Thread: Has this happened to anyone else?

Default Has this happened to anyone else?

I was up around Peter's Creek area, on the border between 14A and 14B this past weekend archery moose hunting. I was glassing and spotted a legal bull and began my stalk. As I got within 200 yds or so, I noticed a float plane nearby headed my way, and wouldn't you know it, the plane flew straight over head just above tree top level and spooked the bull. I didn't see him for the next two days I was up there. Frustrating!!!

Anyone that spends any time hunting unit 14 will have this happen to them. At least it sounds like your pilot was headed somewhere. What really sucks is when you get circling the moose you are trying to stalk. I had one last year that I was pretty sure set up for an approach to land right on the dang things antlers.

You were in a hotspot for air traffic circling. Fun atv/campin area tho.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It happens. If he was that low I doubt he knew the moose or you were even there. I had 8 Super Cubs fly over me on Friday, all headed north. I just happen to hunt an area with lots of airplane activity and it doesn't even faze the moose when they fly over.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

probably 10 years ago on haul road I was within 15 yards of a 60+ " bull it was in alders and coming to call. 2 more steps and would it have been in the clear broadside. A Beaver took off from grayling lake and flew straight over top of us.( no way he could have seen either of us in the timber) bull, cow and calf all spooked and i could not locate them, or call him back in. the mile long pack to road would have really been alot of work anyway. closest i have ever been to getting a really big bull.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER