Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Creek

Default Fish Creek

Going off a tip from a coworker, a buddy and I decided to hit this place up after work. I've never fished it before but I did find some fresh chrome after about 1 hour of exploring. Definitely a blast on the fly rods. I still cannot picture people dipnetting this place, it's such a tiny stream! ESL's and MOAL Leeches were the ticket. Those fished absolutely smashed them!

Fish On!

P8163092.jpgP8163098.jpg
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Good Job! I like the photos! nice and chrome but are you aware of this? In the Fish Creek drainage, from ADF&G markers at its mouth upstream to ADF&G markers ¼ mile upstream from the Knik-Goose Bay Rd., open season for all species except king salmon is August 14–December 31. Fishing is allowed only on Saturdays and Sundays and only between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

drifter, read the EOs. Fish, Cottonwood, and Wasilla creek (rabbit slough) were opened up for Monday fishing also.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Cool! Good to know thanks. Does that still mean 6 to 6

http://sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/EO...ik_silvers.pdf

Yep, good thing I read the EO before we left...

Fish On!

nice fish! I might just have to try geting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Going off a tip from a coworker, a buddy and I decided to hit this place up after work. I've never fished it before but I did find some fresh chrome after about 1 hour of exploring. Definitely a blast on the fly rods. I still cannot picture people dipnetting this place, it's such a tiny stream! ESL's and MOAL Leeches were the ticket. Those fished absolutely smashed them!

Fish On!

P8163092.jpgP8163098.jpg
    Dont you guys ever work???

ok, I am jealous.....good job too both you young Jedi
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Fish On!

P8163092.jpgP8163098.jpg

Very nice picture (holding fish). Tell the photographer good job. It's not easy taking a great fishing photo...just ask my wife...lol God bless her, I just tell folks the fish I caught had no tail and half a head!

Hmmm, that's the same thing I tell fish and feathers when they say my my cleaned fish looks like it might have been a little bit long for the slot limit.

How do you get to Fish Creek?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    it's down Knik goose bay road.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    it's down Knik goose bay road.

Quite a few miles outside Wasilla...

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Dont you guys ever work???

ok, I am jealous.....good job too both you young Jedi
    Work? Whats that? I tell yeah man, this is one of the reasons I moved here, I can find good salmon/trout fishing after work if I wanted too...

Fish On!

I gotta quit drinking. I was there a few weeks ago.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i gotta quit drinking. I was there a few weeks ago.

now thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Haha, that is funny...

I dipped a few coolers full there myself. Do any of you know where the sport fishing limits are on the creek? I'm thinking about heading out this weekend to let my wife catch her first silver for her birthday.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I dipped a few coolers full there myself. Do any of you know where the sport fishing limits are on the creek? I'm thinking about heading out this weekend to let my wife catch her first silver for her birthday.
    Two Per Day...Page 2 on the link.

http://sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/St.../SCknikarm.pdf

Fish On!

Fish On!
    SPORT FISHING
    Emergency Order
    Under Authority of AS 16.05.060
    Emergency Order No. 2-SS-2-42-10 Effective Date: 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 7, 2010
    EXPLANATION:
    ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH & GAME
    Issued at: Palmer, Wednesday, August 4, 2010
    Expiration Date: 11:59 p.m. Friday, December 31, 2010, unless superseded by subsequent emergency order.
    This emergency order increases the bag limit for coho salmon from two per day to three per day in those waters of the Knik Arm drainage open to fishing for salmon (other than king salmon), excluding the Little Susitna River and Jim Creek, beginning 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 7, through December 31, 2010. In addition, this emergency order adds Mondays to the regular weekend-only fisheries of Cottonwood, Fish, and Wasilla creeks, extending the two-day weekend fishery to a three-day fishery each Saturday through Monday beginning Saturday, August 7, 2010. This emergency order also opens Fish Creek to sport fishing one week early.
    REGULATION:
    The provisions of 5 AAC 60.120 General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area (2)(A) and 5 AAC 60.122 Special provisions and localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area (4)(A), (5)(A), and (11)(D) are superseded by this emergency order. Under this emergency order, the following provisions are effective beginning 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 7, through 11:59 p.m. Friday, December 31, 2010:
    60.120 General provisions for seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area.
    (2) salmon other than king salmon, (A) 16 inches or greater in length may be taken from August 7 December 31; bag and possession limit is three fish, of which all three may be coho salmon, excluding the Little Susitna River and Jim Creek; in the Little Susitna River and Jim Creek, the bag and possession limit is three fish, of which no more than two per day and two in possession may be coho salmon;
    5 AAC 60.122 Special provisions and localized additions and exceptions to the seasons, bag, possession, and size limits, and methods and means for the Knik Arm Drainages Area.
    (4) in the Cottonwood Creek drainage, (A) from August 7 December 31, from its mouth upstream to an ADF&G marker located one mile upstream from the Palmer Hayflat State Game Refuge access road, sport fishing is allowed on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.;
    (5) in the Fish Creek drainage,
    Emergency Order Number 2-SS-2-42-10 August 4, 2010 Page 2
    (A) the waters from ADF&G regulatory markers located at its mouth upstream to an ADF&G regulatory marker located one-quarter mile upstream from the Knik-Goose Bay Road, are open to sport fishing from August 7 December 31 on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., except that sport fishing for king salmon is closed;
    (11) the Wasilla Creek drainage, including Rabbit Slough, (D) from August 7 December 31, downstream of the Alaska Railroad bridge is open to sport fishing for salmon, except king salmon, on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; bag and possession limit of three fish, of which all three may be coho salmon; a person who takes the bag limit of salmon from Wasilla Creek may not sport fish for any species of fish that same day in waters open to sport fishing for salmon;
    JUSTIFICATION:
    By delegation to:
    Denby S. Lloyd, Commissioner
    ____________________________ Dave Rutz,
    Area Management Biologist
    The 2010 return of coho salmon to certain Knik Arm Drainage Area waters of Northern Cook Inlet appears to be strong and providing for above average recreational catch rates. Coho salmon returning to Fish Creek are counted at a weir located upstream of the Knik Goose Bay Road, and upstream of the sport fishery. This weir is primarily operated to count sockeye salmon; therefore it is typically only in operation during a portion of the coho salmon return. Historically, this weir has been used to count coho salmon and historically had an escapement goal of 1,200 to 4,400 fish. As of August 3, counts show 1,386 coho salmon have passed the weir and the current projected escapement of coho salmon into Fish Creek is estimated to be approximately 12,000 fish.
    Based upon previous studies, there is a strong correlation between runs to Fish Creek and the other Knik Arm streams, specifically Cottonwood and Wasilla creeks. Therefore, it is warranted to increase the bag limit from two per day to three per day in all waters of Knik Arm, except the Little Susitna River and Jim Creek, and to add another day on the weekend only fisheries of Cottonwood, Fish, and Wasilla creeks to Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
    It is not anticipated that the increased sport harvest from this emergency order will lower the escapement below desired escapement levels in Cottonwood, Fish, and Wasilla creeks.
    DISTRIBUTION:
    The distribution list for this emergency order is on file at the Region 2 Office of Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish, 333 Raspberry Road, Anchorage, AK 99518, (907) 267-2218.

Fish On!
    Thanks! I found the EO, but I'm seeing 3 per day. Where's the 2 per day limit? I'm confused....or blind.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast