Thread: Overwhelmed in Eielson

Default Overwhelmed in Eielson

So I have been planning my first moose hunt for the better part of a year, I will be bowhunting. I grew up hunting and though I have bow hunted before I haven't been particularly sucsessful. Not from lack of practice but the hunts have been far and few between. *I was primarily a rifle hunter growing up.*

I have been reading, researching, going through checklist etc etc. *I have spent countless hours scouring maps and time checking trails, lakes, fields and the like. I feelike I'm am pretty informed and i am a capable stalker. But I still feel like I am missing stuff and quite honestly I'm feeling a bit over whelmed.*

What I am looking for is insight from those how have done it alone and really anyone else with useful tips and gee-whiz stuff. I'm not looking for "your" special spot or for anyone to give me a free ride. I understand you have to earn those priveledge tidbits.*

Now I guess I should give you all the who, what, when and all that. I will be hunting primarily on Eielson AFB land and wainwright areas too. I'm not tying myself only to those areas but I am pretty lost to land ownership around here. I wouldn't mind a rifle hunt but the lands I've chosen for now are bow only. I'm a solid shot to 60yrds, I haven't practiced past that becuase "I" don't think it's wise to shoot out that far. I've been practicing my bull grunts and cow calls, even have my kids doin them with me. *I've got all the gear and motivation. *

I meantioned a bit about what im looking for earlier so let me expand a bit. As of recently I was down right euphoric looking forward to my hunt. Now I am a bit overwhelmed and almost dreading it due to the likely chance of failure to harvest. *I may of put an unrealistic goal in front of my. *I would like helpful info in regards to basic techniques, info about hunting these lands, stories, anidotes anything helpful.*

Please don't include stuff like do a search of "xxxxx" in the forums. I assure you I have pretty much exhausted the search engine. I want to have a give and take session to actively learn from interaction.*

I thank you in advance for your help and patients. * * *Oh and sorry if this is sloppy and full of misspelled words I'm typing from a stupid phone

2 questions are you planning on a solo hunt? and you may want to choose a different location as Eielson and the YTA get PACKED to the point of literally running into other people. If you are planning on a solo and would like to partner up I would be glad to go with you as I know of many other places in the surrounding areas that dont get nearly as much pressure and I have already been scouting for a couple of weeks and seen many of spike and forks and a few big bulls. Also do you have an ATV? that will help you get off the road and away from a majority of the crowds.

I planned on a solo hunt just because I don't have many friends that are too into hunting. I have one buddy that is gonna head out when we can but nothing confirmed or solid. I do own an ATV and planned on using it to get into an area and then walking a bit. I figured a mile or two pack isn't too bad at worst. I have my frame-pack and am ready to work my butt off. I really appreciate the invite to tag along. I will PM you and get some details. I just found out I most of the YTA is only open until the 7th, the Army must hate hunters lol. Unfortunately I haven't been here for my full year as a resident so I can't hunt in "20B remainder" until the 5th so on Army land I get a whopping 2 days and then I get to fight the crowd on Eielson.

Anyway I appreciate the offer and I will be getting with you shortly.

Check into Far North Archer Assoc to meet with some folks. I think they're based out of Eielson or North Pole. They have an indoor range in the basement of one of the older buildings on Eielson.

http://www.thearcher.com/clubs/cDetails.cfm?cid=369
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"