Thread: Goat hunt vs. Moose hunt

Default Goat hunt vs. Moose hunt

I know this is like apples and oranges, but I have some well deserved time off coming from Thurs - Sun and I'm trying to decide if I should use that time to go on my goat draw hunt near Seward or go up to unit 13 for a moose hunt.

The weather is suppose to be good in Seward begiining Weds afternoon for a couple days, so I'm wondering if I should take advantage of clear mountain tops. However, goat hides may not be great at this time, but I tend to think they may be okay because of the cool summer. If I'm not successful, I could chalk it up to a good scouting trip for a later hunt.

On the other hand, I could go up to Unit 13 to a spot I have and just sit and wait for a legal bull to hopefully show itself. I went up Saturday night and camped a night, and saw 20 moose. Including a group of six together, with atleast a couple bulls-- I know there has to be a legal one in there, if it hasn't been harvested yet.

I'm hunting alone, so either option means a lot of work, but that's nothing new. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I know this is like apples and oranges, but I have some well deserved time off coming from Thurs - Sun and I'm trying to decide if I should use that time to go on my goat draw hunt near Seward or go up to unit 13 for a moose hunt.

The weather is suppose to be good in Seward begiining Weds afternoon for a couple days, so I'm wondering if I should take advantage of clear mountain tops. However, goat hides may not be great at this time, but I tend to think they may be okay because of the cool summer. If I'm not successful, I could chalk it up to a good scouting trip for a later hunt.

On the other hand, I could go up to Unit 13 to a spot I have and just sit and wait for a legal bull to hopefully show itself. I went up Saturday night and camped a night, and saw 20 moose. Including a group of six together, with atleast a couple bulls-- I know there has to be a legal one in there, if it hasn't been harvested yet.

I'm hunting alone, so either option means a lot of work, but that's nothing new. What would you do?
    Being as I just started hunting goats last year and moose my whole life the newness of goats hasn't worn off yet so I'd be all over that goat tag. For me atleast moose hunts are more layed back cause they generally involve more plush camps and more glassing and less hiking.

But I really prefer to be in the mountains backpacking. I backpack all summer even though I have a couple wheelers sitting in my yard they really only see action on moose hunts so you get where I am coming from. So I would choose goat hunt over moose everytime, unless my freezer were empty and the season was running out then I'd opt for filling the freezer. Just my take. Really its up to you obviously in what you prefer. I am sure you will have a great time regardless of what you choose. Good luck in whichever endeavor you choose.

For me it would be moose or sheep and you didn't list moose. There is usually plenty of late season for goats after everything else is pretty much all buttoned up for the year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if i was you i would go goat hunting, especially if there is any chance i might see you moose hunting....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    if i was you i would go goat hunting, especially if there is any chance i might see you moose hunting....
    LOL, no dog in the hunt for me this year!! I love the angle though

Good call Vince. Although, now I'm inclined to Moose hunt, just to get on your nerves

I really wish I was cursed with your dilemma.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Good call Vince. Although, now I'm inclined to Moose hunt, just to get on your nerves
    LOL i already have 5 moose hunts and a caribou hunt to finish planning.... unit 13 is off the radar for me this year... but if you need help let me know... i have more then a little time in those hills.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I could use some assistance..lol ...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I'm leaning towards the moose hunt at this point. I really would like to convince someone to go goat hunting with me, rather than going by myself at this point. (My wife feels the same way) I think spending a few daysin Moose country, glassing, eating blue berries, and doing a little walking might be the best choice. I just hate to waste a couple of good weather days, not chasing goats.

If your coming up this way let me know...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.