbuddy, looks like you tracked down what you were looking for. Keep in mind that, as Nerka alluded, there are various federal matching funds that come to each state's F&G department. On the game side those are Pittman-Robertson funds from taxes on guns and ammo. On the fish side they are Dingell-Johnson funds from taxes on rods, reels, etc.

$17 million federal money (income tax & other taxes) , $17 million state money $13+ million license, fees & tags $3 million + Alaska General fund. (some other revenues in there but these are the biggest ones)

Makes me feel better that some of the federal taxes I pay comes back to Alaska for sports fishing,
    I feel like they "double dip" me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ClearCreek View Post
    Nerka: I am not disagreeing with you, but when you say "people of the United States pay a significant portion of ADF&G management and lots of them do not fish or hunt" what exactly are you referring to? What is the funding source for those folks that don't hunt and fish?

ClearCreek
    There are a number of examples. The late Ted Stevens brought millions in earmarks for sustainable fisheries management. These funds did not come from lic or tax on user equipment. Other funds go to Federal agencies like NOAA, NMFS, and the Coast Guard to help manage marine fisheries and some inland fisheries. There are other funds coming to Alaska but even the user funds are given out based on shoreline length for example. That means a sport fisherman in Washington may be paying for management in Alaska. It is very complicated where the funding sources come from. Here is another example. Around the nation are Fish Habitat Partnerships - these partnerships are getting federal dollars for habitat protection/projects. That money is not from user fees. Hope this helps answer the question.

Agreed. There is no single source of funding for fish and wildlife mgt and/or restoration. For example, subsistence management is primarily a Federally funded activity ever since it became a Federal responsibility on Federal lands, around 1992 or so. Fish habitat $$'s come almost exclusivily from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, although there are non-Federal matching funds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    It is very complicated where the funding sources come from. .
    Not complicated to me.
    From user fees & taxes.
    No free lunch, unless you don't pay taxes & get free licenses.
    Just because it's federal money, don't men I don't pay, along with other tax payers (most of us pay federal income & other hidden federal taxes.) (actually, now it's deficit spending, money the USA don't have)

Clercreek: Most of the $$ money is from our federal income taxes, brought to Alaska as earmarks, (pork barrel spending). Alaska has done well over the years, but this soon may be drying up. Any US fish & wildlife money is mostly our federal income tax money, which is in the red big time.

If it was so easy why did you ask in the first place mudbuddy? Just kidding you.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Clercreek: Most of the $$ money is from our federal income taxes, brought to Alaska as earmarks, (pork barrel spending). Alaska has done well over the years, but this soon may be drying up. Any US fish & wildlife money is mostly our federal income tax money, which is in the red big time.
    mudbuddy - I am not sure "most" of the money is federal income taxes. I would think a lot of the money for the sport fishing program is excise taxes on fishing tackle and other fishing related items (Dingell-Johnson and Wallop-Breaux programs) that is collected by the federal gov. and then returned to the states based on a formula that includes number of licenses sold, etc.

I was just curious,
    Everyone knows anything the government does is paid for by tax payers, (the middle class is the highest percent).
    Understanding where the money comes from (for AK fish management), how much from each user group pays in fees & taxes (fed & state) may help everyone understand who is footing the bill & get more involved in the process to keep the resource strong.

I am a bit of a skeptic as to the fairness of the way it is done now, the groups that make money from the resource are the groups paying the least to manage it. The state of Washington makes allot of $$$ from Alaska commercial fishing, mostly from taxes of the profit made by the fishermen to come to Alaska to fish & take the profit back to their state. Washington has a "sales tax" so a percentage every dollar spent from profit from Alaska goes to the state Washington . That is "the way it is, has been & will be" in the existing plan. But federal funding is beginning to drying up. To continue to have the monies to manage the fish resource effectively, some other groups that use the resource may need to chip in more $$.
    Oil is taxed now to run the state of AK, that will dry up. Why not commercial fishing? (lobbyist?) (If commercials catch 10 fish, why not give one to the state to help manage the very resource they are making money from.)

The time is coming that the permanent fund will dry up, federal funding will be reduced & the State of Alaska will have to foot the bill $$ to manage this & other resources. Discussing it now, getting the facts & developing a plan may prevent a serious shortfall for fair & effective management of a precious resource we all enjoy today.

I think ADF&G folks are doing a Great job.
    I'm just skeptical that the bureaucrats & politicians have Alaska's future & best interest in mind.

As for "easy" or "complicated" issues, well that is what we are paying our elected officials to do. Solve these complicated issues & represent, protect & fight for the majority of Alaskans.

I got some of this information from my senator C. Huggins.

The Division of Commercial Fisheries is funded almost entirely by State of Alaska General Funds.

Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    The Division of Commercial Fisheries is funded almost entirely by State of Alaska General Funds.
    Those General Funds include revenue from Commerical Fisheries Business Tax, Commercial Fisheries Resource Landing Tax, Commercial Fisheries Regional Seafood Development Tax, Commercial Fisheries Salmon Enhancement Tax, Commercial Dive Fishery Management Assessment Tax, and a State Seafood Marketing Tax.

You can review the Alaska Department of Revenue's 2009 report HERE and the Division of Commercial Fisheries Budget(s) HERE.

Good info.
    Lots to read.
    Thanks for the references & links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast