Thread: Another meat shipping question

Default Another meat shipping question

A buddy and I will be doing a moose hunt out of Fairbanks in a few weeks and I am having a really hard time with the logistics of shipping meat back to North Carolina. Alaska Air doesn't have a hub near me, so they would have to hand the frozen meat off to American in Chicago. From there it gets a little hazy. All told it could easily take three days for the meat to get here and there is no guarantee at all that the conatiners will be placed in refrigeration during layovers (no freezers period). Now I could process it myself when I get back to town, but I'd have to find a place to cut on it and to get a good freeze on it before sending it Fedex (they do "guarantee" quicker turnaround). This would also take away from time I could spend exploring and fishing. Anybody got any ideas?

You can take it with you as "checked baggage".
    Yes it will cost a bunch, but still not cost as much as the hunt itself probably will.
    Gary

That seems to be the only viable solution is to go fed-ex next day air or you run the risk of spoiling the meat unless you package it with dry ice for the plane trip but you have to check with the airlines and see if they allow dry ice because some do not. If so you can get dry ice from Safeway in Fairbanks and that should keep it cool for a few days either way you will need to spend a pretty penny but i am sure you are already aware of that.

Yep, that is what I keep coming back to. Aside from the obvious issues, if I were to check it as excess baggage, I would have to store the meat somewhere for 8 days before flying home, so I'd prefer Fedex, but either way I have to dedicate at least a couple of days cutting and packaging because no processor can turn it around for me in a week at that time of year. I always do my own processing but I'd really like to do something else with my time in AK, in case I never get back up there.

Post up a thread and offer up a little meat im sure someone has an extra freezer you can store it in until you're ready to go home.

Indian Valley Meats will ship your food to you after they process it, and their shipping fees are better than any you could get on your own, since they have a big discount with Fedex. My brother just went through this with a caribou he tagged on the North Slope last week. He lives in western NY. They quoted him about $4.00/lb. for the shipping, and it will go next-day air right to his door. If you're up in Fairbanks, I would ask if any of the processors up there offer similar service. (Do your homework on the processor. Several threads on this forum will reveal that not all processors are created equal...) If you can't find anything in Fairbanks, consider coming down to the Big City here and taking it to Indian Valley. I've always been impressed with their stuff. You just bring them the meat unprocessed, and you will get it back at your doorstep a few weeks later, all nicely processed and ready to either throw on the grill or in the deep freeze. That's my advice.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

As a follow-up - there is a lot of fishing and site-seeing to enjoy between Fairbanks and Anchorage, so it would not be a wasted trip for an out-of-stater by any stretch. And the hassle you avoid and peace-of-mind you enjoy by having someone else take care of the processing and shipping logistics far outweigh the price of the processing, especially when you look at the percentage of total cost of the hunt.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Thanks Greg, the plan actually was to fish and camp our way down towards Anchorage, so Indian Valley may be just the ticket I'll get in touch with them.

Sounds Like Indian Valley is a good choice. If they don't work out for some reason, I use C and J Tender Meat Co. in Anchorage every year to process, vacuum seal, freeze and ship my meat to my door in Indiana. I can't say enough about them. Cheap and very professional.

They're on Intl. Airport Road and the number is 907-562-2838, if you're interested.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com