Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brow tines.

Default Brow tines.

What say you; 2, 3 or 4 brow tines.brow tines.JPG

Good post RC23 - I would call it 3 but I could see it being a 4 .
    Will be a fun one to see who is in the know! Would be a tough one to call if it were in the bush or at a distance and moving....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Very cool! Realistically, I would say 4.

Personally, I'd be inclined to say zero on the browtines. Interesting rack for sure...Looks like a nice one.

edit to add: when I say zero, I mean if I saw that bull in the field and wasnt sure about 50", I'd have to swallow some bile and pass on it...but it looks way plenty big enough....

Very nice indeed.
    I would say 4 .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Here is another view of it. Almost looks like only 2 from this view.8-15-2010 (Medium).jpg

Based on this side of the antlers (I am assuming there was a reason to not include the other side for this discussion), I would say zero. According to the regs, a brow tine extends from the brow palm which is separated from the main palm by a wide bay. Since there is no wide bay, I am inclined to say that there is no brow palm, thus no brow tines. Check pg. 33 of the regs for a description (http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...fs/mooseid.pdf).

I definitely would not base the legality of this guy on a count of tines unless the other side was a different layout.

Based on the downward view in the pic in post #1, I still say 4 as there appears to be a division or deeper indentation between the brow palm and the main palm. There's no way I could have made that call on the hoof however. No matter what, that's a darn nice critter, how wide is the rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Based on the downward view in the pic in post #1, I still say 4 as there appears to be a division or deeper indentation between the brow palm and the main palm. There's no way I could have made that call on the hoof however. No matter what, that's a darn nice critter, how wide is the rack?
    OK lets have some guess's on the spread as well. I will post width later today.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would say zero. According to the regs, a brow tine extends from the brow palm which is separated from the main palm by a wide bay. Since there is no wide bay, I am inclined to say that there is no brow palm, thus no brow tines. Check pg. 33 of the regs for a description (http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...fs/mooseid.pdf).
    I totally agree there is no wide bay to differentiate the main palm from the brow palm, but add this from the regs.

Brow tines emerge from the brow palm or from the near base of the antler and typically project forward.

Based on that I would say this is a 3x3 brow tine bull. It is obviously good on one side, and he looks to be over 50" my guess is 53"-56". I have been in this predicament a few times where one side was 2 and the other was questionable. I have always passed unless the bull is over 50". One thing that scares me about a bull like this is how will the warden see it? I have been checked by some who obviously know less about the regs than others.

At any rate congratulations on a great bull! This will be a good educational thread. +1 to ya for the moose and the thread.

My guess is 55.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    What say you; 2, 3 or 4 brow tines.brow tines.JPG
    i will call it 3... if you draw a line out the center line of the main beam ( there is a blood line or something along it..) i had a trooper show me that in cases like this one... they count below the center of the beam... it is easier to see on a hard antler then the ones in velvet... but it appears your #4 is above that line...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I saw one killed very similar to this off the Denali Hwy a couple years ago. I was there when the tropper looked at it said he considered it no brow tines but it measured 50 1/4". By the pictures this one its much the same but bigger. I am guessing it at least 55". Anyway, good moose and congrats!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

OK lets have some guess's on the spread as well. I will post width later today.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hmmm, one of the Unit 13 new season opening-day bulls? Looks like a 3x3 to me as far as brow tines on each side. And I'd put the width at 49-51 inches. Personally wouldn't shoot this bull in a 50"/4BT only area, but if it's a 3 BT area it isn't hard to clearly make out the 3 brow tines on the right side.

Here is another view of it. Almost looks like only 2 from this view.8-15-2010 (Medium).jpg
    Based on that view, I would say 3 per side. But from the first picture, really tough to tell. Interesting thread - and awesome bull! Well done. I'll guess him 54" wide.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i will call it 3... if you draw a line out the center line of the main beam ( there is a blood line or something along it..) i had a trooper show me that in cases like this one... they count below the center of the beam... it is easier to see on a hard antler then the ones in velvet... but it appears your #4 is above that line...
    The problem is that the "line out the center line of the main beam" method MAY be what some troopers use, it is not written anywhere legal, thus is not something you could use to defend yourself if called on it by the guy who doesn't use that method.

It's like if you were caught speeding, doing 59 in a 55. Although many officers would say they wouldn't cite someone for only 4 over, you wouldn't be able to use that reasoning to get out of the ticket from the one who does.

I will go with 59"

I'd say 3 as well as they are to the front, 4th one is to side. 56"er.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I was thinking 56-58", but hard to tell with that wierd right antler...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast