Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect and Fast Mt. Goat Hunt

Default Perfect and Fast Mt. Goat Hunt

My friend Craig and I, CtP by his board name, went out on a goat hunt last weekend. He'd been trying a few times in various location and in some really rough conditions with no success to date. So I felt honored to assist and help Craig in his quest for a Billy goat. Keeping in mind his wife is due with his first baby, I found a good location with cell phone service. I also agreed to have him home very quickly. So with no pressure, the hunt was on. We loaded light, single rifle, no rain gear, minimal food, and started rocketing up some mountains. The first night found us glassing deer. I told Craig that if he started shooting deer the goat hunt was off and we'd be on a deer hunt, end of story. We'll any shooter bucks stayed hidden for the night and we fell asleep. At 3:30 am I woke up Craig and threw him an extra strength 5 hr energy and we got climbing up the hill in the dark. We quickly found eyes glowing at us, deer. On we went after a little mouth vocalization and discussion on deer calling. We made good time up the ridge, still kinda deer hunting. We passed on one small buck because we had found the goats and knew there were at least 4 billies in the large group we had located. We traversed a long ridgeline and descended to where we saw the goats disappear to. We saw a single nanny and watched her wander into a cliffy vegetated area. Upon further inspection it was filled with goats and we enjoyed three hours of sunbathing and National Geographic style goat watching. They are cool critters and just watching em scurry in their element is fun. This is where Craig showed his metal. He had a few shot opportunities on a young Billie but passed because the recovery would have been death defying and the distance questionably far. So we decided to go uphill and inspect a known bedding area on a small snow field. On the top, I looked down and saw two goats emerge on a flat grassy spot. I pulled out the Swaro again and quickly identified a young Billy. We shifted gears, scrambled down the rocks and slope and worked at locating these goats at a much closer range. I stayed high and Craig, the shooter, stayed low. I worked at spotting and he did the stalking. Well the distance to the known sighting quickly diminished and we had one of those "they are right here, right now moments"! I worked the right of the hill and he the left. I was perched on a rocky ledge and the brush ahead of me started going crazy. The goats were right there! Craig wasn't! I slide off and located him, scuttled him to a likely shooting posistion and all of a sudden goats were everywhere. I had my binos up, Nanny, Nanny, kid, kid, Nanny, Billy! Craig was very patient in this situation and I could tell he was military trained. I identified our target at a close 75 yrd range, confirmed with shooter, and Craig put the most perfect shot on that Billy at just the right moment. It was DRT in a nice flat spot without a single roll. I was so happy for Craig. It's his first big game animal and he handled it like a pro. We scaled a few cliffs for the recovery. A goat hunt just isn't complete with out a wild recovery. The goat was field prepared to fine standards and fully recovered. My daughter enjoyed the ribs last night. I'm just gonna post some photos as they tell the rest. We hauled it out the rest of that day and the next morning. Hard labor for a majestic mountain animal.

For those interested I'm including a well dissected photographic example of the "perfect" Mt. Goat kill shot. That should earn me a few green dots. Grin

CtP.......Good Job Brother!IMG_1174.jpgIMG_1189.JPG

Default photos

Hunt photos.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Photos

Spine, Lung, and Circulatory distruction= DRT

Cliffs.....just part of the deal.

Default Scenery Photos

Scenery....

Well done and great looking hide for an Aug goat!! What are the plans for it? Shoulder mount or rug?

Nice write up and pictures. I think i recognize that area. can't say that i have been up that high but have hunted/fished the valley bottoms if its the place i'm thinking of.

Bighorse,

Great story, photos and teamwork!

Enjoyed it and congrats to your partner on his first goat!

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great hunt!

I think that makes the score: Bighorse 2, Goats 0 Well done as always.

Great write-up!! Congrats on the hunt and love the pics of the dissected kill shot.. Wife and I are heading to Kodiak on a draw goat hunt in Oct. and hoping to match your success...great job

Great pics and story, congrats to you both....

I gotta say....what the hell is up with all the SUNSHINE in those pictures??? We've had nothing but rain all summer in the Susitna valley, yet its sunny in SITKA???

My wife is gonna kill me, she moved from Sitka to up north to get away from the rain!!!

Nice work once again Bighorse. Love the pics of the scenary man!!! Beautiful part of Alaska I have yet to experience. One of these days I need to head down there and you can school me up on all that is SE AK and maybe even bag my first ever blacktail to boot. Congrats to you and your hunting partner another hard earned well deserved animal. Thanks for sharing.

Nice job Horse. Man that looks like one of those rabbit fur hides, what a beaut. I may have to jump on the ferry soon and start chasing white dots if you keep posting stories like this.

Got to love our islands,thanks
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

AL, look me up if your serious about chasing BT in and around Sitka.

Those commenting on taxidermy and hide quality. Yes, it was a great specimen and of high quality. Craig decided to do a european mount on the skull and have a backskin throw. He's not in a house with a trophy room yet. We had a good discussion about it on the mountain and he did what suited him just fine. The meat has been most excellent. I honestly believe that a young billy such as this is the finest wild game meat.

Well done, nice story and pics!
    Patience, effort, and teamwork made for a great hunt and a very humane kill...
    Thanks for sharing...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Man, you really get out there and get the job done Bighorse!. Craig is real lucky to have an experienced guy take him up the mountain and show him the ropes. Congrats to you both on a successful trip.

Swimmer, I told Craig about your sweet sheep hunt too. He's curious if you two have met before.

Great post! Awesome story and photos. Taking a break from goat hunting for a year or two - and the photos of you guys and the goats clinging to the side of sketchy mountain faces and cliffs reminds me why! On the other hand, seeing those beautiful mountains and the gorgeous, majestic animals lets me know that I will be back after them at some point. If I can make it to Sitka, I will look you up for sure!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Big,

Always enjoy your hunt stories and pics, congrats to Craig on a fine goat.

Bighorse,
    Awesome write up! Couldn't have said it better. Fellas, Bighorse is a true mountain man who know's his stuff. It was an honor to follow in his footsteps.
    CGSwimmer, Thanks for the props, Looks like you and JNeil had a kick***** time in the mountains as well.
    As you can see, we timed it perfect with the weather, mountains and the goats. An awesome hunt for an awesome creature.
    Great times!!
    Thanks Big. Don't ever leave home w/out your OATS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast