Thread: AR 15 in alaska

Default AR 15 in alaska

Im moving to Fairbanks in the spring for work, so im in the process of getting rid of some of my stuff before the move. So my question is would there be any use for my Rock River in 223 in the interior of alaska and if so do I need to do anything different in the colder temps, or is it just a waste of space. I have plenty of other rifles, handguns, and shotguns so its not like im unarmed.

That is one of most very favorite rifles to plink with. What a wonderfully made action and nice easy/cheap round.

I wouldn't go afield here with one. That's me though. Lots of people here will tell you that more caribou in Alaska have fallen with that round than any other; likely they're right.

I'd recommend bringing bigger hardware. Min. .44mag in a handgun, min. 300 or 30.06 in a rifle.

But going out plinking targets has its place too so heck, bring'm all.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Post often and a lot; its free.
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 08-17-2010 at 05:25. Reason: Just noticed it was post #1 for him

thanks familyman

if you get into predator hunting it is great! I use mine for fox and lynx and coyotes I also just took a 127 pound wolf with it last thursday! with the huge variety of bullet weights and type it is the perfect predator gun as you can see in those pics it did absolutely NO fur damage but when it was skinned it ripped the heart all to crap and if im going to go for fox or lynx i ust change to a 45 grain and there are still little effects on fur damage.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=wolf

How cold was it and is there any special precautions I need to take for freezing temps

It was like 56 degrees when I shot the wolf the only special thing I do for the winter is switch to a dry graphite lube in the spray can as opposed to a CLP or oil type lube because it wont necessarily freeze but it starts to gum up and can cause cycling issues or stop the bolt come closing all the way and when you go to fire all you get is a click.

thanks for the help Bsj425

None the less I would hold on to it because if you get here and decide you don't want it anymore you can get alot more $$ selling it up here than you would in the lower 48 at least from the prices I have seen lately. ALSO what method are you planning on moving here? taking the ferry or driving through Canada? Because if you are going through Canada you CANNOT take your AR through or your hand guns you will have to ship them ahead of time.

Default Competition?

The Mile 21 club up there (I think that's their name) does High Power matches, to which you could bring your AR and get into some competitive shooting.

Keep it but don't take it to Canada, they don't much like things that look like assault weapons or handguns. Just mail your non Canada friendly long guns from yourself to yourself with the USPS and FFL ship handguns.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Really interesting reading on this thread. Welcome to the thread. I am envious of your move to Alaska, wish it was me, but you will have many adventures and lots of memories as time goes by.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'd bring it, for sure. Good for predator hunting and very nice to have for a SHTF scenario as those types of semi-auto rifles will be in hot demand.