Thread: Halibut for the uninformed

Default Halibut for the uninformed

After finishing up a moose hunt out of Fairbanks, my buddy and I plan to rent a car and drive south, camping and fishing some on the way. I have always wanted to catch a halibut and was wondering if the fishing will still be good and what area / charter fleet would be good to talk to. Is this a good half day option or is a full day better? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

May be tough to find a charter in Seward due to the salmon derby. If I were you, I'd head to Homer and call Mutley.

Halibut fishing has been consistent here, when we can get folks "out there". The weather has kept charters, and prudent private boat skippers, in the harbor the past couple of days. The weather is looking better after tomorrow (Weds.) and into the weekend. It better be: I'm booked solid Thursday through next Monday, and I think Coho Dave (The Muttleycrew capt.) is also, but give him a call (907-444-3508)...

Halibut catches have been on the small side lately. I'm posting this week's AKDF&G report below. However, if you can get 20 miles out or more you will be able to catch a bunch and keep the larger sized fish through the 4-5 hours you'll be fishing "out there"...

Best of luck...jim

"Halibut
    Halibut fishing is poor in Kachemak Bay but fair to good if you travel to central or southern Cook Inlet from Homer, or fish out of Anchor Point and Deep Creek. Most anglers have been catching their bag limits in Cook Inlet. Halibut landed over the past week averaged slightly less than 17.5 pounds.
    Extreme tides will make fishing a challenge during tidal exchanges so fish the low and high slack.
    Herring is the most popular bait, but octopus, squid, salmon heads, and jigs work well."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I'm booked solid Thursday through next Monday, and I think Coho Dave (The Muttleycrew capt.) is also, but give him a call (907-444-3508)...

Halibut catches have been on the small side lately. I'm posting this week's AKDF&G report below. However, if you can get 20 miles out or more you will be able to catch a bunch and keep the larger sized fish through the 4-5 hours you'll be fishing "out there"...
    Jim thinks "halibut catches have been on the small side lately" because he just shows up at the "hot spots" after I get there and I've already caught all the BIG ones!!! LOL! (Just joking!)

Yeah, I'm booked solid for the next 5 days, too. But poke around because there are always good charter captains around that have a day off here and there. If you're planning on coming to Homer don't hesitate to ask for guidance on who to try. You won't get any lack of replies here if you just ask.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Charterboat Operator

though you haven't specified a date, and I dont think the moose season in Fbx. is open yet, i do have room for 2 to fish on Friday the 20th.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    After finishing up a moose hunt out of Fairbanks, my buddy and I plan to rent a car and drive south, camping and fishing some on the way. I have always wanted to catch a halibut and was wondering if the fishing will still be good and what area / charter fleet would be good to talk to. Is this a good half day option or is a full day better? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Yeah, what dates are you talking about there?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com