Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blisters, dehydration, and full curl rams

Default blisters, dehydration, and full curl rams

I posted a picture of my packraft loaded down with a dall sheep in the rafting forum, and was promptly corrected for not posting a write up along with it .

So here's how my sheep season went:

Friday August 13th:

I picked up my buddy at 0200 and we headed down the road, it was exciting to finally be on our way to sheep country. I had made a couple of scouting trips earlier in the year and was looking forward to the hunt.

It took us an hour to get everything across the river, then we shouldered packs and headed up valley. We passed two other hunters on their way out, each with rams, the sight of which quickened our steps and seemed to lighten our packs.

We stopped to glass as we moved up the valley, spotting sheep here and there, but still too distant to determine if they were legal rams.

Finding a flat spot behind a lateral moraine, we set up camp for the night. My buddy was tired and decided to rest up for the next day, and I decided to climb the mountain behind camp to get on top of some sheep we had spotted. I climbed over the mountain, fighting through muscle cramps as I summitted, watching rock slides from this living mountain tumble down the chute to my left.

As I stared down the fingers of this mountain, trying to decide which one to take down in order to get on top of the rams I had spotted earlier, a small group of sheep suddenly appeared. There were two rams among them.

I worked my way down toward them, and after a long stare through the spotting scope, I didn't feel comfortable with the legality of the ram, and so I passed.

On my way down the other side of the mountain, I looked up...where I had recently been...and saw a nice ram. I dropped my pack and with every ounce of string cheese I had, hustled up the mountain after him. It didn't work out though, so I ended up on the other side of the mountain, this time without my pack, but that was alright, I would get it in the morning. I made my way back to camp in the dark, drank some water, and crashed for a few hours....

Saturday August 14th:

We awoke early and ate some breakfast, then worked our way up the drainage behind camp. We split up, my buddy went high, I stayed low, we agreed to meet at the pass.

Near the top I looked up to my left, and did a double take when I spotted a group of seven rams. I threw the binos on them and saw what was easily a couple nice rams in the bunch. They were in a perfect position too. I made a nice stalk around a small knoll, low crawled to the top and waited for them to stand up. I stared at them, each one of them, for nearly an hour. They would perk up as the wind shifted, and when it shifted back, they would go back about their business. Slowly they worked their way over the mound they were hanging out on, and I picked out the oldest ram of the bunch with nice, heavy bases and large, broomed horns. My breathing under control, I clicked off safe and applied slow steady pressure until the trigger broke.

I admired the beautiful animal as I walked up to him, I thought about feeding my family sheep meat this winter and staring at him on my wall, long after the blisters and aches are gone.

My buddy made his way up to me shortly thereafter, and I pointed out the group of rams on an outcropping above us. He made his way toward them, and about an hour later, a muffled shot echoed across the talous slope, and he had harvested his sheep...

Frickin awesome! I saw the photo of your sheep. Very heavy, nice looking ram!

Great ram!

I recognize the area...never seen it from that side of the river. Very cool to use the Alpaca to get across. Congrats on a great hunt!
    Proud to be an American!

Beauty of a sheep! What are the measurements?? Congrats!

Great looking ram. Looks real heavy.

Did you get your pack back?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

After my buddy harvested his ram, I took a load of meat back to camp, went around the mountain a little further and retrieved my pack from where I'd left it the night before. I headed back up the valley, dropped off a pack for my buddy, and loaded up the rest of the ram. I made it back to camp around 8 pm. For dinner I had ramen noodles and a pasta mountain house with smoked salmon, and lots of water. I laid there on the soft tundra grinding on my dinner, watching a wolf wander the side of the mountain above us. I fixed a cup of coffee for my buddy when I saw him in the distance, when he arrived, we formulated a plan for the next day to get back down the mountain...

Congrats Bobblehead on a nice story, good pics, and nice rams!
    I am curious if anyway knows what the est sheep population is for AK? Just curious?
    Also, what kind/caliber of sheep rifles were you two toting????
    Thanks
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Sunday August 15th:

We awoke at 0400, loaded our packs and climbed up onto the moraine to make our way down the valley. As I have done with most long pack outs, we split the trip up into legs. Rather than pack a load the entire 10 miles or so, and then head back empty for the other load, I'll go 2 miles, stop, unload the pack, and head back the other load(s). Doing so does a couple of things, it gives your body more frequent breaks and recovery opportunities. It makes it easier to recover because you don't spend such extended periods of time under a load, and mentally it seems easier.

So we worked our way down the valley for 18 hours, finishing up around 0100. Then, we hopped in our rafts and into the river for the last leg of the journey, making it back to the truck, where dry clothes and a cold soda awaited.

I've often participated in the debate between spotting scopes and binos or both. I'm glad I had both on this hunt. I took too much food, I know that sounds strange, but it was true. Water purification was huge for us, and I'm glad we had iodine tablets and a pump, depending on the situation. Speaking of food however, I will take meal replacement shakes next time. They contain lots of calories and are quick and easy.

Sunblock and chapstick.

Citric acid powder.

Jolly Ranchers.

Just a couple of must have items I thought I would mention...

All in all, it was a fantastic hunt. We only had 3 days off from work and we got it done with never quit determination. Fight through the blisters, the cramps, the joint pains, the disappointments, the wind, rain, and hot sun. Never quit.

What area was this at?

Very Good!

Carry on.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

good job man....that looks like a heck of a ram!!! country looks a little familiar too
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

bobblehead,
    Way to go! You guys worked hard and were rewarded. What rifles and calibers/bullets did you guys use?
    Thanks.

Nice job, congratulations. That's a fine looking ram! Also, double thanks for the scenery pictures. Sure beats my view right now...

Hoosier, Sharks,

Thanks for the help this spring fellas.

--

I usually hunt exclusively with a shortened Win M70 in 375 H&H, but it's a pretty heavy rifle, so this year I took an old Model 70 I have in 300 Wby. I was using 180 grain Nosler Partitions. My buddy used a 300WSm with 150 grain bullets. At the range I took my ram, I could've used my 30-30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast