Thread: Please wear those PFDs

Default Please wear those PFDs

Every year we lose a few folks to the cold rivers and lakes of Alaska. This past weekend, I spent 2 days standing at the mouth of Willow Creek watching boaters and rafters go by all day and evening long. I was amazed to notice how many folks actually motored/drifted past without any Personal Floatation Device (PFD) worn....dogs included. The boaters may have at least had them in the boat (couldnt tell) but at least about 70% had them on. They have to be worn to work, right? The rafters are what got me. Maybe 10% or less had them on; the rest flat out had none! Even the best swimmers could have some trouble with sweepers, cold, silt, debris, darkness, etc.. Come on peeps, slip those PFDs on and make sure everyone comes home at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Every year we lose a few folks to the cold rivers and lakes of Alaska. This past weekend, I spent 2 days standing at the mouth of Willow Creek watching boaters and rafters go by all day and evening long. I was amazed to notice how many folks actually motored/drifted past without any Personal Floatation Device (PFD) worn....dogs included. The boaters may have at least had them in the boat (couldnt tell) but at least about 70% had them on. They have to be worn to work, right? The rafters are what got me. Maybe 10% or less had them on; the rest flat out had none! Even the best swimmers could have some trouble with sweepers, cold, silt, debris, darkness, etc.. Come on peeps, slip those PFDs on and make sure everyone comes home at the end of the day.
    That edit didnt work. Boaters:70% wearing PFDs Rafters 10% wearing PFDs

I echo your post.
    Read the flyfishing thread "Scary Moment" http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...cary-moment... for my story...I may sound like a broken record, but who knows how my family's rafting incident would've played out had no one had their life jackets on. I have always been big on wearing them, but now I'm even more certain.

Not worth the risk you put on yourself to not wear them...
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Remember also that silted water is much heavier than clear water, so if you're wearing ordinary cloth you will gain some serious weight by falling into a glacial river like the Copper. Most of us consider ourselves good swimmers, but we don't generally practice in muddy water with our clothes on.