Thread: Kasilof Reds?

Default Kasilof Reds?

My wife & I returned from Alaska about a week ago. Did not catch any Kings, but my wife found another salmon that she likes to fish for more- REDS!!!! Cabin (in Soldotna) already reserved for July 20 to 30, 2011. As you can see, we are already planning for 2011. Wife wants to spend majority of our fishing time after reds.
    I have seen a fair number of posts about bank fishing for reds on the Kenai, but not many for the Kasilof.
    Are there public access points along the Kasilof that are good for bank fishing? "FREE" would be great, but also the "For Fee" areas too. Is there a brochure / pamphlet / website (also for the Kenai) that shows or lists the access points?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good question Prof. I'd be interested in that info also. Wasn't aware of the "For Fee" aspect, are you speaking of State Park facilites or private business locations?

Glad to hear your wife got into the Reds. Did it take you folks long to pick up the technique necessary to line them? Fly or spin?

We'll be in the Soldotna area from July 19-25 next year for some offshore charters but hope to have some time to try for a few Reds too.

- Jay

Jay,
    Sent a PM your way.
    The "fee" areas are private or government (city, borough, or state) owned. Not all are "fee". Found a great deal of info on the Alaska Fish & Game website www.adfg.state.ak.us.
    Did not take long to learn the "red salmon sling". Actually pretty fun. Wife does not really fish outside of Alaska times & she had it down by the end of the first day. As for the setup- we used fly rods, but I saw other using baitcasting, spincasting, and spinning setups. Did not seem to matter what the rod / reel type was- just the "sling".
    Mike