Thread: Copy/paste easier for editing?

Default Copy/paste easier for editing?

Does anyone use Copy/Paste from Word document for ease of long story posting. So you can do some editing without stressing about the twenty minute limit to edit?

I'm going to try some here:

Trying out a Copy Paste method of posting, looking for the right font size, would be so much easier but I don’t believe you can edit stuff then, so we’ll see

This is size 11
    Then : Size 14, then 12 looks about right

I am thinking I won't be able to edit this pasted stuff so here goes

Here's an edit with size 11:

Interesting the sizes went smaller, trying more size 11 here

Ok maybe that helps some folks, I'm going to try putting a hunt story together that is already written by copy/paste from Microsoft word doc. Man that'll be easier.
    Also apparently I can edit what was pasted, somehow I thought I had not been able to do that in the past
    If Windy Weather Blacktails turns into a nightmare I'll be back to explain what went wrong
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thumbs up Yes

That's the only way to fly, for something that you're writing from scratch, meaning more than just a reply (like I'm doing now).

Lots of time to proofread that way. And if you use this site to create an original writing, you're depending on your browser software, your own Internet connection, this server's Internet connection, the Internet connectivity between the two, and tons of other dumb stuff - and if any of them go wrong - poof! you've lost all your work.

Yes, use Word, or even Wordpad or Notepad, since you're not doing any formatting until its on this site anyway. Save to your hard disk often and a lot; never go longer than the amount of text that you care to re-type, between clicking the little disc icon in upper left corner (of word, or wordpad), to save your new version there on your computer.

Great tip for people, I say.

yeah, thanks,

it worked pretty well, beyond the possibility of getting too long winded for the reader, as I may have done.

Another tip I found for the reader is to double space between paragraphs, just hit "Enter" twice when you want a break.

Seems to make easier speed reading, especially of the notoriously small print on these mini laptops
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default might want to rethink that one

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Another tip I found for the reader is to double space between paragraphs, just hit "Enter" twice when you want a break.
    You're taking command of the reader's width when you do that, and that goes against web standards (for good reasons, considering the situation).

Everybody sees different widths, depending on their actual screen size, the screen resolution they've set for themselves, the relative window size of this active window they've opened.... etc... all of these issues are beyond your control.

Don't insert any extra "Enter" keys. You'll screw up more people's reading than you have helped.

Do a new paragraph often (2 enter keys), to space things out.

Your last line is what I'm doing I believe, just hitting enter which starts a new line, then one more time to create a break in the steady type print.

I think I get ya, it's been working an several different computers i read stuff on from this one a Mini with 10" screen to a huge one in my office, I sure hope I'm not messing with folks.

Here's an example, of what I'm doing. I'll go back and start a new paragraph at "Here's," on this sentence. by hitting Enter twice after "folks."

And again with this new sentence, does that work?

Default this is just a (rather extreme) example

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Your last line is what I'm doing I believe, just hitting enter which starts a new line, then one more time to create a break in the steady type print.

I think I get ya, it's been working an several different computers i read stuff on from this one a Mini with 10" screen to a huge one in my office, I sure hope I'm not messing with folks.

Here's an example, of what I'm doing. I'll go back and start a new paragraph at "Here's," on this sentence. by hitting Enter twice after "folks."

And again with this new sentence, does that work?
    Hey I saw
    what you wrote
    and that's cool
    because it stays
    in areas that are
    easier to read for
    me because I'm
    typing this on a
    cellphone and am
    sure that you're
    reading it the same
    way because that's
    what's cool today.

OK thats an example of what not to do. You take command of the users carriage return function (enter key) and you're sure to be wrong. Taking care of that is one of the very first things that the Internet browsing protocol (http) tried to address; kind of a to each their own kind of solution. Sorry, that's from 15 years ago, when the dinosaurs roamed the Internet Earth.

Ok, I get that, what you're doing with too many Enters,

Funny, the reference to "what's cool today" I can't do the cellphone thing cause I can hardly see it !!

Thanks, good info

I use Microsoft word documents and copy/pasted.
    The problem I am having is if I use a 16 point or 10 point type, a difference color other than black it all come out the same size and color black.

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    What am I doing wrong?
    Likely your paste is coming through as text only, and any special formatting you want in your post must be done here, on the forum, after your pasted yet before you post.

This means that after your paste, you must highlight certain words/whatever, and press the buttons just above this little box to italicize them, bold them, color them, or change their size/font, or whatever.

Use the Preview function to see if your formatting is right, and don't press the post button until it is.

Or if I've got the problem wrong, tell me again and I'll try again for a better answer. OK?

That is pretty much correct. The post field in the forum is an on the fly WYSIWYG editor. Essentially that means is that it transparently puts the correct formatting in your post to display it exactly how you see it in the field. The formatting is hidden in the background so it just looks like text to you. The background formatting between word and the vbulletin engine are not the same so the data that tells a .doc file to show text in red is not the same as the data that tells text to be displayed in red on the forum. The end result is that the cut and past feature turns the .doc formatting formatting from word into a direct text and kills most all of the special formatting.

Default uh.... ???

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That is pretty much correct....
    Uh..... pretty much?

None of that extra gobbledgook you mentioned is going to help him do his job better or more easier. Though it was all true, its just geek-details that don't matter. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Hey I saw
    what you wrote
    and that's cool
    because it stays
    in areas that are
    easier to read for
    me because I'm
    typing this on a
    cellphone and am
    sure that you're
    reading it the same
    way because that's
    what's cool today.

OK thats an example of what not to do. You take command of the users carriage return function (enter key) and you're sure to be wrong. Taking care of that is one of the very first things that the Internet browsing protocol (http) tried to address; kind of a to each their own kind of solution. Sorry, that's from 15 years ago, when the dinosaurs roamed the Internet Earth.
    FM:

Kodiak said: "Another tip I found for the reader is to double space between paragraphs, just hit 'Enter' twice when you want a break."

He has talking about paragraph breaks--not line breaks.

Let see if this works, I went to general setting and switch from text only to Enhanced Interface- full wysiwyg editing. Copy/paste to see what happen.

Looked like it work

General setting

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

Default Testing Font Size Again 12

Ok I forgot, so trying font 12 from M Word as a Paste over here to see if it comes out all right as a post, Here Goes,

So, after years of trying, I draw a First Season Raspberry Island Bull Elk Tag this year, Wahoo… My First Draw Ever. Determined I’m gonna Hunt Hard and Take Full advantage.

and Font size 11:

So, after years of trying, I draw a First Season Raspberry Island Bull Elk Tag this year, Wahoo… My First Draw Ever. Determined I’m gonna Hunt Hard and Take Full advantage.

Wow hard to tell the difference, does it auto change when posted?? We'll hit post and see

Uh Oh, glad I tested it, trying 14:

That is not working very well, so hope this is helpful as I try to remember how to do it,

I'll copy Paste a size 11, then if it doesn't come out big enough I'll try to change it in the edit/reply box ?

Ok, that worked, originally I used size 12 but it came out smaller than the normal forum font size so in Editing I was able to change to size 3,

Hope it works for my long post, here goes