Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of knot do you tie tippet to your leader with?

Default What type of knot do you tie tippet to your leader with?

I am in the rarity here I am sure, but I have never tied tippet onto my leader. I use the 7.5-10' leaders and when I use them up from tying on new flies, I tie on a new leader. Works pretty good for most fishing I have done.

However, will be fishing beads on the Upper Kenai Sept 18-30. I suspect that the 9-10' tapered leaders may have been a bit short last year. I would like to use a slightly longer leader this year and need to know the best way to add tippet to the leader to increase the overall length a few feet. Curious what type of knot folks use to do this.

Also, any general suggestions on leader length for the Upper Kenai in mid/late Sept would be helpful. In hindsight, I wonder if I was not fishing deep enough last year. While I am begging for info, I am curious how you know what length leader to fish. This is the first river I have fished in Alaska that I couldn't see the bottom. Wondering how you would go about selecting a 10', 12', or deeper leader. Thanks for any thoughts guys.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Double surgeon knot for sure. Super easy, fast, and strong, and they have never let me down even on big silvers on the Kenai. Just remember when tying that the two diameters of the lines to be tied are similar in size. So don't go tying a 5x tippet onto a 0x butt section if you know what I mean. 5x to 3x will work, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Dan
    I either use a blood knot or double uni.
    If you are indicator fishing you want enough leader/weight to occasionally tick bottom ('cause that's where the fishes is. )
    Generally you want twice the depth of the water you are fishing in leader length.
    There are spots in the middle river where I run 15' of leader below my float/indicator.

Loop-to-loop connection.

I use a non-slip mono loop tied on either (tippet, leader) end, then just "handshake" them. This way, I can pre-tie a pile of leaders and have them rigged to go with pegged beads and pinched barbs, ready to rumble...that way when I break off, it doesn't take me 600 yds of river to re-rig - ready to go in 30 seconds or less.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
    Double surgeon knot for sure. Super easy, fast, and strong, and they have never let me down even on big silvers on the Kenai. Just remember when tying that the two diameters of the lines to be tied are similar in size. So don't go tying a 5x tippet onto a 0x butt section if you know what I mean. 5x to 3x will work, but I wouldn't go further than that.
    Copy that.

I like the idea of G Smolt's pretied tippets, though.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Before this years trip to the Naknek I experimented with all my knots.... as a result I quit doing blood knots on heavy mono. (anything greater than five pound). A double surgeons knot is easy to tie and with Maxima the line will fail before the knot.

When using the small stuff I still tie with bloodknots, it's probably my muscle memory but I find them easier to tie with small mono.

L

I use a loop-to-loop like G Smolt. I've never done the pretied leader, but it's quick and idiot proof (just what I need).
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Blood knot, easy and quick once you get the hang of them.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am in the rarity here I am sure, but I have never tied tippet onto my leader. I use the 7.5-10' leaders and when I use them up from tying on new flies, I tie on a new leader. Works pretty good for most fishing I have done.
    -Dan
    It takes a secure man to admit this...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

However, will be fishing beads on the Upper Kenai Sept 18-30. I suspect that the 9-10' tapered leaders may have been a bit short last year. I would like to use a slightly longer leader this year and need to know the best way to add tippet to the leader to increase the overall length a few feet. Curious what type of knot folks use to do this.

Also, any general suggestions on leader length for the Upper Kenai in mid/late Sept would be helpful. In hindsight, I wonder if I was not fishing deep enough last year. While I am begging for info, I am curious how you know what length leader to fish. This is the first river I have fished in Alaska that I couldn't see the bottom. Wondering how you would go about selecting a 10', 12', or deeper leader. Thanks for any thoughts guys.

-Dan
    well i went out with a fly rod for the first time with Alaska Chuck and his wife this summer on the Denali Highway... i don't know how to explain the knot... but according to Chuck and june.... it's called a "Japanese F**k knot"...it seemed to work okay... except it was difficult to get through the tip, and acted like a bobber...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

+1 for the Loop to Loop. Quick, Easy, and Efficient.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

blood knot

Double surgeon, quick, easy and strong.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I also use the double surgeon.

ditto. plus it's the only one I remember how to do.

Loops...quick and easy...plenty strong.

Leader length...you can usually get by with 9 to 10 feet of leader and then attach your tippet to that. Just eyeball the guides and you'll see they aren't fishing much more than that. I would focus more on where you fish than trying to stretch your leader to 12 plus feet. Tapered leaders aren't required. Keep it simple and just use straight piece of mono 8-12#. A 200yd spool is around $12. Just add a tippet lighter than the leader.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by akspey View Post
    Tapered leaders aren't required. Keep it simple and just use straight piece of mono 8-12#. A 200yd spool is around $12. Just add a tippet lighter than the leader.

Good luck.
    I'd have to disagree... I hand tie all my leaders and tippet, from 25lb butt section down to 6lb tippet, for a reason... Much better presentation and a very noticeable difference in castability...

HOWEVER, that being said, if I'm just flipping beads then I can get by with just a butt section and a tippet.... Situation dictates.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am off tonight and the wife and I are about to have a knot tying party. She is absolutely stoked about the idea. Just last week she made me sit for hours making a shopping list for 6 dutch oven recipes to cook on the trip. We have spent that last 2 days talking about making clay beads. She really just can't get enough of this stuff. Yeah, I tend to stretch the truth.

I used tapered leaders last year and never "ticked the bottom" as Drifter suggest. Probably didn't fish deep enough in hindsight. Hoping to do better this year and catch more fish with any luck. Bought a bunch of Maxima 27 yd spools in 10, 12, and 15 test. Will consider putting some lengths of this together with the knots mentioned here to achieve a longer leader. Guess when I start hanging up on the bottom it will be obvious how long the leader should be for a given section of river. Using the Thingamabobbers it will be easy to adjust I suspect.

For now, thinking maybe a 12' overall length would make a good starting point. Maybe 7' of 15 lb, 3' of 12 lb, and 2' of 10 lb. At any rate, I appreciate your willingnesss to answer my question. One month to go and I am trying to get my ducks in a row. Looking forward to bettering last years results. Or have fun trying anyway.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Ok I have used several here, blood, double sugeons, double uni and loop to loop. My findings are as follows:

Blood- a bit tricky to tie and will fail before your nail knot will

Double surgeons- easy and fast to tie, fairly durable

Loop to loop (leader loop knot)- Weak and doesnt slide through the guides as well as the others, convience of being able to put on another tippet fast is lost due to lack of strength

Double Uni- Didnt believe it at first but easier than the blood to tie and by far the strongest knot out of the group, over the last year this has become my go-to knot. The only problem is that the nail knot for the leader will fail before this does (so i just use smaller tippet).

Hope that helps.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    according to Chuck and june.... it's called a "Japanese F**k knot"

Just doing a quick search on Google, no results were found

Thanks for the input Lefty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast