Thread: 15C Tustumena Moose Hunt

Default 15C Tustumena Moose Hunt

Anyone ever try hunting off of Tustumena Lake? If I am reading the regs right the entire south shore is open in unit 15C. I have never even been on the lake, and I know the winds can rip through there like crazy.

Our plan is to put in the boat, 18' alumaweld semi V, and head all the way to the east end. Hunt that end mostly on the hillsides leading up to harding icefield or some of the flatter areas at the base of the mountains there.

Just looking for some advice or horror stories, whichever you can muster .

Thanks.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

I have hunted the north side permit area twice on horseback.Heed the lake warnings at the launch ramp,the water peeks up steep and fast with the winds from the glacier.Have talked to people who have hunted the south side with some success. Hard hunt with all the blow down and over growth.Good luck ,lets us know how you did...

We hunted that a few years back with no success. Expect to see a full moose camp at all the camp sites on the weekend. We saw ducks and brown bears.

[QUOTE=tyrex13;790085]. Expect to see a full moose camp at all the camp sites on the weekend. QUOTE]

Thats for sure. There are enough people who hunt that area that any halfway decent camping spot will be taken up in the campground as well as on the lake shore.
    Me and my dad have tried several times to acccess the woods on the south shore from many different spots and we always turned around.
    Even some areas that appear to have trails going up quickly petered out after 200 yds or so. With all the beetle kill that has blowndown on that side as well as the waist high and taller grasses walking in this area is HORRIBLE!
    Last time we went it seemed like every 10-15 minutes we passed or got passed by another boat.
    A friend of mine knows a fellow who got one on the lake shore a few years ago but other than that I havewnt heard of anyone having any success there on moose.
    I talked to one fellow at work who said he tried 2 or 3 years ago to get on a mosse someone had spotted from an airplane ( I don't condone this)and even with GPS coordinates he couldn't make it in the 1/2 mile from the lake shore he needed to hike to get to this moose.
    SO long story short I would consider someplace else first but that south side area is open and you just never know.
    Good Luck!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just wanted to add that the area you talked about on the east side is also hunted VERY heavily. I know one old gentleman who used to guide on Tustumena a lot before he retired and him and his buddies do hunt that area every year. Last year there were some fairly large boats (for Tustumena) anchored up in that area as well. Walking is not as bad as the south shore but like I said I would expect to see people camping/hunting that area all throughout moose season weekends and midweek.
    Good Luck!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"