Thread: time to redo wood gunnels on HB soon

Default time to redo wood gunnels on HB soon

My gunnels are looking bad from rubbing straps and weather.I think someone on here suggested linseed oil, so I take it they just need to be sanded and then apply the oil.I should have gone with the vinyl trim HB. Also this is my 1st glass boat,I have some deep scratches on the bottom of this one.how bad should the bottom be before it should be re-done?I dont think they are actually through the gel coat though.I'm considering applying some sort of textured coating on the 3 keelss on the bottom for next year.

I picked up some Watco oil on a suggestion here, and at the dealer. I havent tried it yet though (this winters project). See my thread here "finally scored a new canoe", lots of other suggestions from folks with canoes.

I have picked up spar varnish for my ash gunnels as they are pretty worn.It doesn't match the original color ofcourse. Should I re-stain it 1st and just apply clear spar varnish over top?

thanks

Default refinishing Scott gunnels

I sanded mine (didn't sand off the entire finish, but roughed up the shiny finish but good), then re-stained all. I chose mini wax sedona red which looked great over the old dark mahogany stain.

Then lots of coats of spar varnish, with a steel wool rub between coats.

Make sure both your stain and spar varnish are oil based, or the varnish will not dry during this lifetime, but instead it'll just stay sticky.

On the thread in this canoe forum about my transom/lift work, you can clearly see in the final pictures my Scott gunnels refinished as I describe here.