Thread: How to Lower group when Peep Bottoms on Reciever?

Default How to Lower group when Peep Bottoms on Reciever?

I have a Redfield peep and It is bottomed out on reciever and still hitting at least 4 inches High at 100? Do I get a higher or Lower front Blade? Been shooting scopes so long this is a bit rusty for me. Of course could go with 6 O'clock hold but habit is holding dead on.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You would need a taller front sight to bring the groups down

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You would need a taller front sight to bring the groups down
    What he said.

With the same rear sight setting: a lower front will raise POI and a higher front will lower POI.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the help, Ill start trolling Midway catalog now.. thanks again Jeff

if you dont mind my asking what rifle do you have that on? I am looking for some peep's for my TC Encore.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OR, to put it another way, "When adjusting Iron sights, move the REAR sight in the direction you want the bullet to go, and the FRONT sight in the opposite direction.

You can remember it that way.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The formula for figuring out how much taller your sight has to be is: Sight radius x error on target (how high or low is it shooting), Divided by the distance to target. All measurements in inches. So a sight radius of 18" times 6" high, or low, divided by 1800" (50 yards) = .06" The sight should be that much taller or shorter to correct the point of impact. I usually go 10% beyond the math result to give a little "fudge factor", that way your rear sight isn't still bottomed out.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The formula for figuring out how much taller your sight has to be is: Sight radius x error on target (how high or low is it shooting), Divided by the distance to target. All measurements in inches. So a sight radius of 18" times 6" high, or low, divided by 1800" (50 yards) = .06" The sight should be that much taller or shorter to correct the point of impact. I usually go 10% beyond the math result to give a little "fudge factor", that way your rear sight isn't still bottomed out.
    thats some good info to know. thanks.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

This is on a 03 Springfield and because it is bottomed out the bolt release switch is jammed up. so to raise it and clear the part it is sighted in dead on at 800 yards..lol There in lies my quandry. The front sight is the banded style with a retaining pin, this is not the standard dovetail as in most williams. Not eve sure I am going to fix this with a taller bead.

JEFFSTER, Have your local knowledgeable gunsmith put it in a mill and cut a 3/8" dovetail in your front sight ramp for the common williams style front beads. Or remove the band and drill and tap for a williams or other ramp. Both options should be pretty inexpensive.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."