Thread: Teach me! Want to look at getting into boating, questions!

Question Teach me! Want to look at getting into boating, questions!

Hey guys,

So after spending the last 12 years fishing the banks of Southcentral, me and my buddy would like to look at getting a riverboat of some type in order to fish the Deshka, Su, and boat-only parts of the Kenai. We are talking about stashing as much cash away this winter as possible and trying to find something next spring. Both being young (20/21) and in college full time, we're guessing our budget, if we're lucky, to only be 6-7K tops.

Neither of us really knows much about boats, is this something you can jump into and learn as you go, more-or-less? (obviously the salt and the Kenai are not places to learn) Is this even a feasible budget? From reading on here it seems as if a jet would be preferable, as it allows you to run farther up river in many places?

Any information or sources you all can provide would be most appreciated! We'd be looking for something that would do well on the Deshka/Sue/Willow/Kenai and could seat 2-4 (preferably at least 3).

Thanks guys!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

If you want to run the Kenai and the mat-su rivers your only option is something with a 50hp 4 stroke jet. You should be able to find a basic jon boat w/tiller steering set up somewhere in your price range. It won't be anything fancy, but it will get you off the bank! If your willing to give up the Kenai you will be able to get something with a two stroke a lot cheaper.

With 2 guys and I assume 2 vehicles you may be able to do more with a cataraft. If that is not appealing then a jon boat as mentioned w/ a 4stroke tiller would likely be your best bet. The 50hp 4stroke rule on the Kenai is a killer restriction when added into the mix for a multipurpose boat, especially one on a budget!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

B O A T = Break Out Another Thousand
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    B O A T = Break Out Another Thousand

Vince ain't kidding. Keep in mind that after you buy a boat, it will take money to keep it going.

I don't have much in my boat beyond the purchase price. How do I do it you ask? The key is not using the boat!! 2 years of not using it and I have only put a new water pump impeller, steering cable and trailer bunks in it. I got all the labor done by loaning it out to other people!! Come to think of it I think I own my friends boat. I make the payment and they take it fishing. On the positive I do save money on gas that way!

I would suggest taking a Coast Guard Auxilary boating safety class this fall. This will provide you with a good foundation of boating and boating safety for you guys to build from and might also keep you from becoming a statistic. Below is a link to the class schedule.

http://cgauxalaska.org/Public%20Education.html

A very basic Lund skiff, either flatbottom or vee, with a 40HP tiller steer will take you anywhere you need to go on the Kenai, Lower Little Su, or Deshka, without a jet unit. A prop boat on those waters will be fine. Get one with a jet and you will be even better off. I see them all the time for sale on Alaska List and Craigslist for your price range.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

hard to beat the 16' (+/-) LUND shallow Vee. 50hp 4strk tiller... and set it up so you can switch back and forth from prop to jet. (main concern there will be w/ transom height) That'd be an all around deshka / Little Sue / Kenai / Biglake fishgetter.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into a Lund or similar as well as the CG boating classes.

Jon

As stated keep in mind buying the boat is the "cheap" part. All the other goodies add up fast. (gas, maintanance, tow vechical, and so on)
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Sit in front of your fireplace. Start lighting 100 dollar bills. Watch them burn. Enjoy the little bit of heat and light they put out. When you enjoy that and it feels like fun your ready to buy a boat. I have a cat and a drift boat so far and sure I will aquire another boat in a year or two. I have owned 2 jet boats also. The joy and frustration the bring cannot be put into words. Every run is an adventure
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Sit in front of your fireplace. Start lighting 100 dollar bills. Watch them burn. Enjoy the little bit of heat and light they put out. When you enjoy that and it feels like fun your ready to buy a boat. I have a cat and a drift boat so far and sure I will aquire another boat in a year or two. I have owned 2 jet boats also. The joy and frustration the bring cannot be put into words. Every run is an adventure

Encouraging ChucK! I know you have a blast in your boats, so I'm hoping it won't be a bad experience overall. Adventure is good! So long as I'm home in one piece at the end of the weekend and nothing is irreplaceably gone, I'm happy.

Jon

My first boat up here was an 18' Lund with a 40hp Yamaha. I fished the Kenai and took it in Cook Inlet to troll for kings (when they were still there) and halibut on good days. It was awhile ago but the price isn't much different now a days. I would look for a boat and trailer and then look for a used 4 stroke so you aren't left out of the Kenai in July. I actually helped a buddy sell an 18' Lund with a 25hp 4 stroke this past summer for $5500. By starting now you will save money by putting a package together. Good luck.

Oh Yes!

Once you get the B O A T then its time to... BOHICA

LOL!

Do you "know" if you are a boat type person or not? There is only one test I know of that will help you get an idea if a boat is for you or not. Go to your Bank/Credit Union and get a crisp, new $1,000 bill. Hold the bill by one corner and take a lighted match to the other end. As the bill burns, do not drop it or try to put the fire out. Allow the fire to burn your fingers. When there is nothing left but ash look to see what your reaction was. If you were able to do this without crying or becoming upset, you might be a boat person :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You guys are being a little rough, lol.

Find a good flat/semi V bottom and if you do the proper maint. on it, you can have years of fun. ( at little cost)

Keep in mind though that a jet and a prop act differant.

A prop will act on demand, where as a jet will leave you a little bewilderd at times, lol.

(Lamans terms, the prop grabs and will turn you on a dime. The jet will slide a flat bottom boat right out from under you. We call it swapping ends on the jet.)

Good info! Thanks Rock Skipper.

I know they can be expensive, though I didn't realize a flat bottom river boat like this would be so $$$. But hey if it gets me on fish...

Jon