Thread: Simple moose dryin' rack

Default Simple moose dryin' rack

Here's a simple dryin' rack I made for our moose meat:

All I did was grab some straight willows, two large ones for support beams, & x amount of lil' ones for hangin' beams, limbed them, barked them, & then I hung the two support beams at equal length, with string, from nails in the ceiling. I put the hangin' beams on, measured them to cut to 6" over hang, & then placed them on the support beams, let them swing & then come to rest, marked them with pencil, & then notched them to remain seated, so as not to move when you put your meat on the beam. Someone suggested that I drill a hole & hitch them to the cross beam, but that's not really necessary.

Here's the meat, hangin' to dry...SLRRRPPP!!!

This is very cool Goalie. How many pounds of meat do you have hanging in the picture? Will it all be used for jerky?

Congrats on the moose!

Thanks, Jay

Mill, Dunno how many pounds, but I did cut up 4, 1 gallon sized bags of strips for jerky...I cut some some steaks, & some cubes for stew meat, & I'll need to grind some of the meat for burger & spaghetti...Slrrpp...

hi congrates on the moose! I was looking to make some of my moose into jerky also can you help me out and tell me how to go about doing it..marinade...>>??

Thumbs up Apache...

it's pretty easy to do, all you need are the larger cuts of meat, slice them into steaks, 'bout an inch thick, & then cut your slices of meat outta those...you want the larger cuts, to help drap them over the poles, & you want them thin & even enough as well, to dry the same amount...

My marinade, is just store bought Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, from Sam's Club...I put the strips in 'bout a hand full at a time & poured enough sauce on them to cover them & move them 'round to get a nice even glaze...& then filled the back after that, & put them in my porch for 36 hrs...(porch doesn't get over 50 degrees, but if you want you can use yer fridge to marinate them in for 24-36hrs...)

Good luck my brother...

Thats the 'Crack' of jerky....The craving is very intense now........

The wife uses a simular deal in her rack, for Salmon strips that are getting smoked.
    great for the purpose, cheap and biodegradeable.....

Lotta people use the ol' dual purpose clothes lines/Indoor Jerky line and a fan come winter, and make it indoors, 'round here 'cause its sooooooo goooood..... ~~LOL!!!~~

Rock on!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....