Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Story

Default Hunt Story

Well I usually don't share my stories out of laziness but thought is is time for me to contribute something.

I was a lucky winner for the 20A caribou hunt this year. My wife and I started out on the ATVs the morning before season opened and went in on one hell of a bumpy creek bottom for 15 miles. after spotting all day and riding up without seeing a thing we decided in the morning we were going to hike in for sheep and maybe see a caribou on the way. We hiked in over the first hills and start spotting sheep but all family groups no rams. after relaxing and spotting for about 30 minutes we find what looks to be a lone sheep way the hell and gone into the mountains. So far away I can barley tell it is a ram and certainly can't tell if it is a legal one. Convincing my wife to hike in after an animal we can't tell is legal that is so far away you can't see it with the naked eye through really crappy terrain was not easy but I did. so we head up about 2 miles and stopped to get a look...still can't tell if it is legal. ten minutes go by and here comes 2 nice bulls over a hill about 2 miles parallel from us (meaning no more up). Never seen the wife so excited I don't know if it was because caribou is her favorite game meat (it is) or because she now did not need to climb that freaking mountain. Anyways the hunt was on. It took about 45 minutes to get 600 hundred yards out. The wind was just circling I hate that! I was so nervous trying to pick my last approach that I finally just said forget it lets go. The wind apparently hates me as well. I just new they were going to wind us. well I got to 200 hundred yards low crawling and feeling like I just ran a marathon. I laid out and put one in the scope.....memorys of missing my beautiful brown bear on afognak 2 years ago at 75 yards!!!!!! came to mind and pissed me off for the 1000th time. so I decided to get to 150 yards. I had a nice little shelf to squat and run down toward them so I shuffled over. Both bou at the same time lifted up trying to find where the smell was coming from. I chambered a round and they immediately started jogging...well jogged 3 steps at least. I put one through the lower front shoulders and it was down before my eye left the scope. The most rewarding hunt I have done because it was the first with my wife! without a doubt the best hunting partner I have ever been in the field with and I have good partners. She did enjoy herself and loved the challenge. after we were back in the truck her comment was "I feel like I accomplished something and pushed myself beyond my comfort level" all I could think was YESSSSSS! I think she will go back out next year! sorry long winded. 120 lbs of meat 338 win mag
    Cheers
    Jason

Very cool Jason - thanks for posting this up.

Pictures, man, pictures! Congratulations to you and your wife.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yup thats a rough trail, been there many a time. it sure is rewarding to make those climbs back up those draws and watch all those ewes and lambs it is one of my favorite places to go wander and watch. two years ago my daughter actually had lambs feeding right down to with in 30 or so yards while we ate. glad your missus was along that makes for some special memories....... wheres the pics?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Longwinded? Most Definitely Not,

that was a perfect read and great job including your wifes reaction in the end and throughout, that's some reality and brings us right into the whole picture with you guys.

Great Job, please keep posting stories, and yeah, pics if you got 'em

Thanks, and Congrats on the Smooth kill, quick drop. That should be some FINE tablefare,
    Bet your girl is one Happy Wife
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Here it is. Can't figure out how to add more than one pic at a time from the iPhone but will post a couple more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love it. Thanks for sharing the pics. That is absolutely great that your wife was along and enjoyed it. My wife is my favorite hunting partner. You are now among a very lucky group of men.

After a heavy pack out and still smiling.yes she did have proper clothes on under the beer hoody.

Last pic. Every hunting partner I have complains and complains about mountain house. I looked over and see the wife smiling eating a hot mountain house! I just could not believe that she's the first to go out with me that let me enjoy my meal in peace! LOL. She has a culinary arts degree and manages one of the best restaurants in anchorage. Had to take this one for grandpa who won't let me plan the hunts no more because of them.
    Thanks for the congrats

Man, great stuff.

The hunt stories this year are killer. Great going JNA...great partner, too.
    Great looking bull bou!
    Proud to be an American!

Excellent Photos, That first, is a "frame it for the wall," shot, well they all are, Cool Girl you got there,

You guys are gonna have lots of fun hunting together I think,

Kudos for getting her out there with ya and

to herself for "Really Accomplishing something of significance" That's really true !!
    "Best hunting partner he's ever been in the field with..." Well Done
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great story,
    I too like it, when I dont have to climb the Mountain

NICE hide on that guy, Parkee perfect.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nice story Jason and a beautiful pic of you with you bou! Congrats!
    Oh, and when you were complimenting your "new hunting partner", you forgot to mention she was so darn pretty!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My best hunt was with my wife as well, she too likes mountains house. Congrats on you success

If your curious how big that sheep was just shoot me directions to the trail and rough coordinates and I will see what I can do about getting a closer look and maybe getting some pics for you!!

Congrats on a great hunt!! Just wait till she starts blasting them!! Lately me and my guy friends barely need to take our rifles into the field the women are getting it done and looking better doing it!!

Wow, my wife is gonna go up the Steese with me this year, I hope it goes that well. Of course when people walk into my house though, they usually say, "Wow, those are some nice animals, looking at me.......I then have to tell them that only one of the Black bears and all of the "spike" antlers are mine. The 2 marten, 2 Lynx, 3 foxes, other blackie, and 36 inch rack are all my wifes. I can't help but smile....

Great story and once again nice bou I love the chocolate fur the have in the early season.

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska View Post
    Here it is. Can't figure out how to add more than one pic at a time from the iPhone but will post a couple more
    That's a great photograph right there!

Congratulations to the two of you!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Nice bou, good eating. That woman looks awfully young.............as a matter of fact...........so do you! Haha.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

jnalaska,
    Thanks for posting this - fine story, photos and a great life experience for you and your wife.
    Took some grit to succeed on your trip. Your flexibility paid off in a big way.
    Congratulations to both of you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast